Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! I've tried everything to make my cat stop biting me!

Use the water squirt bottle. Carry it with you for a day or two if need be. The cat will learn very quickly what is OK and what is not OK.

cat bitting

My cat is about 6 months old and bits she doesn't bit to hurt she seem to know that, but I fear she may start.
    Do I have to worry about that?
    I have never had a cat befor only dogs and dogs learn pretty fast Cats seem to have a mind of their Own.
    love my cat just the same.
    Lilly75

I agree with catlady711. I use a squirt bottle most of the time. I also use the grab methode. Our youngest LUCY is at the stage that he likes to bite. When he goes to bite I let he grab my thumb, nail up, then gently grab his lower jaw. I hold for just a few secounds and he gets the idea that this is not a good thing, too be trapped. All of our young ones went through this and none bite.
    GILL & Crew;

Everyone has given you excellent advice and, if after trying these things you still see no success, ask your vet about Clomicalm. It's for behavior problems in dogs but has been used successfully w/cats. I have 4 of my cats on it for aggressiveness and inappropriate peeing. Try all the other things first because many of us feel that medicating a cat for behavior problems should be a last resort but, as I said, if all else fails, give Clomicalm a try. Or kitty Prozac. Good luck.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

bitting solution

Right bitting is semi-normal i have 2 girls. one of which Shadow was 8weeks when i got her and shes fine, on the other hand Amber is now 2years old and only 5 weeks when i got her she would bite or (wheen) constantly on ear lobes, elbows, ankles and forearms sometimes bitting down really hard and bitting quite nastilly. i found by accident by watching the lion man on tv. by using a babys feeding bottle with cat milk in whenever she started nipping over time shes stopped bitting. i hope this can be of some help. though i did notice a deffinate change in her after she was spayed.

Cat jumping on & biting my dog

I adopted a cat a few weeks ago. He is 1 1/2 yrs. old. He is absolutely precious except that he jumps on my dog's back & bites her neck. She is an 11 y/o small dog & passive. I spray my cat with water when he does this, but it doesn't seem to stop him from repeating this behavior at least once a day. I don't know what to do at this point. I don't want to return him to the shelter, but my dog is old & she cannot continue to be attacked in this way. She cries out everytime he jumps & bites her. What's really odd is that he tries to lie down next to her at times but she gets up & walks away from him since he started biting her. I'm at a loss.

I even took him to my friend's house & he jumped & bit her cat. We both believe that he is jealous. He is a very sweet cat, but possibly jealous of other animals. He is very affectionate & loving. If I can't get him to stop attacking my dog, I will have to bring him back to the shelter & I REALLY don't want to do that.

My friend suggested that I put him on Prozac for a while & see if that helps. I really don't believe in using meds on animals unless it is absolutely necessary. Can anyone help me? Do you think I should try the medication?

Please respond. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalianRN View Post
    I adopted a cat a few weeks ago. He is 1 1/2 yrs. old. He is absolutely precious except that he jumps on my dog's back & bites her neck. She is an 11 y/o small dog & passive. I spray my cat with water when he does this, but it doesn't seem to stop him from repeating this behavior at least once a day. I don't know what to do at this point. I don't want to return him to the shelter, but my dog is old & she cannot continue to be attacked in this way. She cries out everytime he jumps & bites her. What's really odd is that he tries to lie down next to her at times but she gets up & walks away from him since he started biting her. I'm at a loss.

I even took him to my friend's house & he jumped & bit her cat. We both believe that he is jealous. He is a very sweet cat, but possibly jealous of other animals. He is very affectionate & loving. If I can't get him to stop attacking my dog, I will have to bring him back to the shelter & I REALLY don't want to do that.

My friend suggested that I put him on Prozac for a while & see if that helps. I really don't believe in using meds on animals unless it is absolutely necessary. Can anyone help me? Do you think I should try the medication?

