Thread: Ticks!! Help!!

Ticks!! Help!!

my roxy has ticks and their huge. we killed and took off the ones that we found on her but she was just spayed and we have to wait 7 days till we can give har any type of bath. what is lime disease i heard that ticks can pass it and do they lay eggs quickly. this is my first time having a dog and im shitting bricks. im thinking of bringing her to the vet and to a groomer im not sure but maybe they have something special for situations like mine.

Do you have her on any flea/tick treatment (Frontline, K9 Advantix, etc.)? Take her to the vet ASAP

well yesterday i bought her a flea and tick Coaler just to hold them off for the night, she seemed to be doing preety good and we didnt find anymore but were going to try to got to the vet TODAY!!

ok glad to hear that she seems to be doing ok, the collar should help. Good idea getting her to the vet, just to be on the safe side and make sure that she didn't get anything from the ticks. Good luck and keep us updated!

Pyrethrin spray can help

Quote Originally Posted by sooby707
    my roxy has ticks and their huge. we killed and took off the ones that we found on her but she was just spayed and we have to wait 7 days till we can give har any type of bath. what is lime disease i heard that ticks can pass it and do they lay eggs quickly. this is my first time having a dog and im shitting bricks. im thinking of bringing her to the vet and to a groomer im not sure but maybe they have something special for situations like mine.
    If the ticks are "huge" then the chances are if given a couple of more days they would have fallen out literally drunk with the dog's blood, and able to survive for many months to come. Ticks do not normally lay eggs on the dog. Once the female tick is engorged it falls off and starts laying its eggs on foilage. The idea is that their progeny can hitch a ride on animals (including humans) passing by. If you want to prevent tick borne disease not to mention possible tick paralysis it's important to get ticks off within 24-36 hrs after they attach. A tick will take that long to secret anti-coagulants and plug into a blood capillary. Their saliva may or may not be contaminated with tick borne diseases. Some will produce toxins that can literally paralyze the hind legs of a dog. But once you get past the 24-36 hr any possible infection will have occured. Even when on Frontline or another product the best thing to do is to examine the dog regularly concentrating on areas where the most heat is produced (e.g. armpits), as ticks track they targets by infra-red sensing.

Frontline is best for long term protection. An immediate fix would be pyrethrin (no carbamyl compounds) spray. Other than that get out the twizzers. Sometimes coating the tick with liquid soap aids removal.

I would suggest not taking the ticks out by you. Take her to a groomer or something becuse you dont know if you go the nose of the tick out. It can become infected if left in there and Lime disease is at a greater risk for your dog.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee