Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Depression

Depression

Ok, after weeks of saying I'm slipping into depression, I finally realized, I'm no longer slipping, I'm there. I don't need to count off all my symptoms to you all, I'm sure you've noticed a change in me the past few months.

I decided today that I'm going to meet with my doctor to discuss possibly taking some antidepressants. I know a lot of you have experience with the different drugs out there, so I wanted input before I went to the doctor to make sure I'm not put on something that has given other people bad side effects. I'm not talking about side effects like headache or diarrhea.... I'm sure you know what other side efects I'm talking about.

Nobody has to say which drugs they are currently on if they don't want to -- please PM me if you're not comfortable telling the world which medicine you take.

I was on somethign 3 years ago for anxiety. Maybe it is all just anxiety leading to the depression. It worked wonders for me right away and I felt like my old self. I want to be me again. This blah person who takes naps every day and is quick to flare up is getting on my nerves I want to be passionate again. I want to feel hope again. I want my memory back! (LOL) I just want to be ME again, and this person I've been the last few months isn't me. All I know is I'm in a bad depression right now. I know the symptoms from the last two times I got this low... right after grandmom died and right as my last job ended.

I take a combination of Lexapro and Strattera. The worst thing about antidepressant medication is that it takes so long to reach it's full effectivenesss--4-6 weeks. I was told that if one kind didn't work, not to give up because sometimes it takes a few trials to get the right medication, or combination of medications, for you. But I whole-heartedly believe in them, and they have made a HUGE difference in my life, for the better. I will be on them for the rest of my life because of a brain chemical imbalance, and I am very thankful for them. Anyone who has never experienced it, can't understand it. Don't let anyone tell you that "you shouldn't take them because you'll get addicted to them", etc. Lots of people will say they don't believe in these kinds of medications (Tom Cruise, for instance!), but then they apparently have never experienced true depression that is caused by a brain chemical imbalance.

I hope you get started on one that is effective for you right away, without having to go through a lot of trial and error first. But don't get too discouraged, the right medication or combination of medications IS out there!

Good luck!

Deb
    Rest in Peace, dear Oreo: April 20, 1997-July 18, 2011
    :Rest in Peace, beautiful Sandi: March 18, 1994-January 23, 2010

::
    Rest in Peace, sweet Angel: July 1, 2001-May 14, 2009

Deb

I've never taken any antidepressants but my husbands has. The doctor put him on Wellbutrin he was trying to stop smoking at the time, its supposed to help take the edge off. He hated it. He said it made him feel very angry all the time. But I know it does work for a lot of people. I'm sure your doctor will work with you and find what's best for you.

I'm sorry to here you are feeling so down. I hope you feel better soon. You will be in my thoughts. (((Hugs)))

Thank you Kay for the beautiful sig!

"We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals"

~Find the seed at the bottom of your heart and bring forth a flower~

My brother was on anti depressants when he died (we think) I am still waiting for the autopsy report to see if they complicated his condition. So I guess I am wary of them right at the moment.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

The first medicine I tried was Lexapro. It did work, but it stopped working.
    The second medicine (the one I am on now) is Zoloft. The dosage was raised a few times when it seemed to becoming less effective. When it worked, it worked great! But I am going to ask for yet a third attempt since I have been feeling super bad myself lately.
    I too just want to be the happy-go-lucky person that I know lives deep inside me. Not this heavy hearted person I have been lately.
    Unfortunatley my Dr. appt. isn't for another month.

But sheesh. I sure don't want to get a medication that makes me feel angry! That is the LAST thing I need on top of everything.

Good luck catnapper getting a proper medication.

Lexapro! thats the anxiety med I was on 3 years ago. I tworked almost immediately, but like Jen, it faded within 6 months til the point where I didn't feel it worked at all. I just weaned off of it at that point since I left he job that caused all the anxiety and depression.

Thanks guys - its good to hear alternate ideas.

((((hugs)))) I'm sorry that you are going through a difficult time, but I'm glad that you are seeking help. Typically anti-depressants are extremely helpful once you figure out what works best for you. It may take some trial and error, which may require some patience on your part. Lots of times people have the most problems with anti-depressants when they can't find the right one to work for them or they have been on the same one for a long time and the effectiveness wears off some. I am currently on Effexor, which works great for me, but the withdrawal is hell. If you miss even one pill, you will experience withdrawal, and it's horrible. I have heard some things about Wellbutrin too, that people have had problems with it. It really just depends on what works for you. Good luck, and keep us updated!

