Thread: CGC... Any dogs have it?

CGC... Any dogs have it?

I am so happy! I finally figured out what I am doing for my senior graduation project. Basically I am a junior and your junior year you have to do half of the project. For my project I decided I am going to take the CGC test (canine good citizen) and then go to nursing homes and see how dog affect the elders blood pressure and depression change by petting a dog. I already did something like this my freshman year. The only problem is Zoey taking the CGC test. It requires of leash work in a place she doesn't even know and also not pulling on a leash. I am going to try and convince my boss if we could have it at her training place, so she will be a little better behaved. I think it will for sure be a hard challenge because I can't have treats and she does come to me….. eventually on her terms not mine! Like at our agility shows, she will sometimes go off and sniff. I decided I am going to start all over from scratch with her or I was thinking maybe I will just do T.j. I have a whole year to work for this test and it will benefit me and Zoey in the show ring too. So does anyone have their CGC? How hard did you work or is anyone going toward their CGC like me? Any advise or links will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Wow! That sounds like quite a project! Chloe doesn't have her CGC but I've often toyed with the idea of putting her in the program, although I think my itty bitty kitty Thena would be better suited to something like that. hehe

Best of luck with it all! It'll be a heck of a challenge, but how rewarding it will all be in the end! Keep us posted.
    "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
    -- Immanuel Kant

Nanook & Raustyk both have their CGC, Kaige will too once my finances allow it. My dogs are all pretty obedient and Raustyk completed 3 obedience classes before taking the test, Nanook was never in a class, I just trained him by myself. They both passed with flying colors.

As long as your dog is obedient and is social & used to diffrent environments/people/situations you should have no problem. If you have any doubts I'd enroll into an obedience class to refresh the dogs & your skills right before you take the test.

Here's AKC's link with some more info: http://www.akc.org/events/cgc/training_testing.cfm
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Actually flatcoatluver, The canine Good Citizen test is pretty easy. Sit,stay, down all on command walk at heel, Controlled walk with loud distractions at heel and stay at out of sight distance from owner. Brutus my Smooth was a CGC by 10 mos old. Just work the test 20 min a day for a couple of weeks and your fur friend will do just fine. Most trainers around here offer the test for free after completion of Basic Obedience course.

This is Brutus right after he passed his test. Good boy Brutus!!!
    http://www.dogplay.com/Activities/Therapy/cgc.html
    Tim ~ Majestic Collies

"Just when you think there are no Angels, a Collie comes into your life"
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take
    but by the moments that take our breath away"

GIVE ME THE HELPLESS, THE LOST, THE HOMELESS LITTLE ONES STRUGGLING TO LIVE; SEND THESE WEAK,
    ABANDONED LIVES TO ME, I OFFER HOPE, CARE, WARMTH AND MOST OF ALL LOVE,

Pledge of a Rescue Worker

I forgot to mention that some places require your dog to be CGC certified as well as TD (Therapy dog) certified to enter a certain nursing home, school, hospital, etc...

If you are seriously interested in doing therapy work with your dog it is always best to contact the places you wish to assist and see what their requirements are.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Link of test added to my first post

I added a link that explains the full test if you need to know that. Have fun training!!!
    Tim ~ Majestic Collies

GIVE ME THE HELPLESS, THE LOST, THE HOMELESS LITTLE ONES STRUGGLING TO LIVE; SEND THESE WEAK,

Quote Originally Posted by lv4dogs
    If you are seriously interested in doing therapy work with your dog it is always best to contact the places you wish to assist and see what their requirements are.
    Good Idea. We did a handicapp home before and she really enjoyed that, but I would like to be more with elders.
    T.j (english setter)

Quote Originally Posted by MajesticCollies
    Actually flatcoatluver, The canine Good Citizen test is pretty easy. Sit,stay, down all on command walk at heel, Controlled walk with loud distractions at heel and stay at out of sight distance from owner.
    Pretty easy, HAha! For a collie I guess but that would be a miracle for some breeds/dogs!

Niño & Eliza

Actually, In my Basic obedience class there were so many different breeds it was unusual. The class had at least 15 dogs in it. Every dog passed thier test that night. Then again the trainer, she was amaizing with the dogs.
    Tim ~ Majestic Collies

So I contacted two senior service places and they DON'T require the CGC. They do require dogs to be well behaved and are used to crutches and wheelchairs. How do I get her used to wheel chair and crutches?
    T.j (english setter)

Well, I'm never able to make the testing date for therapy dogs and cgc at the local dog club. But I know Autumn would pass with flying colours. Maybe I'll make the November test.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Lady has her CGC. It was very easy for her and I hadn't prepared. We were at a dog event and they were doing testing so I signed Lady up. I was going to do the TDI test with her, but at this point she can't do it. I need to find a place where i can get Toby tested for CGC.

*Nicole*

All three of our dogs have the CGC, and actaually took the additional test portions of the test to be therapy dogs. In fact, they will be doing a visit later tonight!