Thread: Good dog with sudden bad behavior?

Good dog with sudden bad behavior?

Ive had my dog for 7 years and until recently, he has never exhibited hardly any bad behavior. Starting about 3 weeks ago my sister's cat has been at my house because it was pregnant, and my sister wasnt home enough to give her proper attention. The cat has been in my younger sisters room for the entire time(except for occasions when the dog is outside), and had the kittens about 2 weeks ago, but in the last two weeks my dog has been dragging himself on the carpet and peeing on the furniture. hes done this about 8-10 times since the kittens were born. He gets outside several times a day and the back yard is open to him the entire day when its warm out, but i dont know what to do to stop this. The dog just peed on the couch about an hour ago but it wasnt intentional, he was just laying there and went. Can anyone help with this?

He should be seen by a veterinarian, he may have a urinary tract infection or some other medical problem. His behavior may be related to the cat/kittens, but since he has been such a well behaved dog before this, it is important to make sure he doesn't have a medical reason for the sudden change in behavior.

Good luck.

jake's mom

Yup - sounds like it might be something medical, a trip to the vet is in order.

I figured that would be the case but hes also been having diahrea and dragging himself on the carpet, what do you think that'd be related to?

Could it be a territory thing with the cat? he does it in the hall in front my my sister's room. the cat is very mean and defensive of her babies when she sees him.

Dragging himself on the carpet could mean he has impacted anal glands - better get him checked before they get infected, which is more painful and worse.

Thanks for the help guys and as long as we are on the topic, my younger sister will be keeping one of the kittens permenantly, while the rest will go to other family/friends at age, but thats going to pose another problem: my dog is acclimated to cats(we have had 3 since we have had him) but the cats will(most likely) be terrified of him and react so. what would be the best way to go about introducing them?

If he is urinating while just sitting there it is 99.99999% chance that it is amedical problem. Could be anything from a urinary tract, kidney or bladder infection or quite possibly a weakend bladder. All of which are easily treated/controled with fairly inexpensive meds. There is a chance it could be a stone or the like, which is a little more involved but still treateable thats for sure.

The diarrhea could be caused from an illness, parasites, allergies, stress, change, etc... the list can go on & on. Has he eaten anything different lately? A change in his food or the like could cause diarrhea as well.

The dragging his bottom on the ground is most likely caused by anal gland problems. Again very easy & inexpensive to get them expressed. Most dogs empty their own anal glands (a little sac on each side of the inside of the anus) when they deficate. But because he's having diarrhea the stool is probably not firm enough to empty them on his own. There is a small chance it could be related to parasites of some sort but again, most of the time when they do this it is caused by their anal glands being full.

The change in behavior is most likely caused by the medical problems he's having but there is a small chance that it could be related to the cats.

I personally reccomend that you make an appointment with your vet. Good luck.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Thats what makes me really think it may not be medical, it started when the kittens were born and between them and the mom theres a lot of care to be given out.. guess Im going to make a vet appt

Get the dog to a vet asap. Until you do that there is nothing that you can do and no advice that will help.