Thread: Fitting and Showing your Calf, an illustrated guide

Fitting and Showing your Calf, an illustrated guide

A week ago we had a pro fitter come over and do the calves. Fitting is clipping and shaving the cow to best show them off. My dad has the pictures of her dirty and me scrubbing her, when he sends them I'll add them.

Freckles was first

Clean, fluffy, and trying to dry off

I saved that tuft of hair

Silly Freckles wanted to crawl under the picnic table!

Awww! Look how fluffy!

working

These next few pics are sad.

She didn't want to stay still for him to groom her face so they had to do that.
    More coming!

Niņo & Eliza

The day of the show! Tuesday was juniors and 4-H. I didn't really agree with the judge, she would put the larger, poorer animal over the nicer one each time. Note the horribly fitting show pants I had to order last minute!

Head up, Normy!

Waiting to go in the ring again. It was SO hot!

Judge looking at us. We're 3rd in line here

My pretty little girl

Brushing them in our area

With her reserve champion (second place) ribbon and my family and me. The look on my face says, "TOO hot! Need to change!" My step dad and two little 1/2 sisters congratulating Nuria.
    MORE coming!!

Niņo & Eliza

PRETTY!

Durring Senior Showmanship they had us trade animals. Here I am with a Brown Swiss cow. She was so sweet. I placed last in this class, but I got a pretty lime green 7th place ribbon!

Durring BIS judging, one boy had the only two Dutch Belted at the show, this girl and her momma. Since Jezebelle was the only heifer in the Any Other Breeds category, she got Grand Champion automatically and got to go in for Best in Show, but her owner had to lead Jezzy's mom so I got to lead her!

A Brahma bull in the petting zoo. I loved this guy.
    That's all for now, but when my dad sends me the rest of the pictures I'll update.

Niņo & Eliza

Great pictures - silly Freckles! Was there clover under the picnic bench or something? Silly girl!

And, of course, that Brahma is huge compared to the others!

Congrats on second.
    That cow in the last pic i have never seen a cow that big
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

Your heifer is adorable! somewhere around I have an ancient picture of my ex husband showing his Limousine bull Kansas. If i find it I will post it for you.

Great pics! I want a cow soooooo bad...

I enjoyed the pictures, Eva! Looks like a great time, congrats on your 2nd place!!

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Thanks guys. She's going back to her new/previous owners this week . I'm SO sad. I'm going over to visit her every day this week and when she goes home I'm coming with to meet her breeder and see where she lives. My leaders and the people who did this last year said it is a really nice place. It is a dairy farm owned by a couple who really care about the animals. I plan on visiting her whenever I have a car free for the day since it's several hours away. I was planing on doing a beef project next year but since I can barely handle this there is no way I could handle auctioning one off. If Nuria gets pregnant next spring I think she can come for next summer too!

Niņo & Eliza

i love cows thay are soo cute, thanks for sharing awesome pics and congrats on your results!!!

around here we have some kind of fair type festivities (SP?) were cows are main attraction (around Oct. so i´ll try go and take pics for you) and you can see some HUGE limousines (? im not sure english sp ), Brahma, Angus, Brangus, Holstein, Hereford........so cute!!
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

So sad to hear Nuria will be going back... she is bigger then Jackson i think.. just a tiny bit, that two days older must mean alot they are good pics, looked like a good show.. i didnt think the brahma bull was THAT big, but he was very nice looking.. its cool theyd have a bull in a petting zoo.. he mustve been nice and docile, i agree beef is harder, better, but harder. I hate it.. but love it at the same time.. now i have my own steer its not as hard, but, still REALLY hard, i miss the steers so much. I am breaking in 'Marcelle' at the moment, he is a murray grey steer.. going to show then slaughter end of october.. will be very sad.. Jackson will be sad to lose his play mates too.. Im so sorry you will lose Nuria.. you really should go buy yourself a steer to train and ride! Its a pity you wont end up buying Nuria like you originally planned.. good luck with maybe keeping her or getting a new steer of your own! Hope you will still see us on Ridingsteers... or anyone else interested in any cattle... www.ridingsteers.com come chat on our message boards. Well Seyas!
    Lauren... poor Nuria

She went back yesterday But I have pics, it's a nice place and her owner is very nice.

Niņo & Eliza

Whyy did she have to go back
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

I think I tried to explain it in all my threads about her. "We have a deal that we buy them now, and sell them back at the end of the summer. They live at his farm and hopefully get pregnant so we can take them back to live at the 4-H farm next summer too." It is the only way that I could have a cow. I just thought it would be the whole summer, not just a month. It's really hard to deal with but I know I can go and visit her any time that I have access to a car for a day.

Niņo & Eliza