Thread: Mack is showing signs of aggression....

Mack is showing signs of aggression....

What do I do ?

I've noticed over the last couple days that he is getting more and more aggressive. He has bitten me twice. Not nipping , biting!
    Last night for instance, he was begging for ice cream from my BF and when I old him to get off the bed, he bit at my leg, the only thing between his teethh and my leg was the blanket. Then this morning when I took him out for his run, he ran at me twice, which isnt out of the ordinary, usually he just runs by me, this time he ran and jump on me then he ran and jumped on me again and this time growled and bite my arm, luckily I was protected by my sweatshirt. he didnt break the skin, but I will have a bruise. He is approximately 1 year and 8 months old. Very active, and we let him run all the time, we have a big yard, both front and back.
    I have instructed the little ones to not get into his face or play with him right now, because he must be going through something. Is this behavior normal for this type of dog ( Boxer/mastiff) and for his age, what types of things can I do to help him through this with out becoming totally aggressive???

PLEASE HELP !
    Thank You
    Amy-Elizabeth

This site has some very useful information. If you take action now, you could nip this yourself before someone gets seriously hurt.

http://www.mysmartpuppy.com/ask-us/articles.html

There are several articles on this page. Read these under Problems and Solutions.

Agression Basics
    Nose Nudging
    Question Dog Slams Into Me
    Signs Trouble is Brewing
    You're Grounded!

If you haven't done an actual obedience class, you should get signed up for one. Also, how much exercise does he get? How much mental stimulation does he get? Most dogs need a job or they create one for themselves. He sounds like he needs exercise and lots of it. A job can be anything it doesn't have to be agility, herding, guardwork. It can be, several sits while you are cleaning your home/room. It could be obedience games while fixing super. It can be playing fetch in the back yard. It can be hiding treats in the living room. As long as it is something that stimulates the mind. Just as people need to work everyday, so do most dogs. EVERYDAY.

As one of the trainers on the above forum always says (Sarah Wilson), "Dogs can change, but we have to change first." Her and Brian's books on training, are fantastic as well.

You need training class.

Immediately. If this dog is not neutered, he would be going in for that the first available appointment, and I'm talking next week.

Being on the bed, nope nope nope nope. Allowing your dog up on the bed with you puts him on an equal status with you. He is already treating you as a subordinant.

This article has very good hands on easy to implement instructions on how to assume the leadership role, and how to present a leadership figure to your dog.

It will involve changing a lot of things in this dogs life, and also yours. These dogs can be turned around, but it takes dedication and resolve on the part of the owners.

http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library/alpha.htm

Can you tell me how old this dog is, if he is indeed neutered, where he sleeps, if you feed him on a schedule or not, and if he guards things from you such as toys or food?

What training has he had?

What breed is he? Looked to be a boxer, but I could not really tell?

HOw old was this dog when you got him, or when was he removed from his litter, if you know?

Champion and Obedience titled Rottweilers

ALWAYS owner handled and trained.
    I CARE ABOUT HEALTH SCREENING
    All remarks are my opinion only.

No part of this post may be copied, pasted, or forwarded without my express permission.
    Property of the original poster only.

This isn't a sign of an aggressive dog, its the dog clearly taking dominance over you. You should start NILIF training and make sure you assert your dominance over him at all times. You should be the one to feed him and do all the dog chores. If he is on the bed it should be by your invite only, and you should periodically tell him to get off just to show you are in control. Same as in furniture, tell him in no uncertain terms when you want him to get off, and sometimes just as a reminder even if you aren't planning to sit there. If he is in your way in the house you should also be able to just nudge him out of your way without fear of his biting, you should never go around him or accomodate him in the way. This all may sound like bullying, but really its just you taking an active role in being dominant.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452
    This all may sound like bullying, but really its just you taking an active role in being dominant.
    Yes, that's exactly what it is, LOL. That's what dogs understand. The leader of the pack will 'bully' the other dogs into acceptable behavior. We sugarcoat it with other language, but especially for a dog that seems to have a very 'alpha' personality, like this one, it's going to take some firm, maybe aggressive corrections (not abusive!) to get his attention and show him who's boss.

Whenever you start with obedience, NILIF, etc. just remember that you're the boss, and don't let him bully you into being a softy (or make you feel guilty for making him do something - he knows how to use the big puppy eyes only too well); it'll be better for you in the long run and give you a long, happy life with that beautiful dog.

Thank you so much for all your advice, it all makes sense.
    I have tryed some of this already, but I can see where he is trying to be the alpha of our pack. We will all work hard to help him understand where his place is in this pack.

Thanks again !

Yup - he's now in his "terrible teens," and now is the time to reinforce every bit of training, every day, and reestablish that you - not he - is leader of the pack. It's completely normal, but serious in a big dog, so be diligent!

Quote Originally Posted by RedyreRotties
    You need training class.

Immediately. If this dog is not neutered, he would be going in for that the first available appointment, and I'm talking next week.

Being on the bed, nope nope nope nope. Allowing your dog up on the bed with you puts him on an equal status with you. He is already treating you as a subordinant.

This article has very good hands on easy to implement instructions on how to assume the leadership role, and how to present a leadership figure to your dog.

It will involve changing a lot of things in this dogs life, and also yours. These dogs can be turned around, but it takes dedication and resolve on the part of the owners.

http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library/alpha.htm

Can you tell me how old this dog is, if he is indeed neutered, where he sleeps, if you feed him on a schedule or not, and if he guards things from you such as toys or food?

What training has he had?

What breed is he? Looked to be a boxer, but I could not really tell?

HOw old was this dog when you got him, or when was he removed from his litter, if you know?
    He is a Boxer /Mastiff and he was 1 1/2 when we got him .

He is responding positively to his new training!

We are taking him out for a run three times a day instead of just two, also we are making him do things more often, like sit and lay, when I walk him on his leash if he pulls me I make him sit down, wait a few mins and they tell him ok.

He is such a smart dog, very quick to learn.
    We recently learned that he knows a game with his treats, we rub a treat on both hands then put the treat in one hand behind our back, then we put our hands out closed fist around the treat and make him pick which one it is in, he puts his paw on the hand it is in ans we give it to him, he is very gentle about it as well. Very smart dog, we are all very glad to have him in our family !

Just a couple more pieces of advice...on your walks/runs, make sure that you (and your BF) exit the door first and even ask him to sit and stay just inside the door until you give him permission to come out. Then, make him sit and wait while you close the door and keep him in a heel the entire time (can be easily learned in Obedience class along with proper leash corrections to keep him on task). Never allow him to move out ahead of you as that puts him in the leadership role.

My husband and I also do not allow our dogs to be within several feet of us while we're eating and they must go and lay down quietly while we eat. We eat first, then we feed them. Again, just reinforces the pack hierarchy and give the dogs a clear structure for who's in control.

By the way, dogs WANT to be led by you. In nature, if dogs don't percieve a strong dominant alpha in their pack, they will step up to be that leader because their instinct tells them the pack needs someone to lead. And it's much better for the human (who has the power of reason to make good decisions) to make all the decisions for the dog on what is proper behavior.

Good luck!