EDIT: Just read that you were on Lexapro before, Effexor is very similar to Lexapro so maybe you might have better luck with that one....just don't miss a pill!

I don't have experience with any particular drug, but I'd encourage you to seek counseling (if your insurance covers it) as well as an antidepressant. The drug will improve your mood, but some kind of counseling will help in the long run, too. I think together they work best. You mentioned anxiety, this is often present with depression and if you think you may suffer from both maybe you could mention that to your doctor- there might be a drug to treat both. I'm sorry you're feeling low. Good luck at the doctor's, and I hope things start looking up for you soon.

I was on Effexor, it worked wonders for me. I love it. It made me, ME again. My only problem with it and all medications is, I forget to take them. It gave me the energy that I never thought I had or forgot I had. It made me happy, and I was smiling again.

My doctor first put me on Wellbutrin. I am a smoker and he said it would help me slow down on my smoking. It made me smoke more I noticed. He figured that wasn't the right medication for me.

I don't really know what all you are going through but if you ever need to talk I am here. I understand how you feel.
    Gracie and Rachel looking out the window together.

I would also suggest therapy, as well. I can't remember what I used for a short time but it seemed to help. Later, I was given Welbutrin and didn't like it at all because it sped up my heart. I only took one pill. Therapy will help you a lot. They say you need both for the medication to work as well as possible.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

My mom asked me: "If you have a medication, why do you need counselling?"

I answered, "Mom, let's assume for the sake of argument I was born with depressive illness(which I was). I have to relearn and unlearn a lifetime of attitudes, thinking and reactions that have resulted from living with this untreated illness. A pill won't do that."

Sure makes it EASIER though!

Will PM you with more...HUGS HUGS HUGS
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I was on lexapro, and switched to celexa. The only thing I noticed is that I actually get bored now. I used to be just fine staring at the wall.

It did help for a week or so, as far as having a lil more engergy to clean house. But mine wore off faster than yalls At times I feel.. maybe I'm just ment to not be happy.

But really.. I know I can be happy, and I think the only thing that might cure me is to go back to my home state to be closer to my mom. And what few friends I had.

I'm all alone here except for the people that live in my house. I really miss my mom.

But my husband doesn't want to move back. NOt for a couple years anyways. But at the rate my depression is taking me, I don't think I can wait that long. I might end up leaving and telling him that if he loves me, he will follow. He works for Walgreens as a pharmacist, he can get a job easily there. But he says it's all the hassle of moving out of state, selling house and re-exam for his pharm license.

I'm sorry Catnapper! Ihope things get better for you! Depression really sux

As I have shared here many times in the past, I have Major Depressive Illness and also recently diagnosed with Bi-Polar II Disorder. I have tried many antidepressants through the years, and the one that has worked best has been Celexa. Since my BPII diagnosis, I was also started on Lamictal which helps with anxiety and mood swings as well. I applaud you in recognizing when you need help, and not being afraid or ashamed to ask for it!

You know I am only a phone call away too, right?

HUGS,
    Kim

I'm on 2o mg of celexa and have been on it for 2 weeks. I'm still waiting to feel better.

I had one doctor who insisted that my depression should eventually be battled with therapy *and* medication. But, for the time being, she prescribed Zoloft. The next doctor I saw (not but two weeks after, but same office) said I didn't even have depression because what I was going through wasn't "real" and I just needed to get over it. Well, I immediately divorced the pediatrician.

So, I transfered to my current doctor who I LOVE! He actually listened to me, listened to my problems, listened to what I had to say. It was awesome. And he trusted me taking antidepressants. So, he kept me on Zoloft, and is allowing me to bump myself up every 4-6 weeks in 25mg increments. He went through everything, but all in all, he trusts me to do what's right for me.

So I'm currently on 75mg of Zoloft, and in a few weeks, I'll be bumping up to 100mg. I'm actually doing a lot better on this medication, but bumping it up may make things better. But if it makes things worse, I'll just go back down to 75mg.

On this medication, I can actually wake up without wanting to cry. And go to bed at night, without tears in my eyes. I can talk about my problems without getting over emotional and shutting everyone out. I feel more comfortable in my skin, and I feel more confident. I feel more rational, and I feel more stable. I no longer feel that I'm walking on egg shells around *myself*.
    ~Sara, Daisy, Jessie, Jake, & Jackson

<3 Gone but never forgotten <3
    {Benjamin, Russell, Chester, Dexter, George Harrison, & Leeroy} {O.D.} {Trey} {John-Paul & Earl}