Thread: Long Haired Breeds

Long Haired Breeds

Hi I'm helping a friend try and find some long haired dog breeds. He hates shedding dogs, so short hair is out of The question. I only know a short list like Beshan (spell check), Lhasa apso and poodle. Just to clarify I'm meaning dogs that if you dont cut there hair it will just keep growing and growing kinda of thing.

Well of course I recommend the Collie!!! Shedding tips. Before I brush i have like a plant spray bottle with about 5 TBLSP of regular old human hair conditioner mixed with water. I mist my collie before I brush and it cuts down on the shedding. Also all dogs shed some. I also give my dogs Norweigien Kelp for healthier Hair and Skin. This is Steele's coat in July.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tim ~ Majestic Collies

"Just when you think there are no Angels, a Collie comes into your life"
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take
    but by the moments that take our breath away"

GIVE ME THE HELPLESS, THE LOST, THE HOMELESS LITTLE ONES STRUGGLING TO LIVE; SEND THESE WEAK,
    ABANDONED LIVES TO ME, I OFFER HOPE, CARE, WARMTH AND MOST OF ALL LOVE,

Pledge of a Rescue Worker

No I woudln't say they all shed my Lhasa poo (mix of lhasa apso and poodle) never left hair any where at any time of year.

Im sure im calling it something wrong then, to me a Collie is a "short haired dog" meanign they shed to get rid of the hair at a given length. A "long hair dog" to me is a dog you have to cut there hair because it will keep growing.

Collie are awesome dogs and I love there looks and personality but my buddy need a dog that wont leave hair around the house. Thank you for your opion MajesticCollies.

Cockers and Afghans.

I think you meant Bichon by Beshan...in case you try to look up any info on them.

Maltese, shih tzus, and schnauzers are also dogs that don't shed and their fur needs to be brushed and/or clipped regularly. Does your friend have time and money for grooming? These types of dogs coat will get matted easily if not clipped short or brushed daily.

Please tell your friend to check http://www.petfinder.com You can search by breed. There are plenty of wonderful rescue dogs needing homes, give them a chance.

Thank you much for the spell check

Yes he has the money to get the dog trimed, I told him all about it. He said he was fine with that as long as it didnt leave hair, hehe.

Thank you much for those Breeds.

Purebred cockers shed very little, but they do shed. Almost every cocker MIX I've met sheds a ton though. All dogs shed, even people shed. If you sweep the floor in my house you find about half dog hair and half people hair. Collies shed a lot. There's tumbleweeds of hair all over my uncle's house. Maybe your supplements help, but a collie without all sorts of supplements is a shedding machine.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Shih tzus can leave hair behind. Mine has allergies and during the spring and fall when they seem the worse for her she sheds from the frequent scratching. I try to keep her hair short especially in the spring and fall This helps on hair loss and enables me to use anti itch products on her without matting up her coat . Shih tzus are prone to allergies. And it takes alot of time and money to take of the coat. But they make great companions.

Go cocker! I adore my Reggin's fuzzy little fur 'pants'. He sheds a wee bit but not bad at all compared to most dogs. I think your going to have a hard time finding a breed that "never" sheds.

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452
    Collies shed a lot. There's tumbleweeds of hair all over my uncle's house.
    Lol! That's quite true. I find "tumbleweeds" of my sheltie's hair all over. It's only during the summer and he doesn't shed when you pet him. Only during shedding season and when I brush him. I literally get handfuls of hair when I brush him.