Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where's the "miracle" in Nature's Miracle?

Where's the "miracle" in Nature's Miracle?

We came home this past weekend and as soon as we opened the door there was an overwhelming urine odor. We let our noses do the walking and it appears that CJ has been peeing (spraying?) in the corner right by the door. We have our shoes piled there and I said it couldn't be him because our shoes don't smell, but when we picked up the carpet fragment we had down to cover the regular carpeting, there was no mistaking the odor and stains on the bottom of it. We figure he must have been doing it when Terry was at work because right where the stains were the worst is right where Terry's work shoes are, and they don't smell a bit!

I got the ol' trusty Nature's Miracle out and proceeded to clean the walls and the carpeting. After letting it dry, we could still smell the urine, so I cleaned again, emptying the bottle completely. This morning the smell is still pretty strong.

I'm off to buy a blacklight during lunch to make sure we're cleaning the right spot, but we're pretty sure we are because that's where the odor is the strongest. Any ideas on any other products I might use to get rid of the odor - for us and for CJ so he doesn't continue this behavior?

We've got two theories on why he's doing this. The first one is that some previous tenant's cat peed there and CJ can smell it. We're pretty sure this happened because the carpeting is already pulled up as if extensive cleaning had been done on it already. The second one is that we know the neighbors have cats and since this is right by the door, I think he might have been letting everyone outside the door know that his territory starts here!

Anyway, suggestions on cleaners would be appreciated. I'm thinking our $300.00 "pet deposit" is out the window now.....
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Do you have a carpet "steam" cleaner? It would suction out most of the stain so the enzyme cleaner only has to clean up the remnants of the odor. (did that make sense?)

Anyway, an enzyme cleaner that I think works well is simply called Out. I have only seen it at Walmart....it might be their brand, unsure.

I gave Urine Gone a try a few months ago. I bought it at Linen's N Things or Bed Bath and Beyond (with a 20% off coupon ). It comes with a little black light. Anyway, I used it where Ripley sprayed last time he was sick and it seemed to work. I actually watched the stain disappear under the blacklight just like they show in the commercial. But...I tried it on an old place he had sprayed about a foot away and I had tried to clean with Nature's and it didn't really do anything. It doesn't work well if another chemical has been used so I don't know if it would help you much. It has a weird strong citrus smell that seems to help repel Ripley too. Keep in mind though that the stain I cleaned with Urine Gone was small because I caught Ripley doing it and was able to stop him before too much got out.

I used to use Nature's when Disney was having problems and I tried to fool myself that it worked well but honestly I don't believe it did, epecially when I tore out the old carpet and pad and saw how bad the pad was.

From Decker with Love

Quote Originally Posted by jenluckenbach
    Do you have a carpet "steam" cleaner? It would suction out most of the stain so the enzyme cleaner only has to clean up the remnants of the odor. (did that make sense?)
    I had one of those, but sold it at the garage sale before we moved because I didn't think I'd need it in the motorhome. Guess I never considered I'd need it in the apartment.

Thanks for the suggestions Jen & Lori. Anybody else discover any "miracle" cleaners?
    Tubby
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012

Green Spot (some name like that by Bissell) is a portable cleaner machine that you just put on a stain and walk away and it does it's thing and cleans. My next door neighbor swears by it.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

SPOT BOT! I want one of those! Probably a good thing to have even for the motor home.

I've been using Simple Solution for years now and it really seems to get out all of the urine smell. I use it when one of my cats sprays the inside of the covered litterbox. I've also tried Petzyme which I bought at Petsmart and it also works very well. There's also a product called Folex which you can buy at Target and a few other stores. This product is odor free and I've tried it a few times but it didn't work too well to mask out the odors when they throw up and I'm not sure if it would mask out urine odors. Good luck. I sure hope that something will work.

I like Kitty Scram. It smells like bubble-gum.

The black light also really helps. When we used it we were amazed at some the spots that we would have missed otherwise.

