Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My rescue group is BROKE. :(

My rescue group is BROKE. :(

One by One is having a severe crisis right now with lack of funds. Our vet bills alone are in the thousands of dollars. It is scarey.......what will happen to all the cats housed in our shelter if we can no longer afoord them?

PRAYERS for a miracle are needed. PRAY HARD!

ALSO............ANY ideas on fund raisers that really work??? What can we do to raise the bank balance? What do YOUR shelters do that really works for them?

Just go look at the wonderful cats we are helping at One by One Many of those will never be adopted but we knew they would always be safe with us. Now the future is uncertain.

Bake Sales in front of WalMarts
    Car Washes
    Donation Letters to previous adoption people
    Yard Sales

Get the media involved
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Our rescue is building two new buildings on a wing and a prayer. They have had some good results from yard sales, even though they already run a thrift store.

Also, they are selling memorial pavers. They will eventually be used to create a garden. Businesses can buy larger ones. I ordered one for my RB Ted E. Bear for $65.

If someone can get a newspaper or TV station to do a story (no matter how small) it can really help.

Jen - Of course, I had to look at the cats, even though I knew it would about break my heart. And, of course, I want to scoop up Napoleon, and Scrap/Colonel Mustard because they look so like my own beat-up old FIV+ boys, and Tara the broken, and the CH kittens because I'm learning from my own that these cats have a ultra-vibrant zest for life. So, are all of those in foster homes?

I'm afraid my vet has all my ready money, and all my owed money money also.

The shelter that I've adopted cats from holds two events per year to bring in funds. One is the "Average Joe" cat show where people pay to have their cats compete in categories such as "loudest purr" "strangest meow" "longest whiskers". The other is the "Black Cat Ball", held late in the year, at which they hold a silent auction of donated items. Do you have people who are particularly good at getting hold of businesses to ask for donations? Anyone who is good at writing grants? Can you advertise for volunteer development people?

I was going to suggest a Yard sale and phoning the media but I see it already has been suggested. What about setting up a booth somewhere were there is alot people and ask for donations? Do you have a cat show in your area in the near future? Alot of groups get a booth at the cat shows and get donations there. I can't think of anything else right now but if I do I will be sure to let you know. I do have an idea that a local group use to do here but it isn't a quick fix. The made a calender of peoples pets, they picked 12 out of all the entires they would get and then made a calencer and sold it. They did really well with it. Buit that wouyld take awhile to organize and get it done.
    Melissa

One of our most successful fundraisers is coin cans. The shelter has about 30 cans out at local businesses. They have a couple pictures of shelter residents and our website address on the labels. Someone picks them up monthly or whenever the business calls and says it's full. They are time consuming--lots of change to roll--but they bring in hundreds every month!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Also - if a booth at a cat show is not timely or if it's costly...ask a friendly pet store or grocery store manager if you can set up a donations table. Maybe tie it in with a special event they are having!

The coin cans are good. I suggest some double sided tape on the bottom so people can't run off with them....some idiots do!

A cheap way is to use coffee cans with the plastic lids...and print out labels with the shelter name and pics on them.

HUGS
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Can you have people sponsor a Cat, or Kitten who cannot actually adopt one?
    Our SPCA does quite well with thier sponsored Cats and Dogs.
    Sadly this is going to come to a head with all these idiots not caring for thier Pets, and a lot of innocent animals are going to pay a very high price indeeed.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Keep the suggestions coming. I will be passing them along.

We do already have a "sponser a cat program". We do most of the cat shows in the area (as they are available). We also send out a newsletter (which is due to go out ASAP). Plus several other things.

Oh, to answer, NO, not all the cats are in foster homes. We have a building. It houses 50 to 60 cats. Probably more than half of these cats are life-timers as they have issues that prevent them from finding homes.

I'd sure like to come up with a real winner of an idea to bring in funds.

Our shelter has pets featured in the local paper once a week, coin tins in stores, thrift shop, garage sales and food bins in the supermarkets (for people to donate tin or dry food). Nothing new really but I don't think there is a way to make a lot of money in a hurry unless you win the lottery.

okaay....might the group's bank rep know someone who would make an interest-free loan? Or low interest? If the same interest can be paid as they would get on a type of investment, they might go for it.

Or do you know of a supporter who might be privately approached? (Get it all on paper if you do! )

THEN you can pay off the bills, and focus on establishing regular fund-raising activities during the year, for that once-a-month payment!

Just a thought....
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

The rescue group I got Ptolemy and Newton from holds an art auction every year and they raise quite a bit of money from that event. If this might work for your group, contact Tails of Hope (the rescue here) and tell them what is happening. Maybe they can hook you up with the place they use in NY...

Jen,

Definitely get the media involved. Call the TV stations and newspapers. Tell them the plight of the organization.

Yard sales are a great way to raise funds. Don't forget, "One Man's Junk is Another Man's Treasure". I'm sure there are LOTS of people, both volunteers AND people who have adopted from the shelter that have "stuff" they're willing to donate for the sale. All it takes is a phone call.

Good luck.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

The ones here have rummage sales. Some do grooming. The one in eastern Oregon has its own thrift shop.

All my ideas have already been posted, but I will say I hope you guys find a way to make ends meet, and good luck, I know the furry ones (and us, the not so furry ones) appreciate everything you do for them!