Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our Leo

Our Leo

Hello all -

I know I haven't been on here in a while. We've had quite the busy summer. We went to Jamaica for a week in June to celebrate our 5-year-anniversary a little early (we were there during my b'day and it was great), and we have had a couple of weekends out of town for weddings, in addition to lots of good times at home with our 4 beautiful kitties.

Well, the past few days have been some of the hardest my husband and I have had to deal with in our lives. We love our kitties sooooo much, and thought that since they were all pretty young (Bailey, Leila & Leo were all turning 4 this year, Claudia turned 3), we'd have them around for a long time. They were indoor cats, also, so that kept them from most environmental hazards that they'd encounter on their own.

Evidently, Leo had an even more difficult time before we adopted him than we previously thought - as some of you know, he was rescued by the group we adopted him from with a bad respiratory infection and the horrible case of earmites that gave him his uniquely shaped ears. At the time we adopted him, he was pretty much cured of all of that - he was supposedly between 1 and 2 years old, but it's hard to know for sure whether he wasn't older than that. All we can figure from the past couple of days is that he got into something when he was out in the wilds on his own that irreparably damaged his kidneys.

Leo came to live with us on April 8, 2004. Last night, after a couple days' spent in the emergency room, we made the heart-breaking decision to put Leo to sleep to end his misery. He was in the advanced stages of kidney failure. From what the vets told us, they figured that Leo's kidneys had been compromised from way back before we adopted him and he just coped with having only partial kidney function for the last couple of years and finally there wasn't enough function left for him to cope anymore. He has struggled with constipation occasionally through the last couple of years - we had to take him to the emergency room in November of 2004, but after a couple of enemas, he was as good as new, and whenever he had constipation after that, it was to a lesser degree and he was ok once we gave him some Lactulose and a little extra TLC. All of it really makes sense now - he was never as active as our other cats, and drank a lot more water than they did - all are signs that he wasn't as healthy as he wanted us to believe. He was the sweetest, most cuddly cat we've ever met, and he shared our bed with us almost every night. He wanted nothing more than our love and affection, which we willingly gave him every chance we got - he loved belly rubs, he was the first to greet everyone at the door, he stayed out and let anyone who came into our house pet him, and he adored his siblings - he loved to clean Claudia and chase she and Bailey, and he even got along with Leila as well as any of the others do.

We know that there was nothing more that could be done for him - he was just getting worse, and he looked like he was in so much pain - he never deserved any of that pain. So, we made the only choice we could make last night, and after, we brought him home, wrapped him in a towel and buried him under a very nice crabapple/hybrid tree off of our back patio. We placed a rose from each of us in with him (we just happened to have some roses from our anniversary last weekend - Brent picked out a lovely dozen yellow roses with orange around the edges - beautiful - they matched his coloring too!), and said our goodbyes. He was such a saint and is in a better place now, but it's been very difficult to accept - I never knew that we had so many tears to cry - just when we think we're done, one of us starts crying again. Leo was very special to us and will always be in our hearts and in soooo many pictures. I just wanted to share a couple of pictures of him and his story. We love him so much, and the other kitties seem to know he's gone too - all are reacting in their own ways.

Thanks to krazyaboutkatz for the cute avatar and wolf_Q for the cute siggy!

Rest in Peace, sweet Leo. You are sorely missed!
    Since I last posted, we have another new addition - Tabitha, as of fall 2008.

"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life -- music and cats."
    -- Albert Schweitzer --
    (Never has there been a more accurate statement!)

I am very sorry about your loss. Sounds like he's been through a lot in his early years, and it has finally taken its toll... I'm glad that he found a loving home, and that he's been well cared-off and experienced your friendship.

It must have been heartbreaking to make that decision, and you wouldn't have done it if you wouldn't know he's now in better place where he's painfree and healthy again.

R.I.P. sweet Leo,

Kirsten

I so very sorry about Leo. We all know what a struggle it is to make the right decision for our babies when it comes time to let them go. I wish you the strength to make it through each day as you remember what a wonderful companion Leo was. He will be watching over you and taking care of your other furbabies.
    Naranj's and P.K.'s Momma

OH God, I am so sorry to hear about losing Leo so young. It makes it twice as difficult as death after a FULL life. But a life with TOTAL love for the past couple years is better than an animal who lives 15 years in misery. Leo packed a lifetime of love within those days with you. And his precious memories will bring your through the pain of grief.

Leo, yet another beloved orangie, you will be welcomed at the RB by many a missed PT pet. Wait together with them until you can be reunited with your family.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Leo is having his Dinner with the Pet Angel, and has recieved his wings.
    He wants to thank you for making him a part of your home, and loving him the way you did.
    Hes happy as an Angel, but will only truly be happy when he meets you again.
    One Fine Day.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I am so sorry to hear about Leo.

What a beautiful, beautiful boy he is in those pictures!

Thanks to you and the rescue group, he had a far better and longer life than he ever would have otherwise. I believe that the love you gave him kept him going wonderfully for as long as he did.

Bless you for loving Leo - and prayers for your pain and loss.

(((hugs)))
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Jayna, I'm so sorry to hear about Leo's passing. It's always difficult to lose an animal but more so when they're so young. At least he had a wonderful loving home and he knows that you love him very much. Now he's pain free and playing up at Rainbow Bridge with all of the kitties including my Pepper. RIP sweet Leo.

Jayna, I'm so very sorry about Leo. It is especially hard when they are so young and we are not really sure what has happened to them. You made the best decision for him.

RIP Sweet Leo

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

Happy days lived, laying in the sun's warmth. Better than a long life, without love.

Godspeed to the Bridge, Leo

Oh Jayna I'm so very sorry. What sad news.

Rest in Peace sweet Leo. You will be missed.

From Decker with Love

Thanks to everybody so far!

Thank you all for your kind, sweet words regarding the loss of our beloved Leo. We really appreciate reading your thoughts at such a horrible time. It's not getting any easier, but what you've been saying has helped a lot!

Thanks to krazyaboutkatz for the cute avatar and wolf_Q for the cute siggy!

Rest in Peace, sweet Leo. You are sorely missed!
    Since I last posted, we have another new addition - Tabitha, as of fall 2008.

"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life -- music and cats."
    -- Albert Schweitzer --
    (Never has there been a more accurate statement!)

Jayna,

I'm so sorry to hear about Leo. He was abeautiful boy!!!

RIP sweet Leo. Play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I'm so sorry to hear about Leo. He sounds like he was a wonderful kitty--like he was all one could hope for in a cat.

RIP Leo. Wait for mommy at the bridge.
    Spoiled child, bad
    Spoiled cat, good

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    I'm so sorry to hear about Leo's passing. In reading his story, I see lots of similarities with Mishi's kidney disease. We also don't know Mishi's past history and his kidneys are not functioning normally. Leo, play hard at the Rainbow Bridge and if you see a pretty little orangie gal, it's probably my Goldie. RIP Leo.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Unhappy

Leo was so lucky to you and your husband to love and care for him. Even though your time together was short, it was a time of great love. Sleep softly dear Leo...
    Nine is Fine!!