Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have 5 hammies!

I have 5 hammies!

I thought I was going to get two hamsters yesterday! But guess what? We got five! Oh, don’t worry; they are not all in the same cage. Chewy & Cookie are in my sister’s room. Chewy was named Chewy because he chewed out of his transfer box! Cookie is named Cookie because she loves cookies. Well… her kind of cookies! They are both short-haired Teddy Bear hamsters. Jake is in my brother’s room. He’s named Jake because his colors just say “Jake” on them, LOL. He’s a medium-haired Teddy Bear hamster. Marcy & Nutmeg are both Dwarf hamsters. They’re in my room and they are actually my hamsters. Marcy’s named Marcy because in another language, Russian I think, it means “black one”, and she’s black and white. Nutmeg, Maggie for short, fits her because of her colors. I haven’t got any pictures right now, but will have some up soon! So check back soon.

Are the two Syrians housed together?
    They sound adorable. Sounds like in your house, everytime you turn around you must see a hamster.

They sound cute....The teddy bear hamsters actually aren't a breed....They are called Syrians. The long hairs are long-haired syrians.

The syrians should not be housed together (If they are in the same cage) They will kill each other (I'm certain about that. One morning a bloody mess and one or more dead hamsters will be woken up to.)

If they are in different cages, than don't mind what I just said,

Congrats!!! Thats alot of hamster to take on at once. I hope the syrians aren't together the will fight til death.

www.hamsterhideout.com Try the webiste you can learn lots of hamster info, have fun make friends and hangout with hamster lovers. I highly suggest that website.

Pics are in order!

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters
    Midnight, Ginny, Kiona, & Eevie-Cats

5?!

How'd you end up with 5?
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Khay
    They sound cute....The teddy bear hamsters actually aren't a breed....They are called Syrians. The long hairs are long-haired syrians.

The syrians should not be housed together (If they are in the same cage) They will kill each other (I'm certain about that. One morning a bloody mess and one or more dead hamsters will be woken up to.)

If they are in different cages, than don't mind what I just said,
    Eek. They seemed to get along when I was over there...

Quote Originally Posted by zoomer
    Eek. They seemed to get along when I was over there...
    Syrians can NOT be housed together. They can seem to get along until like I said, one morning you wake up to a bloody mess and dead hamsters. Syrians in the wild, CHOOSE to live alone, it is unfair to force them to live together in captivity, and extremely dangerous.

They only get along now because they are young but soon the will start to fight and if you don't have dead hamsters you have expensive vet bills.

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters
    Midnight, Ginny, Kiona, & Eevie-Cats

She was talking to me about hamster dividers. I have never seen them And never heard of them. I doubt you're going to find one Sarah, unless you search around ALOT and pay some money... I think it's best you just get another cage and another wheel. I have an extra bowl I could probably find and give to you. All you really need to but is the cage, wheel, and water bowl. And that'll probably be a grand total of $25-$30. Good luck!

You can make bin cages which give ALOT of room for the syrians, (Syrian hamsters *need* a good amount of floor space to move about, *and* a wheel, without them getting these things they are at risk of cage paralysis) and they are very cheap. Here is info on building a bin cage:

http://www.hamster-heaven.com/cgi-bi...num=1109532059

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyluvsme13
    I've succesfully housed 2 syrians together, but as said it's not recommended. We ended up separating them after about 2 days, because they were starting to show some agression. Thanks to that stupid hamster, he got my other hamster sick.
    More like thanks to the person who decided to house two solitary animals together, and it got your hamster sick makes me think *without* even a quarantine. It's not the poor hamster's fault, it's yours and anyone else who decided to house them together. he's an innocent life, unlike human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyluvsme13
    Noo, it's basically not my fault since I was 10, and had not much proper info on animal care. It's not my full responsibility to research and know about them at that age..and I'm not blaming it on the hamster, (although didn't like him much anyways since he bit me), I'm blaming the stupid petstore that lets their hamsters breed rapidly and over and over and over. They also said that we could house them together fine, so don't blame me.
    He bit you because a) your hands smelled like food or b) You scared him. Again, not his fault.

Perhaps it wasn't your fault since you were so young, but please don't say hey were successfully housed together since they weren't (As you already stated they were seperated within 2 days)

It's not simply not recommended to house syrians together, it is HIGHLY frowned upon by anyone who's done a hint of research on them, and extremely dangerous to the hamster's lives. It is a very important point, *extremely* important point which is why I am stressing it so much.

Come on guys, you two don't need to argue over something that is in the past. You live and learn. Bri has learned from her mistakes, so why bash her for it now? You're not going to change the past.

I'm not arguing and I'm not bashing. I was simply stressing the point that 1) They were not successfully housed together and 2) It's far worse than simply not reccomended to house them together.

If you want me to argue though, I'll be happy to

Sounded more like arguing to me. but whatever, we've lost the point of this thread, and although I don't think it's that great that sarah ended up with 5 hamsters, I'm keeping my thoughts to myself.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography