Thread: Help with vomiting dog

Help with vomiting dog

My vet is closed so I can't call them until the morning. I'm worried about my dog and could use some advice to tide me over till then.

Friday night, my dog Lily vomited about 3 times in an hour and a half then again an hour later. Otherwise she seemed fine, but she was throwing up bile. I left out water for her so she wouldn't dehydrate. She didn't eat anything that evening/night. Now I do have to mention that morning there was an accident in the house, which isn't like her. It was diahrea. But thru the day she was fine until the vomiting started aroudn 5:30pm.

She made it through the night just fine so I hoped it has passed. But the next morning early she vomited so I read that feeding her some chicken might help. She was tired that morning but only vomited that one time, and I gave her chicken at noon and she gobbled it up, drank water, and was fine for the rest of the day and even ate some kibble. She was her old self again shortly after the chicken.

All day Sunday everything was fine, but I awoke to diahrea everywhere. I have 2 dogs so I can't be certain it was her. She was her usually happy self and my other dog acted guilty, but it's not like my other dog at all to do that.

The rest of the day things are fine until about 5. Lily hadn't really eaten much thru the day but she had some water. She vomited, there was a bit of grass in it. She vomited again really big, after she drank a bit of water 30 min or so after the first vomit of the day. She is all tired now.

She has not shown other signs like blood in vomit or stools, she doesn't appear swollen, or to have lost much weight. She doesn't appear to have a temperature. Just tired. She was just at the vet last week and didn't have worms, plus we give her heartguard monthly. They did a fecal test, I don't know if that's for worms only but it came out ok.

We are moving to the U.K. soon so I am worried even more because she has to be in good health to go with us. So that's why the tests a week or 2 ago, and she was just fine then. I haven't been giving her people food, I haven't switched her diet, it's been the same for at least a year. I don't know, she may have gotten into something in the yard, she's been known to do that, but I didn't see it and nothing is looking suspicious (no dead animal carcass, etc).

So if anyone has any advice, or if you think it's nothing too bad I'd love the reassurance. I wouldn't have worried if she hadn't vomited again. Also because of our move...and she's my baby. I'm calling the vet when they open tomorrow.

She probably just got into something.

Fast her for a couple of days -- just lots of water. If you have pediolyte, I'd give her some of that too for the electrolytes. Just no gatorade -- alot of people make the mistake of giving gatorade, but it's main ingredient is sugar which upsets the balance of intestinal flora and feeds bacteria.

When she goes back on food, try giving her boiled chicken, cottage cheese (not the creamed stuff), and canned pumpkin (not pie filling, real 100% pumpkin) for a couple of days. She should be able to keep this down well and the pumpkin will firm up her poops.

What kind of food is she eating? I've heard alot of complaints about Nutro causing dogs to puke bile. And any lower quality food can cause problems.
    I've been BOO'd!

What kind of food is she eating? I've heard alot of complaints about Nutro causing dogs to puke bile. And any lower quality food can cause problems.
    Once again, if you cannot substantiate rumors with proof, please do not post them. I'm sure she feels bad enough about the pup having these problems without having to think that she might have cause them.

Please, please get the pup to the vet tomorrow.

I know people debate about food here. I'm not going to get into her food, she doesn't eat Nutro, but she's been on the same diet for over a year with no problem.

Thank you for the advice. I been doing the fast. She's had water. I'm calling my vet to see if she should be brought in.

Sounds like

a possible obstruction in the intestine. If food gets to the upper small intestine and can't go any further, where might it go? That's right, back up. Since you are seeing what you believe is bile it isn't getting too far down. Likewise vomiting after drinking is another possible indicator. A absolute indicator is where the dog drinks, immediately throws up, and drinks, and throws up the water, and drinks...etc. Have the dog Xrayed for safety. If nothing shows up, then have the Vet test for Giardia or other intestinal parasites.