Thread: Should I get a kitten? Been thinking about it..

Should I get a kitten? Been thinking about it..

I've been wanting a kitten or a cat for awhile..and I'm wondering if it's the right time. I already have a dog, two bunnies and turtles, hermit crabs and fish..the bunnies/turtles/fish all live outside. I'm wondering if adding a kitten to my home would be a big adjustment..Delilah, (German Shepherd), has never been around cats..but she is fine with the other animals. Plus, I've been having a little mice problem in the basement..grr..so besides having a new family member, the cat/kitten would help out too. My sister's cat just had kittens, and she told me I could have one if I wanted..but I'm still thinking about it. I've asked other family members/friends what they thought..just for the input...and it seems like some of them think I am just starting to hoard animals because they think I'm lonely..I don't think that is the case, I love all of my pets and I take great care of them IMO. My yard is completely fenced in, so if the cat would be an inside/outside cat..I don't think it would run away. Another option would be to adopt an adult kitten from a shelter. What do you all think? Opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks Anita Cholaine for the awesome siggy!

Having a fenced in yard will not keep a kitty inside the yard, they climb fences and can dig and go under fences.
    If they arent fixed they come back pregnant.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

I agree with Craft lady, IMO (and it is just an opinion ) cats should be indoor only. How is your GSD with SMALL animals? Properly introduced and well praised for both of them they may become fast friends! We have 6 kitties and 2 dogs soon to be adding a 3rd, gummy pigs, birds, rats and snakes. We don't hoard we are NEVER bored, and yes we love them all also, I am of the belief that barring mental Illness your heart will swell to fit all the critters in your life.

That's great how you decided on wanting to add a beloved cat to your family.
    Personally I cannot see how your family thinks your are hoarding animals, but that is their opinion.

One question I have for you. Is your sister within walking distance? Why I ask this, is because I was thinking that it might be good if you could bring your dog over to your sister's and introduce her to one of the kittens to see how she would react to it. Then continue to do this on a regular basis and start having them slowly interact with one another. This way your dog would get use to having a cat around.

If you do land up getting a kitten or cat and want it to go outside, please train it to wear a harness and leash. This way you know it won't go astray and land up having something happen to it.

Good luck.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

You guys are right, I don't know what I was thinking about the indoor/outdoor thing...but..If I get one of the kittens...it will not be de-clawed, IMO its cruel..its a cat..they need their claws. I've already yelled at my sis about not spaying her cat after the FIRST unwanted litter! She is going to have her male neutered first, her cats never go outside..and the spca reccommended they get the male neutered first. My sis lives about 15/20 minutes from me, she could bring one to my house and see if there were any problems with my dog. I have seen the kittens, incredibly cute of course, they are mitten-toed? (6 toes on each paw) I still haven't decided for sure yet, but thanks for the opinions!

Thanks Anita Cholaine for the awesome siggy!

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Awww! Polydactyl kittens! How Cute! I say go for it, but make sure to (1) have the kitten spayed/neutered and (2) microchipped if s/he's going to be an indoor/outdoor kitty.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Should I get a kitten?

There's obviously lots of love and plenty of room in your heart so go for it! Just one suggestion though, seriously consider keeping your new baby as an indoor only kitty. Our Groucho has been a strictly indoor kitty since he decided he was coming home with us some 5 years ago and there have been no problems with that. He loves to sit in the window by the hour watching the birds & squirrels outside. Your attitude about declawing is commendable and you'll find most of us on PT feel the same way. I too love all animals but living in the city limits us. Please let us know what you decide. By the way, when you adopt your kitten, pictures on PT are required. And be sure to include the mandatory cuteness overload warning up in the title.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

I would consider getting an Older Cat from a shelter as a Kitten can too easily be injured by a Big Dog, by accident.
    I would try to find an Older Cat about two or three who has been around Dogs, and is used to them.
    A little Kitten to some Dogs sadly looks like prey.
    And there are many Fine Older Cats who need and deserve a Furr Ever Home.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS