Thread: Humane Society!

Humane Society!

I went to the humane society to volunteer today, and i just want everyone to know i am very upset with the treatment i recieved when i was there! it makes me so mad that people can just shove these poor dogs in cages and leave them there! i admitt that they acted like they were walked quite often! BUT i do NOT agree with any sort of organization that puts animals down because no one wants to invest in a pet at that time! GRRR....!!! Not to mention that the help...double GRRR....was extremely rude to me! *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by coco-bean
    BUT i do NOT agree with any sort of organization that puts animals down because no one wants to invest in a pet at that time! GRRR....!!! Not to mention that the help...double GRRR....was extremely rude to me! *sigh*
    Honestly, I would rather see a animal put to sleep then spend long stretches confined to a kennel. IMO it is almost cruelty to the animal to keep it alive in such conditions.

Humane Society workers have a very thankless job and must see horrible things day in, day out. i doubt their intention was to be rude to you, and that you DO decide to volunteer a few times a week. I am sure they need all the help they can get.

I Completely agree with the thankless'ness of the job and sometimes it must be tough on them to get no thanks from people who love animals not quiet as much as us(haha)! I also agree that being kept in a kennel for days and even months is completely torchering to the dogs, but i just have faith that people like us will be there to find that one special dog before it's too late! My heart is just too big and my pockets too empty to take them all home maybe someday though!
    Thanks for the imput!!

I'm sorry to say this, but I think you are over-reacting a little. Look at the bigger picture, these animals are in cages because they are waiting to get adopted into good homes. If the animals were in cages for a long period of time, I'm sure they would be put to sleep, which I would hate to see. But I honestly think if they are in cages for a little over 2 weeks it isn't a big deal because they do get walked, fed, and well cared for and then finally adopted. If the dog was abused and left on a chain with no good care outside, I would rather see them in a cage at the Humane Society, safe and sound. That's why they ask for volunteers. If your agianst organizations that keep animals in cages, does that mean you are agianst the ASPCA and Humane Society trying to help animals getting adopted?

i never said i was against them being in cages! Im just against them being put to sleep! Cages are perfectly fine with me if they dont stay there 24/7, and laying in their own fecies! I am most def. not against the ASPCA, i watch animal planet all the time and i get so excited when the cops bring someone to justice for cruelty! I am not against the Humane Society, i am against the way the treat people who go in there trying to volunteer their time to make the lives on the dogs in cages somewhat better if they can! I never once said i was against cages nor humane society/ASPCA!

Is this a kill shelter ?? at the shelter where I volunteer it USED to be a kill shelter but was so bad it was shut down by a local foster group and the county..now it's a no-kill shelter..the kittens have their own room with cat trees as do the cats in the cat room. the dogs are walked EVERY day..once in the morning and once at night. they get their exercise..we have like 18 dogs now and I am the official dog walker/dog person there. I bathe the dogs, play with them, and brush them, fill up their waters and set up kennels for the new comers..the people who work there feed them. I love cats, too when I get there and give them attention first..then take care of the dogs. I also do misc. stuff like take pictures, help vaccinate the cats, etc. I forgot to say that the dogs get to play off-leash in their "play park" and we have a play park pal list. and we take them out as long as they need.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

okay so i just read everything i wrote in the first message and i understand what your saying, i didnt write what i was thinking, or what exactly was going on, i can get ahead of myself sometimes! What i ment to say was i get mad at people who leave their pets places and end up being stuck in cages because the owners dont want to take care of them, i didnt mean to make it sound as though the humane society was bad for doing it, i ment to say that i was mad at the owners who mistreat their animals and then being stuck in cages at the humane society is what they get left with! Everything the humane society and ASPCA does is wonderful, even tho i dont like putting animals down because no one wants to adopt them, im just mad at the owners who take on such a responsibilty and then assume they can forget about their animal so it can fend for itself! (does that make better sense, sorry i just get ahead of myself)

Is this place the Humane Society or the Animal Shelter? For my county, it's the Animals Shelter and they end up with alot of community service people who are only there to serve their time and they don't give a s*** about the animals and are very rude sometimes. Just try and focus on the animals instead, they appreciate your time and love!

Now ya got it right!! If you want to be angry with someone make it the irresponsible owners (in most cases) that don't understand the responsibilities involved with being a pet owner and don't spay/neuter if responsible breeding isn't in the future.
    My local SPCA is very much supported by the community and is building a new facility with a dog park, agility area, and wonderful facilities for the animals and it is a no kill facility. They work closely with the animal control facility and take in those dogs that are not claimed. Right now, they are at full capacity to the point that supporters are taking home dogs to foster until adoption process can be completed.
    If you would just give your local ASPCA a chance I'm sure they would welcome your volunteerism. They may have had a bad day with an unusual day of drop-offs and were stressed out to the max. Give it a shot and if it doesn't work out then tell them and leave.
    Good luck with the results!
    Labmomma X 2