Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Virus Protection Software?

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Norton does provide a removal tool for their software. It does a pretty good job of removing everything. I've had McAfee and Norton and am sticking with Norton Internet Security. It locks my PC down so no baddies get in.

if it's a Trojan, also install, update and run AdAware and/or Spybot Search & Destroy (both free).

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Frog
    Well, heres my 2-cents worth...

Like previously mentioned, any antivirus is only as good as its most recent update, as an antivirus is just that - its to prevent a virus, but not necessairly help to clean it out once an infection has occurred.

Having said that, once a virus is detected in your computer - depending on the virus type (virus, worm, trojan, etc.), theres several ways to tackle the problem. Could you give us a little information>

- What was the full name of the infected file that it found (filename.***)
    - What was the full virus name?
    - What operating system do you have (windows xp home, windows 2000, etc.)?
    - What is the antivirus you currently have on your computer, the software version, and what is the date of the virus definitions (the most recent update?)

This way we could help to point you in the right direction for removal -- and depending on the problem, Symantec (Norton) has a ton of free tools on the website to help remove the problem.

I'd be more than happy to give you a hand to the best of my abilities - i used to work for an antivirus company as tech support for virus removal -- can't guarantee that I can fix it, but i might be able to help

- I dont know the whole file name because I cannot access that file...so here's part of it..
    C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\Application Dat... (i dont know how to get it so i can read the entire file name. I've clicked on it and everything and I still cant see the whole file name)

-Well last night the virus was called bloodhound.Exploit.56
    Right next to the file name it says 'Trojan horse Downloader.Generic2.KMB'

- We have Windows HP vs15x (hopefully i am answering these questions right...I'm clueless when it comes to computers )

- Right now we currently have AVG free Edition...the most recent update was on 8/14/06 at 2:34. We do still have norton but like I said before...its disabled.

Thanks everyone for trying to help me out...

My dad is going to have his friend come by to see if he can help us.

I just dont understand all these viruses...how exactly do you get a virus? I thought you only got them if you downloaded something.

I'm tempted to just have everything from this computer removed and just start over...Eeeee this is just so stressful...

One other thing, I have the option to move this virus and the infected objects into a 'vault'. Should i just do this? What exactly do trojans do to computers? lol sorry for all the questions..i'm just...lost and tired lol.

Edit~ I just looked up some info about McAfee and viruses and I'm pretty sure this is the trojan I have...
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/Content/v_137760.htm
    Last edited by Aquamarine; 08-14-2006 at 06:37 PM.

You don't have to KNOWINGLY download a file to get a virus, which is why the "scan on download" option needs to be found and activated.

Again, download Spybot S+D, and the Lavasoft Ad-aware SE Personal. These in combination will eliminate the spyware that probably downloaded the virus.

If Norton is disabled, it should be removed. Multiple a/v programs sometimes cause conflicts with each other, even if not used.

DELETE the infected object. Putting them in a vault merely locks them away, you need to remove them from the H/D. (The vault option is normally used by sys admin types to track down and find the source of the virus)

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamarine
    - I don't know the whole file name because I cannot access that file...so here's part of it..
    C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\Application Dat... (i don't know how to get it so i can read the entire file name. I've clicked on it and everything and I still cant see the whole file name)
    If you're looking at the file location through Windows Explorer (you'll be looking at a regular file tree-type window). the file name is in a column. If you look up at the top of the column you can resize it by dragging the little divider line to the right to reveal the whole file path OR you can just right-click on the file name and look at the Properties. I don't recommend just deleting this one file - it's probably has tentacles buried deep in the Windows registry. Use a virus program or spyware program which will remove all traces of the offending file.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Redd, I think what the OP was referring to was the options in AVG. It gives you the option to quarantine (vault) or delete the file, not just throwing the infected file in the trash (doesn't normally work with a virus anyway).

Well, one good thing is that the file (it was only the one right?) was listed as a trojan-horse downloader, so it will not be a necessary system file -- i'd do what Lady's Human said and delete the infected file.

Was your dad's friend able to get rid of the file for you, or were you able to delete it last nite?

A couple of other things you could do ...

(I'm not sure if this is your computer, or a shared family computer, but i'd check with someone like your Dad before doing the following)

1. Run the windows updates. Sometimes, if your system is not up to date (Windows, internet explorer, etc.), then you can get files dropped onto your system just by visiting a website as the web site author exploits holes in your system to do file drops. I've attached a PDF file i made up this morning outlining how to manually run the windows update, and how to set up automatic updating in Windows. (file is Running Windows Updates.pdf

2. Download both Lavasoft Adaware (http://www.majorgeeks.com/Ad-Aware_...sonal_d506.html) and Spybot Search and Destroy (http://www.majorgeeks.com/SpyBot-Se...troy_d2471.html). These are Spyware Removal tools, and can both be installed without a problem on your computer. They will find many things that Antivirus programs will not.

3. Uninstall one of the antivirus programs on your computer -- if you have been happy with AVG, then uninstall the Norton (Symantec) application. You should be able to do this through the Windows Control panel (click Start - Settings Control Panel, and select the 'Add/Remove Programs' option. Norton should be listed in there, and you can select it and uninstall).

4. Set up your AVG antivirus to a higher scanning level. You should be able to find a document on their website (under the Technical Docs section) at http://www.grisoft.com/doc/8/lng/us/tpl/tpl01 .This information may also be listed in the Manual that came with the software application (maybe when you got the computer?). If not, i think you can download a copy of the AVG manual on their site at http://www.grisoft.com/doc/74/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

If you'd like a quick description of What is a Virus, Worm and Trojan, you can read the information here: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...99041209131106

I wanna thank everyone for the wonderful advice! Thankyou!

Well, we decided to take our computer to a computer repair shop( If i tried to remove the trojan myself I probably would've made it worse lol) Now for the good news.... The virus is finally gone! I'm so happy! Woo hoo! We decided to try McAfee. It works really well. We also got Spy Sweeper and Zone Alarm . Can you believe they found 97 traces of spyware???!?! Amazing! lol
    Again, thanks so much for the advice. I really appreciated it.