Thread: Litter boxes

Litter boxes

Do you all ever throw the old ones away and buy new ones? If so, When?

Thanks for all info
    Michelle

I have thrown away some older ones and bought wide flat Rubbermaid storage containers at a yard sale.
    About 2 x 4 feet, and 8 inches high.
    I got 4 for ten dollars, and the Big Cats have all the room they need.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I do not do it nearly often enough. So I'd say go with your instincts. If you feel it does not come clean any longer, get a new one.

I've thrown my old litterboxes away when they broke. I use the covered kind and the latches would break over time. Now I've found a better type of litterbox from Petmate that doesn't have latches and they're very sturdy. I hope to have these around for a long time. I'm currently using only 4 boxes and 2 are covered and 2 aren't so the cats will be able to choose which kind they'd like to use.

I toss the old ones when they look scratched up and don't seem to clean well.

From Decker with Love

I replace mine every couple of years. I usually wash them out real good and then donate them to the shelters.

Gary,

That's a great idea, using the wide flat Rubbermade bins. Unfortunately, my cat Mollie Rose digs to china so I need ones with covers.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

If it's a litter box or a computer it doesn't get thrown out here until it has a death certificate!

When the litterbox is too dirty for the cat I put a few holes in it (the box, not the cat), fill it with potting mix and plant some seeds in it.

I buy new ones every 6 months or so. One of my cats, Emma Belle, is very picky, so I like to make sure that it's up to her high standards. Sounds like I don't need to buy new ones so often.

I only have 1 cat and I put a plastic liner on it so it's easy to clean and it lasts a long time.
    Cathy loves Cocoa Kitty.
    http://cocoakitty.net

This is an interesting thread. As I changed litter this weekend, I was wondering if one of the girls boxes needs to be thrown out! I wipe each box (two girls, two boxes, but they share!) with a clorox wipe when I change the litter each week, and this particular one still seems to smell a little. I have had it for about 5 years, I think! So maybe it is time!

That's a great idea, using the wide flat Rubbermade bins. Unfortunately, my cat Mollie Rose digs to china so I need ones with covers.

hahahahahaha! Chuck too. We always laugh and say it sounds like he is breakdancing in there. Without a cover, he gets litter EVERYWHERE!
    "The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched - they must be felt with the heart." ~~ Helen Keller
    ------------------------------------------------
    Chuck (rb) meowmie misses you!

------------------------------------------------

thanks kittycats_delights for the sig!