Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beagle/ Jack Russle Mix

Beagle/ Jack Russle Mix

I have a 10 week old Beagle/Jack Russle Mix that has been a terror lately. She constantly is biting and chewing up everything. My parents who are at home all day with her are on the verge of getting rid of her and i work so there is not much I can do. Does anyone have any advice on how to calm her down?

It just sounds like she's bored...and a puppy Play, play, play with her, a tired dog is a happy non-destructive dog!!
    Last edited by k9krazee; 08-17-2006 at 10:14 AM. Reason: spelling

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

She is a puppy, and a JRT mix at that. JRTs have extreme energy levels.

Any 10 weeks old puppy left to her own devices is going to run on a rampage.

I would suggest a couple simple searches on:

Crate Training
    House Training
    Bite Inhibition

And they need to get her in puppy class.

It is not difficult to properly raise, redirect, and modify the behavior of puppies, but one must have the tools and the know how to do it.

Champion and Obedience titled Rottweilers

ALWAYS owner handled and trained.
    I CARE ABOUT HEALTH SCREENING
    All remarks are my opinion only.

No part of this post may be copied, pasted, or forwarded without my express permission.
    Property of the original poster only.

Quote Originally Posted by erks82
    I have a 10 week old Beagle/Jack Russle Mix that has been a terror lately. She constantly is biting and chewing up everything. My parents who are at home all day with her are on the verge of getting rid of her and i work so there is not much I can do. Does anyone have any advice on how to calm her down?
    A tired puppy is a good puppy. She is at that age where she will explore the world through her mouth. Make sure she has lots of toys to chew - safe things to chew on. Clear the floor of everything you don't want chewed. And are your parents willing to work with her, walk her, play games with her?

Yes, I agree that my parents need to interact with her more. They seem to be at a boiling point now. Mainly it is because she will bite at your ankles and feet any time you want to walk around. It wouldn't be so bad if her teeth weren't like needles. My parents are both older (mid 60s) so they dont have enough energy to play with her as much as she needs. We live in Texas and we have had about 3 weeks straight of 100+ days so they aren't really up for the walking task either.

You should definitely look into crate training her, as if she were home alone.

i will look into that, thanks.

Yes, I agree that my parents need to interact with her more. They seem to be at a boiling point now. Mainly it is because she will bite at your ankles and feet any time you want to walk around. It wouldn't be so bad if her teeth weren't like needles. My parents are both older (mid 60s) so they dont have enough energy to play with her as much as she needs. We live in Texas and we have had about 3 weeks straight of 100+ days so they aren't really up for the walking task either.
    with all due respect, what on earth are these people doing with a 10 week old puppy then? And a JRT mix at that?

The puppy is just being a puppy.

I will quit here as I'm in a bad mood today.....

Champion and Obedience titled Rottweilers

ALWAYS owner handled and trained.
    I CARE ABOUT HEALTH SCREENING
    All remarks are my opinion only.

No part of this post may be copied, pasted, or forwarded without my express permission.
    Property of the original poster only.

Quote Originally Posted by RedyreRotties
    with all due respect, what on earth are these people doing with a 10 week old puppy then? And a JRT mix at that?

The puppy is just being a puppy.

I will quit here as I'm in a bad mood today.....

I agree As the owner of 3 JRTs, all I can say is if they can't even deal with the energy of a 10 week old PUPPY, what's going to happen when the pup gets older and has even MORE energy?!

good lord i thought this was a friendly place to talk about pet issues........im not looking for smart remarks

good lord i thought this was a friendly place to talk about pet issues........im not looking for smart remarks
    No, no! This IS a very friendly place! I'm just concerned the pup won't have adequate exercise, we only know what you tell us and by the very little information you gave it just seems like a JRT mix probably wasn't the best choice for your family. They NEED an outlet for their energy or they will be destructive, like I said before, I tired dog is a good dog.

I don't think anyone is trying to be a smartie, we are just strong believers in doing your reseach before getting a new dog. A lot of people don't relieze how much work dogs are and way to many people dump dogs when there starts to be a problem. JRT are very high energy and need an active life style to be happy. The puppy needs ALOT of excersice and play. Is the dog yours or your parents? You need lots of chew toys, puppy classes and patience to get through the next 6+ months. Can someone else come walk the puppy while you are at work? Your parents can play fetch with the puppy inside a few times during the day to help. Can you come home at lunch time to take the puppy for a walk? Can the puppy be crated a tleast for some of the time you are at work? Find a local dog trainer for help. Good luck with your puppy!

For the biting you, get bitter apple spray. We have a few cracks in the tiles in the kitchen and my new puppy tried eating it. We spayed it down and she doesn't try anymore. Same goes for our ankles. When she got realllly hyper.. she would constantly bite me.. and i was like the only one. It got me very frustrated so i kept spraying bitter apple spray on me and replacing toys instead of my skin and saying NO.

Also, do your parents/you have a fensed in yard? If you do, you can watch the puppy run around and play by itself outside with a vast amount of space.

My puppy also gets very hyper inside. (she's a spaniel so not as hyper as yours obviously). I've had her a week and we give her toys that take a lot of time. Lke kongs or rawhides. She loves those and they calm her down.

If you have a large down stairs or something, pick up everything and put some rope toys and balls down there. It should be cooler too! Play ball with the puppy and if your puppy is like mine- when she gets started on that rope or ball.. she runs, and runs and i crazy until she is tired. Then let her play with a more peaceful toy again, such as a rawhide.

Tell me how it goes!

I never thought about putting the apple spray on myself! We used it on our coffee table and window sill, and it worked great for LouLou. We only used it for about a week. Keep us posted on your puppy!

just make sure you don't spray it on your puppy! i was trying to my ankle once and i got part of her paw..lets just say she had a nasty shock when she licked her own paw lol.

yeah, as weird as it is.. it actually works mostly. The puppies are bored and just want to bite and stuff.. if they know its not fun/ disgusting.. they won't want to do it.

I will.. she is sleeping right now. She looks so cute.

Can you post a picture of what the pup looks like.. i always love that!