Page 1 of 74 123456789101151 ... LastLast

Thread: I have cancer....the road to recovery

I have cancer

Didn't really know how to start this thread so I picked a title that would get right to the point. I rarely post any more especially about myself but with this thread, I'm hoping to get some information from others who may have gone through this.

For 3 weeks in July I battled pneumonia. When I had my follow up chest x-ray, it showed a shadow on my right lung. Two weeks ago my GP called me into her office and told me that further tests were necessary and that it may be cancer. I walked out of her office and back to work in total shock.

On Monday of last week, I had a bronchoscopy and today I got the results of the biopsy. It confirms that it is cancer, in fact it's a typical carcinoid tumour, not really a lung tumour. This is not bad news because it's the type of tumour that is least likely to spread and should be pretty much localized. All I need is sir jury with no chemo or radiation and I expect that they will take out part of my right lung. In doing some research, I found out that it's not related to smoking or second-hand smoke. I'm a non-smoker BTW.

On August 17th I have an appointment for a CT scan and right after that (the same day) I need to meet with a thoracic surgeon. On August 24th I have an appointment for a full PET scan and this will determine if it has spread to other parts of my body or not.

I don't know when the sir jury is going to be....perhaps late September or early October and am told that I'll be hospitalized for about a week and off work for about two months. That seems like a long time to me. You just watch.....I'll be walking the hallway the day after and back to work in a month.

Right now I'm not scared because I'm not alone. I have a great support system, both inside and outside of Pet Talk. This "thing" is not going to break my spirit, nor is it going to bring me down. My attitude is positive and I know I'm going beat this. This is just a "crook" in the road and I'll be back on the right path before you know it. For those of you who don't know, I work for the Canadian Cancer Society and have lots and lots of resources available to me.

So, does anyone know of anyone who has gone through this sir jury? Just curious as to what I can expect. I have a whole page of questions for the surgeon but any advice that you can give me will be very much appreciated.

Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by slick; 06-20-2007 at 01:08 AM.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

oh my
    I am at a loss for words Slick - I can't imagine how you feel.
    Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

I am so sorry! There's not a lot we can say or do except be there for you. And you're approaching and dealing with it great. The more positive attitude, the better you will do. I'm so glad you're not going to let it defeat you. We won't let it take you. Pm me if you ever need to talk. I'll give you my number there. I pray is doesn't spread further. I wish you all the best and keep us updated.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

I'm so sorry! Wow, I can't even imagine how you feel right now. I hope you are OK, you'll be in my thoughts.

I Don't Know U, But...

GOOD LUCK TO YOU. I AM SURE IT WILL WORK OUT. YOU WILL BE IN MY PRAYERS.

"The dog represents all that is best in man." Etienne Charlet

www.rornfp.org

Oh Slick! I can hardly believe it. I really wish I knew what to say -- you know you always have my support and that I love you. I know you'll get through this, and though it may seem weird to say, you are so lucky that it isn't a really bad kind of cancer, and SO lucky that your job is what it is and to have all of those resources available to you. I'll pray for you and I'm hoping to be in the Lower Mainland later this year so maybe I can even come and visit you. I'm glad to see you can keep your spirits up and be optimistic. xoxo
    I've been BOO'd!

They are making great strides with cancer. I am hoping for the best for you through all of this and I am glad you have a good support system.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Oh my... god. I saw this thread and it just... blew me away. I am soooo sorry. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. My heart is for you, slick. God will take care of it. Just believe, that's all you've got to do

Oh Slick I couldn't believe it when I read this. I can't even imagine what your going through, but you definately have the right attitude and I know you can beat this. A good friend of mine is a thoracic surgeon if you'd like some of those questions answered a little earlier, I can definately relay them and see what she says, just PM me, in fact if there's anything I can do please let me know. {HUGS}

<picks up Prayer Line> <dials God>

Hi God ~

Guess You prolly heard bout Miz Slick an her "thing", dint'cha?

Quote Originally Posted by slick

This "thing" is not going to break my spirit, nor is it going to bring me down.

My attitude is positive and I know I'm going beat this.

We're sendin Prayers fur her Speedie Recovery -
    anna *wish* that You help her KEEP the "I can BEAT this" SPIRIT!

Miz Slick has a Lotta Places ta GO, an People to SEE ...
    we're Prayin this duzint slow up those plans.

Oh, an send her our LOVE, God!

Thankx!
    /s/ the Prayer Pups anna Purrayer KAT
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Aw Slick I'm at a loss for words.. I'm so sorry you're going through this. I'll be praying for you.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

My dear friend - how very brave of you to post this especially when your nature is to be very private about your own life.

I cannot tell you how glad that I am that you have shared this will all of Pet Talk. When all of the members see this thread - and respond, then you will get a true idea of how well loved you are and respected here on Pet Talk.

Slick, you have places to go - and things to see - and you haven't done them yet.............BUT YOU WILL!

I think we talked last night about a "little swim" you want to take - and it will be my personal mission to make sure that you get to do that.

Just know that you are well loved and supported and prayed for by many.

If you see a glow down south from you - it is my nightly candle that I will burn for you while I pray for you.

xxoo me

Please please please make sure you ask if you need anything at all. I will be there for you in a heartbeat.

hugs and prayers!

Slick,
    You have the right mental attitude, and you will beat this thing!!!

I cannot offer you any advice on THIS specific type of cancer, but I am currently going through Gastrointestinal Cancer with my Dad ..........
    He has the right mental attitude NOW, but for awhile he did not. The treatment is complete, and he goes for another scan in about 2 weeks. They will decide then whether he needs to have an operation or not ..... he has been through the Chemo and Radiation already

I have done alot of reading, and there is this website that has given me lots of information .... I hope it will help answer questions you may have ....

NCI Cancer Site

Slick, please know that my thoughts are with you. I wish I could be there to hold your hand, and to listen .............

{{{hugs}}}
    Michelle
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."

Slick- you have the absolutely right attitude: you can beat it

If you are like me it may help you to consider it as a project that has to be managed in a good way Good thing in projects: they have a start and they have an end when they will be successfully completed.

My eye doctor (the one who had diagnosed my brain tumor) had something similar some years ago. He was a non-smoker as well and then he developed a sort of cancer and lost one lung. It's now more than 5 years and he is doing very well.

{{{{Hugs}}}}