Thread: Siberian Husky Puppy biting and can't train her to stop.

Siberian Husky Puppy biting and can't train her to stop.

I have a 11 weeks old puppy thats biting me everytime she sees us and we can't train her to stop. I know they are biting when they are playing, but their teeth are sharp. I tried to get her to chew on something else, but she would return to biting us again afterwards. Also, when I refush to let her bite me, she comes out biting harder. Is there anyway to relieve this problem? Could it be that siberian huskies are harder to train since they are independent minded? Anything from this dog is ok, but biting is out of the question. Can anyone help me on this? Thanks.

Scream and turn your back to her when she does it. Act like she really hurt you and pay her absolutely no attention for a few minutes afterwards.

Is she crate trained? If she is, put her in her crate when she gets too worked up or some other safe place til she calms down. If she's not, seriously consider getting her a crate and using it.

Yes, huskies are harder to train than many breeds. Training them doesn't get any easier regardless of age. In fact, it's going to get harder when she hits her acting out teenager stage(around 7-18 months).
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Biting

Glacier has one of the right ideas. Another method is when she bites immediately put your hand over its muzzle and curl the lips underneath and apply pressure to make the puppy bite itself and yell firmly "NO BITE" you will know how much pressure to apply by the reaction of your puppy. Yes it find out how sharp thier teeth are. My Collie pup was the same way. After about a week my Collie pup no longer play bites with humans. Keep doing this for it may take longer for some dogs to understand. Don't feel this is in humane cause your not trying to draw blood just enough pressure to make them yelp and under stand the words NO BITE. Let me know after a week or so how it turns out.
    Last edited by MajesticCollies; 07-27-2006 at 09:31 PM. Reason: spelling
    Tim ~ Majestic Collies

"Just when you think there are no Angels, a Collie comes into your life"
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take
    but by the moments that take our breath away"

GIVE ME THE HELPLESS, THE LOST, THE HOMELESS LITTLE ONES STRUGGLING TO LIVE; SEND THESE WEAK,
    ABANDONED LIVES TO ME, I OFFER HOPE, CARE, WARMTH AND MOST OF ALL LOVE,

Pledge of a Rescue Worker

I'll pass along a technique from our first siberian's puppy classes - don't draw your hand back, but push it forward in towards his/her mouth (of course not hared, just to surprise the puppy with a "mouthfull" of hand - they will immediately try to spit out your hand. Shout NO BITING! while you do this. We would also hold her muzzle shut for a moment & look her right in the eye, saying "no biting" . she stopped. If you haven't gotten into puppy classes yet, by all means, do so. You will need to understand dog behavior and how to give corrections properly, especially with a sibe. These guys will challenge you every step of the way! I love my two to pieces!

thank you very much for the informative replies! I will try the methods you guys did. Yes she is crate trained. Thanks.