Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: behavior changes

Hi Aly, it's very hard for you right now, I think we have all been through a difficult time with our pets one way or another, you have done the best for all of you. Harley seems to be very outgoing and there is someone out there just waiting for him. I'm sure you can work something out with the person who takes him either communicating on Petoftheday, or maybe you will be able to visit or they will send you photos. You have been the best Mom to all your sweeties and are doing your very best to keep them all happy.

I forgot to tell you guys.. I got the dogs groomed on Friday. When I was in line to drop them off, Harley was barking because the other dogs were exciting him. This woman said really loud for all to hear, "That is a MEAN dog!" Then to her dog she said "You are the only good dog here." She then requested very loudly that my dogs (Reece was being quiet and just sitting there) be kenneled far away from her dog or she'd never come back. All Harley was doing was barking. It wasn't even a vicious bark. I told her that he's not mean, just excited and she ROLLED her eyes at me. Ugh, it made me so mad.

Anyway, the funny part of the story was when I went to pick them up. I saw a little wirehair fox terrier in one of the kennels up front. My sister was with me and started calling Harley's name to the fox terrier. I told her that wasn't Harley, that dog was about half his size. But then the woman took him out of the kennel to give me! I tried to tell her it was the wrong dog! He wasn't even responding to his name. Turns out it was Harley afterall. That was the first time I had him shaved and I didn't even recognize him. I can't wait to get pictures developed. He wasn't responding to his name because he was digging in his kennel trying to get to the dog next to him. The silly boy never gives up

They did quite a number on Reece too. They froofed his hair up so much. His head and tail were puffballs and his body was shaved. I had some water in the car and I had to get his hair damp to bring back his little curls. I'm still not used to these two naked, skinny dogs running around

Just wanted to let you know you are on my mind and in my prayers. It was so sweet of you to get Harley groomed before you let him go. It is just another example of how you are doing everything possible to give him the best chance of becoming someone's forever dog. You are his angel. I only hope that the person who adopts him will keep in touch not only with you but with us, so that he can still be part of our extended family. (For some reason I am drawn to the stubborn, hard headed ones.)
    Look forward with optimism for your little boy and for the peace that Shiloh deserves, and please try not to grieve anymore.

Aly,

I am thinking about you on this day You poor thing. Such a hard decision. Just stay strong and know that everything will be OK. It will be hardest on you then any of the animals, including Harley. He'll be so busy playing with his new family members that he won't have much time to worry about his new home. He'll be so happy...a new playmate! Shiloh will be so happy too, she'll breath a huge sigh of relief...she's been hunted for the last many weeks and she'll finally begin to feel like a pet and not a game animal. Just be brave I wish I could help you more. You are such a kind person with such wonderful love for animals and you did everything in your power to prevent this issue from getting as bad as it is. It truly is fate that Reese came into your life to help mend your heart while you had to part with Harley. What angels our animals are.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Aly,
    Hold on. This is going to be the hardest day for you, but you must let go. It is for the greater good that you let him go. He will always remember you for the love and kindness you've shown him. Be strong. You have no other choice. It is fate that brings him to a new home. I'm sure he'll love it there. Your job is almost over. You've done the right thing even though it cost a piece of your heart. My thoughts are with you.
    Sue

Aly, This is your last night with Harley so I know you are very sad probably right about now. Maybe it will help to know that we are here are thinking of you. Snuggle up close to Harley tonight and give him lots of hugs and kisses from all of us. Happier days are ahead.

Aly, have been thinking about you tonight and hoping you had a good day with Harley and hope you both sleep peaceful tonight. I hope tomorrow when you turn Harley over to someone else you feel pride in all that you have done for him and that will help him adjust quickly into his new life. Try to feel happy for him. Wish you all well.

How blessed to have been a waystation
    For a pup who needed you so
    And in reminded him what it means to be loved
    Makes it more heartbreaking to have to let go.

How sweet to welcome a visitor
    Into home and heart and all your lives
    Not knowing it was to be temporary
    Just caring and saving his life

How brave, how sad for Shiloh cat
    To share her home and your love like that
    And though he couldn't overcome his terrier genes
    You tried to make it work, tried so many means

How sad it must be, this last night
    To have to do what you mind knows is right
    But your aching heart doesn't care why
    So hard it is to make this solemn good-bye

How joyful it is, smile with aching heart
    You know, we know, that for all he must depart
    And that silly sunny goofy face
    Will be better off in another home, another place

How sweet it will be, to give him to one
    Who knows how he his, knows what he's done
    But makes room in her home, a waystation to be
    And promises to find a good home for Harley

He's been groomed and bathed and is spiffy as can be
    He's been loved and hugged repeatedly
    And you, brave as you can be, will let him go
    And you know, don't you, that he'll always know
    That love exists, that he can be worthy of praise
    And he'll carry you in his doggy heart, too
    No matter where he spends his days

For Shiloh, dear Shiloh, the worry will finally cease
    She'll still have a dog-friend in brother Reece
    The stress will dissipate, the heartbreak dull to an ache
    And at last, when all is settled, there will again be peace.

Chin up, Aly, be a good boy Harley
    And Reece, be extra sweet to Shiloh and Mama these next couple days, okay?

Good luck to you Aly and to Harley too, will be thinking of you tonight and tomorrow.

Karen that was beautiful. Everytime I read the latest post in this topic I cry, and that poem was so perfect and beautiful I cried even harder.

Aly, I hope you had a nice day with Harley yesterday and it helped you build some good memories for you to hold on to.

Love to you, Harley, Reese, and Shiloh on this sad day.

-Leslie

God be with you, Harley and Aly.

Aly: I have been reading these posts for the past week and my heart goes out to you. You are a very kind, loving and caring person - you have a difficult task today and yet you are carrying it off with grace and courage. I do not know you personally but I can feel the love you have for Harley and all your pets. As hard as it is to give him up you are doing what is best for all. You, Harley, Shiloh and Reece are in my thoughts and prayers today.

Carolyn

Bless you Aly. Bless you precious, precious Harley and prayers that your transistion into your new home is a happy one. Aly,
    I know in your heart you will always think of yourself as Harley mom, and he will always love you. You are so brave Aly. I hope you have the chance to visit Harley often. I can't read or think about this without crying. Love Sandra

Oh, dear Aly, I just wanted to let you know that I was thinking of you all day. What you have had to do today was probably one of the hardest things you have had to experience. You did the right thing though. I want you to know that I admire you for the strength and courage you have shown through this whole situation. YOu are an inspiration. I just wanted to let you know my thoughts and prayers are with you on this day and in the days days to come.

I just got home. I am not handling this well at all. The important thing is Harley, Shiloh, and Reece are all happy. I wanted to tell everyone thanks for thinking of me, it really helped me on the long drive home alone. I will post the details when I am feeling better.