View Poll Results: Do you get another after its death?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

33 70.21%
  • No.

2 4.26%
  • Other. Say please.

12 25.53%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When a pet dies?

When a pet dies?

When a pet dies do you get another soon after like about a week after or so?

Or do you wait a year or 2?

For me I get a new pet as soon as possible shure I miss the pet that has passed so very much but for me getting a new one helps release pain and gives me a chance to move on so I stop thinking about the death.

What do you do>?

I get a new one, especially a dog or cat. When one pet dies, it opens up a window to love and rescue another. I don't sulk for a year or two, sulking doesn't do anybody any good.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I would say yes.
    When Marley died, that very same day we officially accepted the hamster we were babysitting as an official resident (with permission, of course!).
    When my goldfish died, leaving her tankmate lonely, I waited about a week, but I did find a goldfish to keep the remaining guy company. And they get along great.
    As for dogs and cats, I don't know. I haven't had one actually die. I do think I would probably get a new member of the family within a few months, though, but not right away. I'm sure thats what the previous pet would rather me do instead of sulking over him/her.
    Mainly the only time I've accepted another pet right after a death is if it left behind a cagemate or a tankmate that was lonely (as with my goldfish) or if it was in need of a home (as with the hamster). I do like to wait for the right pet to come to me.
    Last edited by Chilli; 07-27-2006 at 01:52 PM.

What a sad topic!

No, we have always waited. Thankfully, I have never had to deal with the death of a dog, and hopefully I won't have to for many more years. After my cats passed away though, I never went out and got another, the right cat ended up finding US. I think the only time I wanted to get a pet immediately is after my guinea pig Zorro died, I wanted to get a new friend for Henry. I ended up waiting a couple of months though before I got Elvis. I don't think I'd be able to go and get a new pet so soon after the death of one...but thats just me.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452
    I don't sulk for a year or two, sulking doesn't do anybody any good.
    There is a difference between sulking and grieving. Everyone is different in how they grieve, and for how long they do so. I just think to term it as sulking is somewhat offensive. I think of sulking as petulance.

sulk - to be in a huff and display one's displeasure; "She is pouting because she didn't get what she wanted"

grieve - To mourn or sorrow for; "We grieved the death of our pastor."

For me, it really depends on what my life is like at the time it happens, what my current pets are and what their needs are. Some people grieve very deeply and it can interfere with bonding if they move too quickly.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

When our basset hound, Buddy had to be pts, my parents got Rocky because my parents didn't want us to grieve so much and I have to say he helped our hearts heal. He is almost 10 years old now, I still miss Buddy every day and it's been almost 10 years. I truly believe Buddy told Rocky to be good to us and he has, he really has. but with other pets passing away, we have waited..it's just so hard to rush into another pet so soon for me anyways.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452
    I get a new one, especially a dog or cat. When one pet dies, it opens up a window to love and rescue another. I don't sulk for a year or two, sulking doesn't do anybody any good.
    That's a rather rude way to suggest someone is mourning their pet...If my dog were to die tomorrow I wouldn't consider it sulking if I didn't run right out and get another, which I probably won't. Some people need to greive becuse the loss affects them tremendously, others may not feel as attached and thus can move on without it affecting them as much. Everyone grieves differently, some need another pet right away, some can't bear the thought of it. I don't consdier that pouting.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

Quote Originally Posted by Vela
    That's a rather rude way to suggest someone is mourning their pet...If my dog were to die tomorrow I wouldn't consider it sulking if I didn't run right out and get another, which I probably won't. Some people need to greive becuse the loss affects them tremendously, others may not feel as attached and thus can move on without it affecting them as much. Everyone grieves differently, some need another pet right away, some can't bear the thought of it. I don't consdier that pouting.
    I agree.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I picked other, since it depends. I certainly don't plan ahead and get a new pet immediately just because a 'slot' is open. I think rushing out and getting one right away reeks of trying to replace what you lost, and I've never had a pet I could replace. A lot of factors go into when I bring a new pet into my home. The process has been anywhere from days to years to never (so far).

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.
    I waited a few years, I didn't want Pheobe to feel replaced. Plus, I didn't think I could take care of a dog anymore. After all, I had already killed one...

Pheobe died in 2000.

I got Jenny in oct. 2004.
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

Well we've only experienced the loss of 1 pet, our APBT Jake, 2 years ago. He died in Feb 2004 from testicular cancer and he had been my husbands dog for 6 years. My husband was devastated when he passed and pretty soon afterwards he started looking into other breeds. We got Dozer 3 months later, at the age of 12 weeks (Dozer was born 10 days before Jake passed )....

Yes, but I wouldn't jsut rush out to the shelter or a newspaper add and get a pup the next day or anything. This probably sounds horrible, but if Tango were to die tomorrow I'd call my Toller breeder about 5 days later and ask to be put on the waiting list for a new puppy from the next litter or the litter after that depending on how many people were already waiting. I can't/couldn't ever live without a dog of my own for a too long of a time period. I don't get new dogs/pups to replace my past ones, that just isn't possible. I prefer to get another dog/pup sooner rather than later simply because dogs are my life, and like I said, I truly couldn't live without one of my own.
    Last edited by Tollers-n-Dobes; 07-28-2006 at 12:47 AM.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

I would start searching for the perfect new pet probably a few weeks after one died, but the time when I get a new one would vary depending on when I find the perfect one for our family.

When our dog Retread died, we were not ready for another dog right away as we were still grieving his death, but our other dog Buttons was so depressed that we thought he might grieve himself to death. We got Mandy two weeks after Retread died to comfort Buttons. We weren't ready emotionally but she did help us heal a lot, including Buttons.

When Buttons died, we waited three months before we found the perfect dog (Nova) for our situation. I was ready for another dog maybe a month after he was gone, but the perfect dog didn't come along for two more months.

Now, if I had only one dog and no other pets, and it died, I think I would be at the shelter or humane society within a week after it's passing. My other dogs have helped so much when the other passed, I don't think I could grieve properly without a mountain of fur to bury my tears in.

I don't know! Luckily I've only had to do it 4 times, 3 fish and a hamster. After the fish I got Tigger to fill the tank because I couldn't bare not to have a pet. The hamster was PTS because he had a very large cancerous tumor and he was almost 4 so we couldn't opperate. He wasn't even mine though, my cousin gave him to me to take care of when he moved to England. He didn't know how long he was going to live their but he never saw Hammy again, my cousin ended up staying there 5 years.

Niņo & Eliza

not right away...when my first dane died, i was crushed, ya know to me its like losing a best friend, i just cant go out and try and replace somthing i loved so much..i waited over 2 years before geting another dog after Tank died, that was quite a long time i know, but his death was very hard for me..same with my doby who passed away June 1st of this year..i had been planning on getting another puppy for a while but dobys death definatly put a major hold on that, doby was my first dog i had him for so long, his death was and still is very hard for me to think about