Thread: Hot Spots

Hot Spots

My Cokette has been through a lot with hot spots. I took her over & over to the vet and spent way over $1,000. in vet fees and after a bunch of shampoos, blood tests etc... they still dont know what to tell me. She is on the revolution and the vet started her a month early in case she had mange. I kept telling the vet it was hot spot but the vet still wont agree. This spring, she lost all her fur from the top of her back by her neck to her tail. Her fur is growing back now but she is still getting hot spots and as I feel the top of her back in that spot it gets extreemly hot like if she was burned. I put her in the tub and hoes her down. This helps a little. Is this minopause hot flashes?
    Any way a person in the park who voluteers at the humain society was telling me of her dog who is same size as mine is having hot spots too and the vet at the humain society told her to give her dog half of a Benedrill and she says that it's helping. I forgot to ask her if she gives it every day or what. I haven't seen her at the park since to ask. I have given Cokette half of a Benedrill and it appears to be helping. I can't afford to take her back to the vet. I used up all my money I had and they did not help. Cokette is 11 yrs old and she never had this problem until this spring. Does anyone know or is having the same problem?

Some of these Vet fees are

something else.

It's possible your dog has or had sarcoptic mange and Revolution is an appropriate treatment. If the dog is over the mange then you are probably dealing with secondary skin infections, and may need an antibiotic such as Cephalexin. If I were you, I'd call in, or drop by the Vet without the dog in tow. Ask if the dog might possibly have a skin infection given the prior suspicions of mange, and ask for the antibiotics. If they say they need to see the dog, then tell them the truth- you don't have the money for another appointment, but could cover the $10 for the antibiotic. Even if you are no longer treating for mange it would be wise to ask for antibiotics. If the Vet wants to milk you for another $200, ask your friend at the ASPCA for help.

If you are still battling the mange and still on Revolution then it's important not to rub any cortisone containing salve or shampoo on the dog. That will suppress the immune system and make getting rid of the mange harder. Something like Harts oatmeal shampoo might help sooth the skin.

The benedryl can be dosed 1-2 mg/lb of dog 2X daily. Confirm dosage with a Vet.

As a dietary try you may want to consider supplementing the diet with fish oil as the Omega-3 fatty acids have a slight anti-inflamatory property. Also adding in Vitamin-E will aid in the repair of the skin. Do a search on the web for the appropriate dosage of Vitamin-E in dogs.

Dogs do not have menopause as do humans. Skin problems can range from mange, food or environmental allergies, metabolic, or auto-immune diseases.

Gold Bond Powder is also a good mild medicine to dry up the irritated skin and heal it. In all the years I have had my Collies, I have only had one hot spot. That was on my female after she gave birth to her litter. She developed the hot spot on her back leg. I applied the Gold Bond Powder and Gave her many extra Suppliments. The hot spot dried up in about 4 days.

Your girl as she gets older probably needs more Vitamins and Suppliments in her diet each day to elevate her immune system. I recommend a couple of products for you to try. It will most definately make a huge difference. I recommend Nupro Gold or Nupro Silver, or like I use Solid Gold Seameal for Dogs.

The Nupro Gold is explained here.

Nupro Dog Supplement - Regular (Gold Label) or Joint Support for Seniors (Silver Label)

All Natural Dog Supplement was researched and developed by a nutrition doctor. It is a totally holistic product that replaces the vitamins, minerals, and digestive enzymes that a dog does not get from his processed food. In other words, what we are doing is replacing with natural ingredients what a dog would normally have gotten in the wild. It is excellent for all breeds and all ages from puppies to geriatric. Made with liver, kelp, bee pollen, yeast culture, flaxseed, borage oil, lecithin, garlic, lactobacillus acidophilus (promotes healthy digestion) and calcium citrate. The Gold Label is regular Nupro. The Silver Label Nupro contains Joint Support with glucosamine, MSM and Ester-C for senior dogs, and those with arthritis and other joint problems. A powder that makes a yummy liver gravy my dogs love. Our senior Great Dane has increased mobility and less joint stiffness since we've been adding Nupro to her diet. And, as a picky eater, it also encourages her to finish her dinner.

The Solid Gold Seameal is explained here

Solid Gold Seameal contains 60 trace minerals, 12 vitamins, 22 amino acids, digestive enzymes, and flaxseed meal. It is excellent for animals with allergy problems and/or skin and coat problems. When Seameal is added to food, it increases the digestibility of the food. It is made with 19 different species of sea vegetation, an excellent source of nutrients. The addition of seaweed and kelp to an animal's diet can produce many great benefits. SeaMeal can help boost the immune, hormone, and enzyme systems of the body, restore lost hair growth, intensify coat color, and boost the immune system.

It just may be that your girl needs a little more Vitamins and Minerals in her life to keep the hot spots from coming back

I hope this is useful for you. I'll keep your fur baby in my thoughts.
    Tim ~ Majestic Collies

"Just when you think there are no Angels, a Collie comes into your life"
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take
    but by the moments that take our breath away"

GIVE ME THE HELPLESS, THE LOST, THE HOMELESS LITTLE ONES STRUGGLING TO LIVE; SEND THESE WEAK,
    ABANDONED LIVES TO ME, I OFFER HOPE, CARE, WARMTH AND MOST OF ALL LOVE,

Pledge of a Rescue Worker

About Cokette

My dog has already had antibiotics twice as well as the vitamines that I show here plus she was prescribed these 3 different shampoos. She eats also gastro formula for senior dogs. I know that dogs don't get hot flashes. I was being funny . The hot area on her is always on her upper back and it comes and goes like hot flashes. She also nibbles at herself. So far the half benedrill appears to help.
    I dont give it to her every day. Only when I see her nibble or notice the heat spot on her back. It doesn't happen every day. I have no more money and on disability so a vet is out of the question. I do plan to call the humane society on monday and see if they can help me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shampoos.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	29588   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vitamins.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	141.9 KB 
ID:	29589