Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To buy crate, or not to buy crate? PICS are up !

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.

To buy crate, or not to buy crate? PICS are up !

Her crate now:

New crate I was thinking of purchasing ONLY FOR TRAVEL:

I was thinking of buying one of these for when I go to agility trials with Jenny. I have seen a lot of other competitors use them. I think a portable, light crate would be very nice. Her one now is metal, strong, but heavy and bulky. ( and I scratched my moms car by dropping it one time. It's really... Annoying. ) Does anyone else have one?

My only concern is that Jen might deside to attack another dog while she's in her crate,and knock it ( her crate ) over. I heard about pegging it down. Than I got concerned that it might rip if she starts freaking out while in it. ( If it's pegged down, and she starts pushing it, it might rip..... Not Good ! ) Has anyone else had experience with these?

This wouldn't be a replacement crate for her one in the house. It would be used outside, but it would only be used on agility trails. So about once a week. It would have to be out in almost any weather. It would be used ONLY FOR TRAVEL, not on a regular basis.

We would probably bring it in our motor-home, too. Just because it's more portable than the one she has now.

What do you guys think of these crates? I appreciate your opinions.

P.S. The new one looks a lot comfier. ( sp? )
    Last edited by GreyhoundGirl; 10-27-2006 at 11:24 AM.
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

I like it. Its hard to purchase something though without getting to touch it if you are going to order it. Its hard to say how heavy duty it is. If I order something from online or magazine for my dogs I usually trust PetEdge.com. If you like it I say go for it.
    Tim ~ Majestic Collies

"Just when you think there are no Angels, a Collie comes into your life"
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take
    but by the moments that take our breath away"

GIVE ME THE HELPLESS, THE LOST, THE HOMELESS LITTLE ONES STRUGGLING TO LIVE; SEND THESE WEAK,
    ABANDONED LIVES TO ME, I OFFER HOPE, CARE, WARMTH AND MOST OF ALL LOVE,

Pledge of a Rescue Worker

Mine is a little different, but I LOVE my soft crate.

They are excellent for dogs who are crate trained, but they do need to be used under supervision.

I once saw a dog merrily rolling one along like a log roller.

I like that model you posted as well.

Champion and Obedience titled Rottweilers

ALWAYS owner handled and trained.
    I CARE ABOUT HEALTH SCREENING
    All remarks are my opinion only.

No part of this post may be copied, pasted, or forwarded without my express permission.
    Property of the original poster only.

LOL Nice mental imagery on that one.

The soft crates are wonderful for dog events such as agility. I've seen many people use them . Once Tango and I are finally able compete in agility, I'll probably buy her a soft one aswell.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

ive never had one, but they look great, i'll definatly buy somthing similar once i start showing..i agree, if you like, it go for it

Quote Originally Posted by RedyreRotties

Yes, that's what I'm worried about, but I think if I peg it down ( it comes with tent pegs and has holes on the bottom ) she won't be able to get it out of the ground. As long as she doesn't rip it.

Soft-crates are only good for dogs who are *really* crate-trained.

As in, I had the same fears and apprehensions before putting Rien in a soft crate when we went to our first trial. However, he did wonderful in it because he recognized it as a crate. He barked (wuffed, more like) ONCE and I told him schh and that was it.

He was crate-trained at 8 weeks old when I got him. Never again will I get a dog that I have to crate train... it's just too much of a pain and if they're trained from babies, it's so easy.

So, if you're confident in how she sees the crate, then it should be fine. Otherwise, dogs can do a LOT of damage to those things.

I have one and I love it. It's easy to bring places. Some dogs chew through them, but I've never had a problem. Mine can't be knocked over either.
    I've been BOO'd!

I have one and I love it! Zoey comes to work with me and it takes hardly any room up and is so easy to haul around. Having it at our agility trials are nice to. The only problem is I can't have a crate fan on it, so I put the crate fan on top of the soft crate.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Thanks, My mom and I are going all the way to..... Ottawa tommaro! We're going to go to Petsmart and get one. ( They are on SALE !!!! )

Yes, Jen is VERY well crate trained.

Thanks for the advice !

P.S. I'll post pics of her in it in a couple of days.

They didn't have them. False advertising on their website.

SO..... Tommaro we have to go ALL THE WAY BACK TO OTTAWA to go to a Petcetera to get one. I can't wait ! This time I called ahead to make sure they had them.

P.S. Thought I'd update you guys, in case you haven't heard, we got the crate, Soon after the last post. Now, the pics are updated and ready to be posted.

SO cute....

Sorry if any are too big.

well.. with mine its hard to buy a crate because of their height at the head. I have to buy 52 inches tall. Needless to say by 8 months we are out of crates.. Too bad you dont live near me, because I have several in the 34 range that I dont use..
    They will chew fabric- I would recommend wire. I even had a doberman chew out of a airline crate and got her fool head stuck... .. I like this type of crate.. http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...N=2035804&Ne=2 Grayhounds dont turn around well with a side loader, and a end loader works better..

Sorry, I've already got the crate, Jen has lived in her crate her whole life. She hasn't chewed anything ever. She hasn't chewed her crate, either.

If we were closer, I would certainly take you up on the 34"crates. We find Jen is such a hard size to buy crates for. She is so tall, yet so small. Typical Grey. If you get a crate the right height for her, when she curls up in it, she takes up about 1/4 of the crate.

Hey, I don't think I ever told you PTers that on her first vet visit the vet said she had a sore back from being in a crate that was too small. But she LOVES her crate. I can't belive her previous owners would abuse her in such a mean way.

P.S. Might want to check the dates on the posts Jenny has had that wire crate since the day I got her, and we got the blue crate in... June/July I think...