Thread: My dog was just diagnosed with epilepsy

Smile My dog was just diagnosed with epilepsy

My 9 year old lab, Sheba, was just diagnosed with epilepsy. I was just wondering if some of you have gone or are going thru this with their dog and had some tips for me. We are giving her phenobarbitol 2x a day and keeping her in during the hot part of the day.
    Dee
    Take care and God Bless

Curiousdish Guest

Yes I am quite familiar with Epilepsy in Dogs

Epilepsy is actually quite common in dogs and it wasn't until I took him to the Neurologist for confirmation of diagnosis that I realized just how many people were coming in for the Potassium Bromide for Epilepsy. And, it is apparently more common in larger breed dogs.

My Digby has Epilepsy. He is a 12 lb Long Hair Wire-Coat Chihuahua which I adopted him at 4 1/2 yrs old and he was diagnosed around age 6yrs. Phenobarbitol is quite a strong medication from what my vet told me. Right now Digby has been quite stable all these years on a medication called Potassium Bromide....quite inexpensive also. Yes I have found over the years too much heat and too much cold can trigger an epileptic seizure. I have also noticed that as little stress as possible helps tremendously - Someone caused a yelling argument with me once in front of Digby and he got upset and took a seizure in the park.

Things to be concerned with are:

If a seizure is lasting more than 20 minutes - seek medical attention immediately as this could result in permanent brain damage. My rule of thumb was if it is more than 10 minutes then I pack up and head straight for emergency vet care in the evenings or straight to my vet during the day.

During a seizure try to remain calm. Turn the lights down as bright lights may make it worse and turn off any noise - tv, radio, stereo....Some dogs may bite if you hold them because they are scared and don't know what is happening to them with the seizure. Digby bit me one of the first times I held him..... I just pat him slowly and talk very quietly telling him he's going to be ok and mommy luvs him.......positive reinforcements...... But, I always felt better after any seizure going and having him checked out with the vet either that same day or the following morning.

Epilepsy can be managed/controlled quite well. I was told by my vet that the weaker potassium bromide was better in the beginning and when required we would switch him as a last resort to the phenobarbitol......
    but, depending on the type of seizures your dog has - may require the stronger....whether petit mal or grand mal seizure.......

Digby has had this ailment for many years......and is quite controlled with only an occasional minimal shaking of his head for a few minutes.

And, my 20 minute rule of thumb.......see how bad the seizure is.....First major one Digby could only lift himself on his front two paws and had no control of his hind legs or head movements......really scared me.....so - I calculated how far my vet is..............if he is 15 minutes away and you only have 20 minutes........be prepared to grab the dog and run to the vet..... I arranged with mine that if it was within hours I would try to call but if severe then I would just show up.

If it is a major seizure sometimes they will insert by syringe (without the needle) up the dogs bum a bit of liquid valium to calm the dog over the bad part of the seizure and not stress him further. I used to dispense this myself - got pretty good at it........

If you have any other questions.......and I can be of help......I will be very happy to help you out......by what I have experienced.

And.......I AM HAPPY TO SAY that Digby is going to be a whopping 17 yrs old this September!

From what I recall my vet said years ago.........if it is a major seizure an you don't get help it can cause serious medical problems......brain damage, problem with their motor skills (walking) and bladder/bowel control.

Hope this helps a bit... I am not trying to scare you but just passing along information and personal experience.

Feel free to contact me further.
    Take care and God watch over your pooch! Licks from Digby and Scrappy.
    Christine
    Last edited by Curiousdish; 07-24-2006 at 12:43 AM. Reason: spelling mistake + afterthought

Smile

Hi Christine
    Sure was glad that you wrote. Sheba's seizure was similar to the one you described. She could hardly walk and her back legs were in bad shape. She also vomited a couple of times. Poor thing was staggering and it sure scared me. It must have scared my puppy, AllieG, also. She was barking and carrying on while trying to dig under the fence to get to her. Actually that is what alerted me that something was wrong. When i looked out, I saw her.
    The vet thinks she is having petit mal seizures and that we hadn't noticed it before. I had seen her slap her head backwards like she was looking at the sun.
    Sheba had a couple of seizures that day and again AllieG was present and started whining. She is only 3 months old so that was quite amazing to me. I told her that i knew she didn't know what she had done but she was a dear, sweet, good pup. I got sheba outside and we dealt with it. She hasn't had a seizure since then so the meds are working.
    Once again, thanks allot and God Bless you.
    Dee Council
    The mama of Sheba, Rock, Sparky, and AllieG
    Take care and God Bless

Unhappy ????

I really wish I can help but i dont know what that means

I love My Chewie!!!! My Little Chihuahua!!