Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: help...

Poor little thing. I hope it pulls through. So nice of you to rescue it. Good luck and keep us posted.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

So it's curled up. but it's stil kind of an indicator.

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    he's so tiny and cute. i have no idea!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Well, if it is a rodent, feed it puppy or kitten milk replacement. I had a baby bat for a week (long story) and I fed him every 1 hour and 45 minutes.

A heating pad is not the best. It this baby finds the right spot, it could fry. Try placing hot water bottles under a towel around him. He will get close to those, and snuggle in.

Honestly, I think it is a squirrel. The size is right and everything. I can research tonight (right now..) for you, and try to find something, and figure out if it is a squirrel.

Honestly, a vet isn't the best place to bring it. At least from my experience. They told me that my bat would die that night, and that he would give everyone rabies. They refused to give me any information. Okay, yes they aren't the people I typically go to, but it was an emergency. I called my vets from another town, and they had no clue on what to do.

EDIT: The formula brand I would suggest using is Just Born, puppy formula is what I would go with

Good luck, keep us updated!
    Steph

It's head kind of looks like a dog.
    But the rest of it. I have no clue!!!
    Ummmm haha I think this has us all stumped.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

I am positve that it is a squirrel. Please keep me posted on him!!! He is sooooooo tiny!!!!!! How is he coming along???

He's doing okay, I think. He's in a box with cotton balls, a towel, and a plastic glove with warmed up water (wrapped a towel) in it because the heating pad wasn't really going through the box. I fed some of the formula to it, it took two mouth fulls. I've been feeding it every 2-3 hours but usually it just eats the stuff that goes on it's lips cause it wont open it's mouth. It hasn't went to the bathroom yet though?

During the night, does it need to be fed that often. I'll feed it up until 2:30am when I usually go to sleep and I'll get up at 6:30 to feed again Is that alright ?

Looks like a medium size rodent, not a mouse. Most pet stores carry a milk replacer. Just born, and Esbilac come to mind. I know some of the local stores carry little emergency kits that have a pack of powdered milk, bottle, spare nipples, and a cleaner.

The warm water bottles is the best idea for something that size.

Best of luck with him! Some wildlife rescues will take in and care for small babies.

Oh My goodnes, I have NEVER attended to a baby squirrel.

have you called any Wild Life Refuges in your area.

I would tend to think that if this tiny squirrel is taking in nuriousment, ( the formula that I read on previous posts) during the day, that it would be find though the night.

you are doing the best you can, and, your thread is intriguing the day lights out of me.

Hats off to you!!!! I will do some research on this situation you are in, as well as call a person I know from a Wild Life Refuge in my area.

Prayers for that little fella!!!!

Cagneydog, you need to stimulate the bowls to go...rub, rub, rub! I found a website with some things that are good. A little discouraging on some parts, but read over those (If you'd like)
    http://www.squirrelworld.com/ifounda.html

Good luck!!! I hope everything works out with the little guy! Keep us posted, and thanks for taking him/her in!
    Steph

I'm not too sure what it looks like. But I know that baby mice and rats will have a white milk band on their belly when they are full.

Have you seen this with the baby at all?

Nope. I haven't noticed that.

Quote Originally Posted by molucass
    I'm not too sure what it looks like. But I know that baby mice and rats will have a white milk band on their belly when they are full.

Have you seen this with the baby at all?
    If I remember correctly you should be able to see the see the full "milk belly" in all most all baby animals that are hairless.

If I remember correctly baby rats start getting hair when they are about that big so I doubt it is a rat, but I can't guarantee that. My guess would be a squirrel, opossum, mink, etc...

Do you mind if I copy & x-post the pics?

I would say that the baby needs more food than that. You will probably have to force feed him by gently pushing the oral syringe in his mouth but only give a TINY amount at a time, if you push too much into him it can go into his lungs, at that age & size it would be deadly. I think he also need to eat a little more frequently, like every 1-1.5 hours.
    Also be sure to read the article on stimulation the bowels & kidneys.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

You have to make the baby pee. Get a warm wet paper towel and rub its genitle area until it pees after every feeding.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Baby oppossums are born underdeveloped, since they are marsupials. You wouldn't have been able to recognize it as a baby anything if it was a possum. It was probably newborn when you found it because it was still alive. Let it lap up the milk that goes on its lips. I know with rabbits they can't really suck at the bottle, they lap up the milk as it comes out, so maybe its the same with this guy.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton