Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what happens?

what happens?

What happens when pet store puppies dont get bought? Do they go back to the breeders? or are the PTS?

I'm not sure on that one Amber.. I would guess, and truly hope, that they don't get PTS, but maybe sent back to the breeder, though I don't know how much better a fate that is
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

That's a really good question. When I got Sylvia there was some older looking, I think, Goldens there. Older meaning they were adults. I hope they don't get PTS! I think those dogs would have had a better chance of getting adopted at a shelter than sold.
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

Yeah, Ive always wondered. Me and my dad saw this cairin terrier pup, and we fell in love with him. We wanted him really bad. But I dont want to make a mistake again, from getting them at a pet store. I hope he gets a good home.

I don't want to think about it.

I've seen some of the pet stores lower their prices until the dog gets sold. I guess they'd keep lowering so they could at least make some money out of it, instead of putting it to sleep and paying for the euthanasia.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.
    in my town, you have to pay to dump 'em at the pound.

We ( pet store owners ) Don't care about the dogs, we won't cut into our profits so the dog can live a nice life.

They dump 'em in the countryside.

( our pet store only sells small, cute puppies )

Try not to picture maltese, shit zuts, bichon frises,and toy poodles Just reaching adulthood. all alone, at night, in the - 30 temperatures (winter ) and + 20- +30 temperatures (in summer) with no shade, no food no water. Many wild animals, just looking for easy prey. and much much more.
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

Quote Originally Posted by binka_nugget
    I've seen some of the pet stores lower their prices until the dog gets sold. I guess they'd keep lowering so they could at least make some money out of it, instead of putting it to sleep and paying for the euthanasia.
    and at my local pet store, they just get puppies donated from accidental litters- so they don't lose any $$$

I'm not sure what the petstores around here do... I believe they just keep lowering the prices until someone buys them. Its either that or give them back to the breeder.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyhoundGirl
    We ( pet store owners ) Don't care about the dogs, we won't cut into our profits so the dog can live a nice life.

Try not to picture maltese, shit zuts, bichon frises,and toy poodles Just reaching adulthood. all alone, at night, in the - 30 temperatures (winter ) and + 20- +30 temperatures (in summer) with no shade, no food no water. Many wild animals, just looking for easy prey. and much much more.

I'm confused. Are you saying this or is this someone else's words?
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

I heard some employees talking, she was hissing at one of the other employees because the other employee cared about the animals.

in my town, you have to pay to dump 'em at the pound.

I find this very very hard to believe, but if it is true, you should report them.

I don't think the puppies would be brought back to the "breeders" because most of those dogs from pet stores come from puppy mills. And it may be hard to locate these puppy mills to send the dogs back. They'd also have a worse life than in the pet store anyway. I know they lower the prices and also send them to other pet stores if they don't get sold at the one they're at. I'm not sure what they do after that if the dog still doesn't get sold. Unfortunately some dogs get put to sleep at some pet stores if they're not sold.

I heard some employees talking, she was hissing at one of the other employees because the other employee cared about the animals.
    i got this all the time when i worked at the petstore in Nashville. they kept telling me that the dogs are products. if i wanted to "save the puppies" to go work at the humane society. i couldn't quit my job so i just had to male the pups time at the store as enjoyable as possible.

i'm not sure what other petstores do to the older unsold dogs. the one i worked at they lowered their prices. if the bigger breeds got too big for the cages they took them to the shelter. there was an Akita that i named Katie(after the PT pup because she looked just like her) she was never bought so she went to the humane society. i'm not sure what happend to her.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Around here they keep lowering the price till the dog sells. They charge $25 to drop a dog off to the humane society.