Thread: Barking in her crate at night?

Question Barking in her crate at night?

Rita does this A LOT! And it drives us absolute nuts! We are ignoring her, but that really doesn't help. We always have her go outside to go to the bathroom before she goes in the crate, so I don't think she has to go potty. Any suggestions/tips would be very much appreciated!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Poor Rita

As a puppy they get seperation Anxiety. Although during the day her crate training may be going well, night time is always different. I would try putting the Crate in your bedroom at night where the puppy can feel your presence.
    Tim ~ Majestic Collies

"Just when you think there are no Angels, a Collie comes into your life"
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take
    but by the moments that take our breath away"

GIVE ME THE HELPLESS, THE LOST, THE HOMELESS LITTLE ONES STRUGGLING TO LIVE; SEND THESE WEAK,
    ABANDONED LIVES TO ME, I OFFER HOPE, CARE, WARMTH AND MOST OF ALL LOVE,

Pledge of a Rescue Worker

It never even crossed my mind that she may have seperation anxiety!
    This is the part that sucks... my parents don't exactly want the crate in my room, because we JUST got new carpet througout all the bedrooms, and she's already peed in my parents bedroom twice!

Kaitlyn (the human)

How bout a favorite stuffed toy

Does she have a favorite stuffed toy to sleep with? When ever I sell my puppies they always leave the house to thier new owners with a stuffed toy that smells like Momma. If she didnt come with one maybe consider going out and buying a large stuffed animal and sleep with it yourself for a few nights and then give it to her for night time sleeping. Hope it all works out for you. And can anybody help show me how to post pics in these messages. lol
    Tim ~ Majestic Collies

"Just when you think there are no Angels, a Collie comes into your life"
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take
    but by the moments that take our breath away"

GIVE ME THE HELPLESS, THE LOST, THE HOMELESS LITTLE ONES STRUGGLING TO LIVE; SEND THESE WEAK,
    ABANDONED LIVES TO ME, I OFFER HOPE, CARE, WARMTH AND MOST OF ALL LOVE,

Pledge of a Rescue Worker

Whenever Bailey barked in his crate, I just gave him a firm "NO!". After a few days, he stopped. Now he only whines when he has to go potty. He had separation anxiety, but he has grown out of it now.

AMADEUS AUGUSTUS SEBASTIAN THEODORE

Exclamation

Thanks so very much!
    MajesticCollies, that's what I think I'm going to do! I just don't want to spend a ton of money on a large stuffie, though!
    Also, that you, Crazy-cat-lover! We've mostly been ignoring Rita, but I'll try telling her 'no'.

Kaitlyn (the human)

Oh boy this sounds exactly like Bella when I brought her home. Thankfully the folks here at PT encouraged me to put her crate in my bedroom. The result: absolute quiet!!! I had a system with her. Her little pawsies never touched my carpet so she was not able to pee on the way to the outside (I am on the second floor) and, thankfully, she trained before she was too heavy to carry. I carried her from the crate to the yard and she would immediately pee the minute I set her on the grass. My co-worker, who recently adopted two sheltie boy puppies (maybe you even read the thread) has done the same thing. She has found, though, that it is easier to carry one sheltie downstairs at a time. The main thing is to scoop them up from their crates before they get a chance to christen the carpet!

Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    Oh boy this sounds exactly like Bella when I brought her home. Thankfully the folks here at PT encouraged me to put her crate in my bedroom. The result: absolute quiet!!! I had a system with her. Her little pawsies never touched my carpet so she was not able to pee on the way to the outside (I am on the second floor) and, thankfully, she trained before she was too heavy to carry. I carried her from the crate to the yard and she would immediately pee the minute I set her on the grass. My co-worker, who recently adopted two sheltie boy puppies (maybe you even read the thread) has done the same thing. She has found, though, that it is easier to carry one sheltie downstairs at a time. The main thing is to scoop them up from their crates before they get a chance to christen the carpet!
    Pam, I think I'm might have to ask my parents if I can put her crate in my room, (if she keeps it up!) Thanks again, everyone!

Kaitlyn (the human)