View Poll Results: Do you compete in any dog sports?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes..

10 30.30%
  • No..

4 12.12%
  • I'd like to..

15 45.45%
  • I have no interest..

2 6.06%
  • I used to, but not anymore..

2 6.06%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you compete in any dog sports?

Do you compete in any dog sports?

I don't *think* we've had a poll like this yet, and I was just curious.

So, do you compete in any dog sports (Agility, Flyball, etc.)? Even if you don't compete, have you taken your dog to any sort of dog sport classes? If you don't compete or haven't trained in any, would you ever like to get involved in any of the dog sports?

I'd like to compete with Tango in agility and Rally-Obedience someday, but haven't gotten there yet as she needs to learn to focus on me in public instead of on the other dogs and what they're doing. Right now, I've been putting her through basic obedience classes and private lessons to help with this and socialize her better with other dogs and so far, its working and she's coming along very nicely. She did go to a couple of agility lessons before, but she wasn't ready for them. She knows all of the obstacles pretty much (has trouble with the teeter, it scares her a bit) but as soon as another dog barked, all attention she had on me was gone and she flew off any obstacle just to get to the other dog. She has an awesome recall, so I could get her back to me, but it just wasn't the right time. By next year, I'm hoping to get her back into agility classes as I think she'll be able to handle them by that time and then later on next year (probably in the fall) I'd like to get involved in Rally-O and take some Rally classes. Who knows, I might just focus on agility next year and get involved with Rally later on. With my next Toller, I'm hoping to compete in agility, conformation, and probably just regular obedience with her.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

I don't, but I might do agility with Buck.

I had Nova in agility classes until I found out she had hip and elbow dysplasia. We're going to set up a course in my backyard and she will run it back there, but I won't compete with her. She loved it and was pretty good, so it's a shame that we won't be doing it.

Luka's too much of a spaz to do agility, though she'd be awesome at it.

Buck's kinda slow, so I'm not sure if we're going to do it or not I have a feeling he wouldn't enjoy it either, but I could be wrong.

i dont...but would love to, and will once my next pup comes along..im planning on doing conformation and maybe agility..and yes, for all who think Great Danes are over sized, lazy couch potatoes, they can compete in agility, and are pretty good at it too

Yes Flyball, Obedience (Clover is back in trial training) & herding (I dont look at herding as a sport though). I would love to do Agility with Elvis but never have the time to start.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Yep, agility with Jack. He absolutely loves it, and so do I! We have our second trial coming up on Aug. 12th and 13th.

I'd love to get Kyra involved in Flyball, I think she'd enjoy it, but my mom might just do agility with her. In the future I'd like to get Jack involved in Obedience and possibly Rally.

edit: Just wanted to add that I'd also like to get involved in freestyle with Jack in the future.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Autumn knows how to do agility, but there is nothing in the area for agility. There isn't even a place for us to practice except our own yard. There is a
    4-h agility competition but I'm an adult and I'm also not involved in 4-h so I can't do that. She used to know herding commands. Imagine a toller entering a herding competition!
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Nope. I do think that Ethan would be good at a some kind of agility or something, but he is so timid in public places with people... heck, you never know, some kind of sport might help to open him up. Anyway, the only place that offers agility is an hour away, and gas prices are too insane for that right now.

I have not done any in a while, just because its all on weekends and I work on weekends. but I have competed in Flyball, Agility, Rally-Obedience,and Musical Freestyle, my my dogs are trained in barral racing, some herding, disc dog, weight pull, bike-joring, and Obedience. with Electra I plan to TRY and show her lightly when possable, I will Join StubbleJumpers mostly to help out the toller folks :P (all the Tollers in my city are part of stublejumpers and they have a bit of a rivalry with the Collie people in the club,and they need more Tollers lol) and as she is a breeding prospect and I am a stickler for working ability I would like to try out for some working titles as well. I also plan to do agility and obedience with her(I enjoy obedience but I cant compete with Happy and Misty for various reasons)
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

I took a few agility classes with Nebo but have never competed in any dog sports.

Kai's finishing off his third set of beginner's agility class now. He's doing pretty well, especially considering how fearful he was at the beginning. I had trouble getting him to do a single jump at 10 inches but now he's doing everything (but the a-frame.. bad experience with it) really well. I hope to have him competing by next year. Kaedyn will start training as soon as I find an agility club to join.

Both are training for their obedience titles right now. Kai just needs a bit of fine tuning, then he should be ready for his CD. He's almost ready for his CDx too. The only thing he has problems with is the retrieve, as he has NO drive to retrieve.

I've thought about doing tracking with Kai as he just LOVES finding things.. he has tons of fun doing it. I think rallyo might be fun for them too, once we work in obedience a bit.

I'd love to do as much as I can with my belgian puppy. We will definitely do conformation, obedience and agility. I'd also really like to take on flyball, rallyo and maybe even schutzhund if I can find a club around here.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Yep... Agility. Zoey got her first title two weeks ago.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Congratulations Zoey ... well done to you both.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

I would love to and hopefully will in the future. I plan on doing agility but my finances are limited and Kaige is not quite old enough to start practicing jumps & the like.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Yes, I've done Flyball, Rally-O, Agility, and some Frizbee with Gonzo. Fozzie will hopefully do all of this too!

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Ashley,

If your Belgian puppy is trained in Obedience, he/she should definitely be able to tackle Rally Novice without any classes really. It's mostly a HANDLER thing in the novice class -- learning the signs, keeping a loose leash, etc.

With Rien, I "do" Rally-O (he's been in one trial and has one leg, we're going to finish his RN title later this year or early next, depending on what my school schedule agrees with more) and SNOW PLAY! Once in a while we do get a chance to go to a friend's house with sibes and huskies and sled. Rien's doing really well as a wheel dog at the moment, and we're working on getting him to run lead. He was a conformation prospect, but that didn't exactly pan out, due to a certain testicle not really reappearing.