Please respond. Thank you.
    If you've tried spraying him w/water and saying firmly and loudly (though not yelling) NO! and your cat is still aggressive towards other animals then, yes, try the medication. I'm w/you; I didn't want to medicate my cats for any reasons other than medical. However, I now have 4 cats on Clomicalm which is used for inappropriate vertical spraying and also for aggression and anxiety. Some here on PT currently have their cats on Prozac and are seeing good results w/it. If it comes down to returning your cat to the shelter, which you've admitted that you don't want to do, or medicating him just so he mellows out (he won't be so drugged that he can't function; your vet will regulate his med until the dosage is right), then I think the choice should be obvious. Good luck w/this. I know how frustrating it can be but your kitty deserves a chance to show you that he can be a good boy. And your doggie deserves some peace, especially when you see that he wants to be friends w/your cat.
    Blessings,
    Mary

After doing a lot of research I found the following techinique which worked beautifully for me and I've posted it around the web in a few places. I just found one and cut and pasted here because it's a lot of typing to do from scratch each time. It's easier to do this technique if it's you the cat is biting, more diffiicult if it's the dog or someone or something else, but hopefully with some diligence and by at least stopping the cat from biting you, it will affect her behavior in other situations as well. Hey, it's worth a try. I like this technique becuase it is not only humane, and it not only teaches them to stop the unwanted behavior, it also, at the same time, teaches them more appropriate behavior. If you decide to give it a try, I wish you luck!

Here's what I cut and pasted ...

When I adopted my Deja Vu, she would often suddenly grab my hands with all fours, nails out, and start biting, kicking and scratching me with her back legs. She also would often attack my ankles when I walked past her.

I found the following technique after searching around the web, and although it seems to be a bit different than most I've seen, it worked beautifully. Within 3 days, whenever she had the urge to repeat the behavior, she would actually stop and look at me. All I had to do was wag my finger and say "uh uh uh" and she would stop and then play in a more appropriate way (more on that below). It took only a few more days for her to stop the biting and scratching behavior completely, both with hands amd ankles. She's been with me now for 3 years and never went back. Here's the technique, and I hope it works for you as well as it did for me.

When they bite or attack, even though the immediate reaction is to pull your hand back or yank your foot away, or even yell out "no" or something similar (because it hurts!) try not to do that and try to stay calm. It works better that way.

Also, always do this as soon as they start biting. If you wait too long, they won't make the conection.

As soon as the cat starts to bite, as quickly as possible but in as smooth a movement as possible so as not to surprise or scare the cat, move your hand away from their mouth and around their body to grab the scuff of the neck (like the mother cat would to pick them up).

Then, still moving quickly but still smoothly so this is all one quick step and movement, firmly but gently push the cat's head down towards the ground (so their chin in on the ground), at the same time in a loudish, somewhat harsh tone saying something like "No" or "Bad Kitty" or whatever you say to discipline (supposedly this is supposed to be very much like what a mother cat does to discipline her kittens, which is why it is supposed to work so well, at the same time not scaring the cat). Just make sure you are firm and gentle. The position is what is important, you don't want to inflict pain or negative emotions.

Then, as soon as you do that, let go. The cat should have calmed down. You can pet the cat, but just oncee or twice and say something soft and nice, but then immediately pick up one of the cat's toys that is appropriate for her to bite and play with roughly (I recommend the stick type toys with things dangling from the ends because it keeps your hands away from them so there is no confusion as to what is appropriate to play with and not. I left one of those in every room while I was trying to train her.) and play with the cat for a couple of minutes. I do not agree with the idea of leaving the cat to teach it a lesson. What lesson?

The reason for this final step is that when they do the biting behavior it's a how cats play, and it probably indicates that a tthe moment they have a lot of energy that needs t be expended. They will play with people, with dogs, the way they are taught to play as kittens, and that play was training to hunt. This technique addresses that, gives them what they need, a way to expend energy and playfulness, but teaches them more appropriate ways of expending that energy. Sort of a "good games, bad games" lesson.

This worked so well for me, and to this day she feels free to go as crazy as she wants when I play with her with her toys, but will stop when it's just my hand, yet she is not afraid of my hands in the least. She just knows that hands are for petting and scratching backs and rubbing bellies and giving treats (especially a few drops of maple syrup, her favorite, go figure), and not for biting.

The reason I liked this technique is that it not only stopped the bad behaior, it taught her appropriate behavior at the same time. Now, 3 years later, you couldn't ask for a sweeter, more loving, amusing, playful cat that does not bite. Or scratch. Or attack. One who was a feral fed by neighbors before I took her in.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by catwhispers View Post
    As soon as the cat starts to bite, as quickly as possible but in as smooth a movement as possible so as not to surprise or scare the cat, move your hand away from their mouth and around their body to grab the scuff of the neck (like the mother cat would to pick them up).