These are not the droids you were looking for

Debbie
    Didn't CJ have UTI problems when you first got him? Maybe he's in the start of another one? Gosh I wish I had the answers for you, but you probably already know of our dilemma here. Good luck with this.
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

I use a combination of Out Pet Stain and Odor Remover and Lysol, as Shemp and I do have our accidents.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Bought something called Petzyme. They were all out of black lights though.

When I first put the Petzyme on, it seemed to work great! Even after a few hours I couldn't smell urine. This morning, however, the smell was back, and quite strong again, making me wonder if CJ didn't pee right over the Petzyme, which wasn't even completely dry yet!

I don't remember CJ having a urinary tract infection when we first brought him home. I remember he peed by a fake tree we had, but I don't remember giving him antibiotics.....I'm thinking I'd remember that because he is so hard to pill.

However, I'm off to a different PetSmart today to see if they have blacklights in stock. So....how do these blacklights work anyway? If there is fresh pee it'll glow brightly and if it's older pee it will glow dimly? Just curious if this will help figure out if he's peeing right over my cleanup. I want to know this because if he is continuing, he will be on his way to the vet to check for a UTI. He hasn't exhibited any other symptoms of a UTI, but I know it's better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help!

Oh, PS, must be a mental thing, but all I can smell all day now is cat pee - even at work! And no, I didn't get my nose close enough to get some on it.
    Tubby
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
    Bought something called Petzyme. They were all out of black lights though.

When I first put the Petzyme on, it seemed to work great! Even after a few hours I couldn't smell urine. This morning, however, the smell was back, and quite strong again, making me wonder if CJ didn't pee right over the Petzyme, which wasn't even completely dry yet!

I don't remember CJ having a urinary tract infection when we first brought him home. I remember he peed by a fake tree we had, but I don't remember giving him antibiotics.....I'm thinking I'd remember that because he is so hard to pill.

However, I'm off to a different PetSmart today to see if they have blacklights in stock. So....how do these blacklights work anyway? If there is fresh pee it'll glow brightly and if it's older pee it will glow dimly? Just curious if this will help figure out if he's peeing right over my cleanup. I want to know this because if he is continuing, he will be on his way to the vet to check for a UTI. He hasn't exhibited any other symptoms of a UTI, but I know it's better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help!

Oh, PS, must be a mental thing, but all I can smell all day now is cat pee - even at work! And no, I didn't get my nose close enough to get some on it.
    You can buy a blacklight bulb at any hardware store, and just put it in a normal lamp - might be easier than finding a specialty light.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    You can buy a blacklight bulb at any hardware store, and just put it in a normal lamp - might be easier than finding a specialty light.
    Doh! Why didn't I think of that? Home Depot was right next to PetSmart and we could have just ran in there. Terry said "PetSmart isn't going to have a blacklight, you need to go to a head shop for one of those."
    Tubby
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012

I've used Simple Solution by Outright for years. They have a special formula for cat urine and spray.

I once had a dog leave a lake in the back seat of my car. I pulled the seat out and watered it with a hose. That seat took months to dry. Still stunk!
    So I poured a half gallon of Simple Solution on it and waited for it to dry.

It worked so well that the guy who bought my car never knew.

The trick is to soak all padding, all spots. It can take a couple of days for carpet to dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom

So....how do these blacklights work anyway?
    If there is fresh pee it'll glow brightly and if it's older pee it will glow dimly?

Just curious if this will help figure out if he's peeing right over my cleanup.

RE-Pee is NOT good!

Dunno if the BlackLight is going to be much help differentiating between
    Yesterday's Pee and Today's Pee ...

You'll probably do better with Covering the previous spot or "blocking" it so
    CJ can't use the area ...
    * baby gate blockade
    * plactic milk crates tied together to take up space
    * plastic tarp or drop cloth
    * scatter SOMEthing that he'll have to MOVE before he can RE-Pee in "the spot".

Hey CJ ~

Use the darn Sandy Box, please!!

/s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy