Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! I've tried everything to make my cat stop biting me!

Help! I've tried everything to make my cat stop biting me!

I have a 2-yr old gray striped short-haired cat, beautiful color and unusual markings, he has black spots on his belly that normally (I've been told ) would be on his fur, rather than on his skin. He's been neutered since he was six months old because he's very aggressive. I took him at 5 weeks because he was the only kitten that survived in his litter, as the rest were killed by dogs. My kitten was picked up by a little dog who, while trying to protect him was almost killed as well. At any rate, I have been very gentle and would not ever hit him for biting me but as he has gotten much bigger now, I have bites all over my arms, legs, neck, shoulders and so on. He bites when I talk on the phone, when I don't give him a treat when he wants it, when I vacuum, etc.

My physician (I have diabetes and congestive heart failure) reported it to the animal shelter and if I don't figure something out pretty soon they're going to put him to sleep. I love him and I know there has to be a way to teach him not to do this. Please help...
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=6][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]

OK, there is this natural herbal scent stuff - can't remember the name right now - that is a natural relaxer. I'll ask my herbalist friend tomorrow. It's supposed to have some sort of pheremone (sp?) scent that eases their aggresiveness quite well. DANG, can't remember but it's been written about here. I'll get back to you. Watch those cat bite/scratches... they can get infected easily. Poor babies (you and the babe cat).

Feliway? There are some other relaxers out there, too.

Spunky is a biter, too, but only when he plays. I just say 'no' and push him away from me, when I've had too much. Your cat (and mine) needs parenting, too, and didn't get that form his mom.

Spunky also doesn't bite me as much since he got a playmate. It's always a risk, but I got lucky.

Hope you can find a solution.

anne

FELIWAY! Yes, it is the pheromone spray.

It can be expensive - but one bottle lasts a LOOOONG time!

Ask your vet if he has a trial sample you can use. You do 2 - 3 sprays a day, or whatever the vet says (on kitty's favourite spots).

My Oscar is on it for life - even though he was wild, and has been a total suck for two years without biting or anything, he gets just stressed enough that he will get UTI's and other things. Your cat's early trauma has no doubt affected him.

Please try the Feliway!

AND - there have been great reports here on an animal psychic - I think Moosmom has the contact.

HUGS!

Catty1
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

FELIWAY!! That's the name, thanks fellow PT'ers - I knew you would know it. By the way Scantwell ~ welcome to PetTalk

See if the Bach Flower Rescue Remedy might work. It is sold in health food stores.
    Nine is Fine!!

Training him not to bite is important too. Pay attention to his ears and his expression. Are his ears going down when he's going to bite? Try to say NO before he actually bites, or even if he snaps at you. Pick him up and put him in another spot. You break his habit of biting and he realizes it's not worth his while to bite.
    NEVER give him a treat unless he's well mannered. Otherwise you are reinforcing his bad behavior. Reward him when he's being gentle and he will try to earn treats.

You need to let the cat know certain behaviors are unexceptable. This really works. It results in a gentle well behaved cat.
    Cathy loves Cocoa Kitty.
    http://cocoakitty.net

I have a 15 year old cat who was my mom's and she never taught him not to bite. I watch his ears in particular, and stop petting him if he looks like he's going to bite. Most cats can be taught not to bite, I think. But you have to make sure you don't push his "buttons".
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Temporarily caring for adult cat that bites

My daughter is relocating and I have agreed to keep her 10 year old, spayed, front declawed, long hair domestic cat untl she gets settled which will probably be 3 months. I have had the cat for 3 days and it has bitten me twice. The first time I was trying to make friends and was lightly brushing her - she was not confined and could have moved away, but she turned suddenly and bite me on the arm. I did seek medical care immediately so that isn't the problem. I thought perhaps it was too early so I have been ignoring the cat; she hides under a bed and has come out to eat, drink and use litter. Today, she was meowing, rubbing up against my leg, I was - or thought I was - talking soothingly to her, I understand she is stressed beign in a new environment and not knowing me; however, this time, without warning, she turned an bit me on the leg she had been rubbing against. My daughter has allowed this behavior and I knew the cat bites when threatened or overstimulated. Perhaps the first time, she was overstimulated but the second, I did nothing. I don't want a cat in my home that may bite me at any time; I plan to call a vet on Monday for advise; however, asking this forum for advice. Help!

Adult cat that bites

Adding to my previous post - I have Feliway plug in -

did you try biting him back???

see how he likes it LOL!

How about having its teeth removed

Just kidding.

I would ask the vet for some drug to calm this kitty down a bit. Amitripline.....would do the trick.

Cat Scratch Fever is more than just an old song. It can be very serious and so can this situation become if not helped.

Quote Originally Posted by scantwell
    I have a 2-yr old gray striped short-haired cat, beautiful color and unusual markings, he has black spots on his belly that normally (I've been told ) would be on his fur, rather than on his skin. He's been neutered since he was six months old because he's very aggressive. I took him at 5 weeks because he was the only kitten that survived in his litter, as the rest were killed by dogs. My kitten was picked up by a little dog who, while trying to protect him was almost killed as well. At any rate, I have been very gentle and would not ever hit him for biting me but as he has gotten much bigger now, I have bites all over my arms, legs, neck, shoulders and so on. He bites when I talk on the phone, when I don't give him a treat when he wants it, when I vacuum, etc.

My physician (I have diabetes and congestive heart failure) reported it to the animal shelter and if I don't figure something out pretty soon they're going to put him to sleep. I love him and I know there has to be a way to teach him not to do this. Please help...

I don't know about in your particular situation, however at our hospital seems about once a month we get similar complaints (usually from elderly people with circulation problems or diabetes). Upon questioning most of them it comes out that someone in the house has been 'wrestling' with the cat on a regular basis using their hands. This only teaches the cat that biting/scratching a human hand is ok and is fun.

In your case I don't know exactly what might be causing it (a check up with the vet to rule out medical problems should be in first order).

However assuming it's behavioral there are a few things you can try.

1) If ANYONE in the house is 'wrestling' with the cat (whether it's with a bare hand, foot or a gloved hand) put a stop to it NOW.

2) Keep a small squirt bottle of water near you at all times. If the cat even attempts to bite/scratch, give it a good squirt in the rear, or a mist in the face. Most cats hate this and it will teach them that when they bite/scratch something unpleasant happens. If it continues biting/scratching keep squirting.

3) If squirting doesn't work, try a loud noise, from say a horn/whistle. Cats dislike high pitched loud noises.

Hopefully these suggestions help, but please do at least call your vet to see if they have any further suggestions since they know your cat better.

I don't know who told you spots have to be on the fur only. My Cami has a black spotted belly too (she's a tabby), and I was assisting the surgery the day she was spayed, and her spots are on the skin, as well as about 100 or more tabbies I've prepped for surgery in the past. But that's beside the point. LOL

Good luck

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

cat bitting

My large Maine Coon would bite me when I first adopted him. I now put my finger gently on his nose and say NO BITES. He understands and stops right away. I hold my finger on his nose for a good 30 seconds and then I walk away. It works very well for me. Good luck to you.