Then, still moving quickly but still smoothly so this is all one quick step and movement, firmly but gently push the cat's head down towards the ground (so their chin in on the ground), at the same time in a loudish, somewhat harsh tone saying something like "No" or "Bad Kitty" or whatever you say to discipline (supposedly this is supposed to be very much like what a mother cat does to discipline her kittens, which is why it is supposed to work so well, at the same time not scaring the cat). Just make sure you are firm and gentle. The position is what is important, you don't want to inflict pain or negative emotions.
    I concur w/this totally. I watched my tortie cat Pigeon in action w/my rambunctious little 1/2 lb. 5 week old calico Puddy who charged her and tried to head butt her. Pigeon held Puddy's head down w/her massive paw and Puddy squirmed and squawked but Pigeon would not release her until she calmed down. Pidge wasn't Puddy's mom but she acted like one and the two of them became good buds after that.
    Blessings,
    Mary

I've been using the Mother cat pin down & so far so good !!!! I've also used the thumb in the mouth & that has worked as well.

I just want to thank everyone for their help. I really would like this to work out. He's such a great cat. I just have to work on breaking the bad habits & we'll be okay.
    Last edited by ItalianRN; 12-08-2008 at 01:50 PM. Reason: added to the post

I'm rootin' for you both! I hope it works out and please keep us posted!

Don't forget the follow through by playing with him afterwards. I really think it makes a difference.

Biting and Wrestling

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711 View Post
    I don't know about in your particular situation, however at our hospital seems about once a month we get similar complaints (usually from elderly people with circulation problems or diabetes). Upon questioning most of them it comes out that someone in the house has been 'wrestling' with the cat on a regular basis using their hands. This only teaches the cat that biting/scratching a human hand is ok and is fun.

In your case I don't know exactly what might be causing it (a check up with the vet to rule out medical problems should be in first order).

However assuming it's behavioral there are a few things you can try.

1) If ANYONE in the house is 'wrestling' with the cat (whether it's with a bare hand, foot or a gloved hand) put a stop to it NOW.

2) Keep a small squirt bottle of water near you at all times. If the cat even attempts to bite/scratch, give it a good squirt in the rear, or a mist in the face. Most cats hate this and it will teach them that when they bite/scratch something unpleasant happens. If it continues biting/scratching keep squirting.

3) If squirting doesn't work, try a loud noise, from say a horn/whistle. Cats dislike high pitched loud noises.

Hopefully these suggestions help, but please do at least call your vet to see if they have any further suggestions since they know your cat better.

I don't know who told you spots have to be on the fur only. My Cami has a black spotted belly too (she's a tabby), and I was assisting the surgery the day she was spayed, and her spots are on the skin, as well as about 100 or more tabbies I've prepped for surgery in the past. But that's beside the point. LOL

Good luck
    Hi, I have a pure white fur, blue eyed kitten named Shine. She has been biting me since she was very tiny, and has never stopped biting. She almost NEVER bites or scratches hard enough to draw blood, but I've got pretty thick skin, and it hurts SO bad, on occasion she even does draw blood.

Of course I didn't wrestle with her when she was very small, but she's getting to be around 5 or 6 months old now, and I wrestle with her using my hands.. almost every time she comes close to me. She will run up to me, and just latch onto me and start clawing and biting, wanting to wrestle and play. (It gets MUCH worse when the fleas get bad on her, I bathe her every couple weeks with anti-flea shampoo)

I know now, from reading this thread, that I need to stop encouraging that kind of play if I want to stop being bitten.

My problem is this.. I've tried to stop wrestling with the kitty before, because of the pain, but if I do not wrestle, she will not come near me. When she latches on to me, I can either wrestle with her, or she will just scratch and bite a few times and then run away. She will never just let me pet her. She can even be sleeping, and if I pet her, she will wake up and dig her claws into me and just cling to me like that and start biting.

I want to have her be a calm cat that I can pet and cuddle with. She sleeps with me just fine, but if I am awake, she just wants to fight.

I've tried to reward her for not biting.. But I -never- get the chance. If she can see me, she is ready to pounce and bite.

I can stop wrestling her to stop being bitten, but then how do I get her to start being affectionate, in place of that aggression? I don't want to just have a kitty that won't come near me anymore.

Stop the wrestling...and I think if you wait long enough, and can get some caresses in, she will learn that different contact is possible. She just needs to learn and be shown.

It will take time and patience.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Soda can filled pennies. Shake it everytime he bites. One question though...is he declawed? You can also try a squirt bottle.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

It takes some time but she will learn. The best thing is not to wrestle in any way shape or form. As I said before I have the bottles all over the house and every one knows I shoot frist and ask questions latter. It is kind of fun as the older ones know when I reach for a bottle someones going to get wet. They will keep an eye on me. The younger ones scater.
    GILL & Crew;