Thread: Submissive Elimination

Exclamation Submissive Elimination

my puppy is a very good example of "submissive elimination" She doesn't do it for me... but for almost everybody else. So i had a few questions for anyone who ever had a puppy.
    1. Did your dog do it?
    2. What did you do while your puppy was doing it?
    3. What did you do to try to ween the pup from it
    4. Did your puppy outgrow it? if so.. when?

My Bella did that quite a bit as a puppy when we'd go to the vet's or the groomer's. All they would have to do is pet her and speak to her and there she'd go. One of my son's good friends also triggered that response. I thought she had sort of grown out of it, but about six months ago my niece and her hubby came over and when her hubby went to pet her she peed and she was on the sofa at the time!

So there might be a chance she will never grow out of it?

Anyoen else?

Your puppy will likely grow out of it.

Some things you can do to help her:

Have people kneel down and let her go to them.
    Don't allow people to lean over her.
    Ask people to pet her under the chin or on the chest, not on top of the head or body.
    Ask people not to make eye contact with her, and not to speak to her in a high pitched tone.

Ignore the actual urination, any attention you give it whatsoever, will be counterproductive.

May I ask what age and breed your puppy is?

Champion and Obedience titled Rottweilers

ALWAYS owner handled and trained.
    I CARE ABOUT HEALTH SCREENING
    All remarks are my opinion only.

No part of this post may be copied, pasted, or forwarded without my express permission.
    Property of the original poster only.

My English Springer Spaniel does it. She is now 10 months old and doesn't do it as much. When we first got her at 4 1/2 months, she did it with anyone that came to the house and us when we got home. This was not fun, I do daycare in my home so I have several people coming and going throughout the day, they were instructed not to pet or talk to her or she would pee. She can pee, whine and turn in a fast circle very fast so watch your feet! She only does it with a small amount of people now, they greet her outside(Grandparents) When we get home we take her right outside, and we don't talk to her or pet her until she goes pee first. Our vet told us that spaniel are well known for this and she may never out grow it. Good luck and keep working with your pup!

Pepper, our cocker, grew out of it within her second year, but she occasionally slipped up as an adult. Autumn still occasionally pees when her favorite people come over or when we are in strange places. She's 6. We would just tell her to go outside when people come over. We'd answer the door and I'd tell her firmly to go out and potty before she could meet and greet. If it was a stranger at the door she had to stay in the kitchen.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Lizzy is 3 months old and is a spaneil/ shetland sheep dog. I know she isn't a cocker mix but i think she may be springer. (she was a stray so they didn't know for sure)

A bit of submissive urination is very typical of puppies the age of yours when they are greeted, esp. by strangers, or by you if you've been away for a bit.

I bet she grows out of it just fine.

Champion and Obedience titled Rottweilers

ALWAYS owner handled and trained.
    I CARE ABOUT HEALTH SCREENING
    All remarks are my opinion only.

No part of this post may be copied, pasted, or forwarded without my express permission.
    Property of the original poster only.

thats good.

She doesn't pee for around me or my mom.. or really any female.. Just males. She is weird like that. I hope she grows out of it because i'm the only one in the house that has patience and if she doesn't stop eventually my mom wants to take her back.. we got into this huge argument about it and ended in me taking the dog in my lap saying she'd have to take both of us or get some patience. I just hope she stops around my mom... for her sake.

I figured she would grow out of it but i just wanted some extra feedback.

When did your puppies grow out of it / when do you think mine will?

Kimberly,

You might want to look up "submissive urination" on the internet. There are several websites that are helpful. They will tell you the do's and dont's. We are having the same problem with our 3-month old cocker. Although I'm starting to see some improvement. Like you, I hope she out grows this.

Good luck!!!

I have which it is getting a little better. Key word: little. I really don't see her problem with men. she always eliminates with them around.. my dad keeps calling her a lesbian.