Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The ** "I HATE MY JOB" ** rant thread!

The ** "I HATE MY JOB" ** rant thread!

I cannot be the only person to HATE their job, so here is your chance to air your complaints. (If you LOVE your job, I am happy for you, but don't post it here......this is for the disgruntled, like me)

OK.................major rant about to happen.

I am a dog groomer. This is why I hate it!:

REASON #1:
    BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK,
    BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK,
    BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK.
    Nonstop for hours on end!

REASON #2:
    SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, BITE,
    SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, BITE
    SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, BITE!!!
    I get toenails raked across my skin every single day without fail. My arms look worse than if I had fought a war. I have scars that will never go away. and it HURTS!! And don't forget those pets whose answer to all their problems is to BITE you.

REASON#3:
    STRUGGLE, STRUGGLE, STRUGGLE, STRUGGLE, STRUGGLE, STRUGGLE, STRUGGLE, STRUGGLE, STRUGGLE, STRUGGLE, STRUGGLE,
    PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL, PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL, PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL,
    STRUGGLE, STRUGGLE, STRUGGLE, STRUGGLE, STRUGGLE, STRUGGLE, STRUGGLE, STRUGGLE, STRUGGLE, STRUGGLE, STRUGGLE,
    PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL, PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL, PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL,PULL,
    every second of every day I have animals struggling against what I have to do. And they pull and try to get away. Meanwhile my hand is practically falling off from the effort it takes to keep them still.

REASON#4:
    BRUSH, BRUSH, BRUSH, BRUSH, BRUSH, BRUSH, BRUSH, BRUSH, BRUSH, BRUSH, BRUSH, BRUSH, BRUSH, BRUSH,
    BRUSH, BRUSH, BRUSH, BRUSH, BRUSH, BRUSH, BRUSH, BRUSH, BRUSH, BRUSH, BRUSH, BRUSH, BRUSH, BRUSH,
    For hours straight while the muscles in your arm and shoulder want to fall off and die. Now of course, not all dogs have mats over 90% of their body or enough undercoat to fill a queen size mattress, but there are enough dogs during each week that require this typs of extensive brushing to make you cry.

REASON #5:
    Various bodily fluids constantly in need of cleaning up. Now, I don't mean the honest "accident", I mean the "It's raining outside, so I won't walk the dog before she goes to the groomer!". I mean the unneutered male who lifts his leg on literally everything including YOU! etc, etc, etc.

REASON #6:
    HURRY, HURRY, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH,
    HURRY, HURRY, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH,
    HURRY, HURRY, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH, RUSH,
    Everyone is always in a hurry to get their pet back! They never consider how hard it is working with anmals, or things like cleaning up messes or talking to customers takes up time. I literally get 5 minutes to eat lunch, IF I am that lucky. My idea of a break is using the bathroom. I leave work so utterly exhausted day after day that I can't have a life AFTER work!

I could go on and on and on, but I will end with this thought. If I had a nickel for every person who said "I'd like to be a groomer, it looks like fun" I would be rich. Better still if I had a dollar for every person who has actually TRIED the job, and then quit after 5 or LESS days because of how demanding it is, I would STILL be rich!

I feel much better now.

Same with me, I'm the kennel cleaner and the dog walker. It'd be so nice if the people in the world cared enough about their pets to have them trained and to properly care for them. Dogs should be used to getting walked and shouldn't rip your arms out. We also get dogs in with horrible nails that are almost curled and mats upon mats in their fur. We have dogs who have horrible nutrition and health problems that could have easy fixes if the people would try. We had a dog come in one day with food from home, the food was a expired bag of some dollar tree brand, nutritrial?, that was labeled as half off. It's so hard to give these dogs back to their owners.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Well, I do LOVE MY JOB but have a few complaints about it. Hate is such a strong word to me. I'd prefer to say there are days I highly dislike and think of quitting.

Reason #1: Rude customers. I work in fast food. I think Chick-fil-A is a few steps higher than fast food, but still considered fast food. We do everything for our customers and we rarely turn down a request, no matter how busy we are. We even make grilled cheese sandwhiches if someone wants one! There is no need for some people to be so rude. Just because you're driving around in your BMW and I'm working in fast food, does not mean you are better than me! Also, we may run out of product at times and it may take a while to cook. Would you rather have a nasty, old product that has been sitting in the warmer for hours? No, I didn't think so... so let us make it fresh!

I am not your mother.... clean up after yourself in our diningroom! There are trash bins for a reason, lazy ass.

I could go on about some of the rude customers.

Reason #2: Rude co-workers. There are a select few who think they are getting paid to stand around and pick their asses, while I and others run around like crazy! For the most part I have wonderful co-workers, but like I said.. the select few. Sad thing is, these people are adults. They should know better. If you're not going to work quit wasting the store's money!

Reason #3: The heat. It is so incredibly hot inside of the kitchen. You walk in and are almost instantly sweating. It is so miserable sometimes we have to walk in the freezers to cool off!

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

While reading your "rant", a common phrase came to mind.

Your name is listed underneath it, sort of like , I am proud to survive while serving the "Public".

When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Get Going!!!

You are a trooper!!!!! You see work to be done, and you do it!!!

Aside from this reply, I am well aware of your standings!!!

(3 kids) I could really let my hair down along with you in the dog grooming department.( I don't get paid) However, the fact remains , YOU CARE ENOUGH TO DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN!!!!Yes, there are those who rely on "mommy" doing it!!!! It grinds me to no end at times., seeing work to be done while others stand around with their hands in their pockets!!!!

Great issue to stew about!!! It's an old one, but a good one!!!!

I guess I'm very lucky & didn't know it. I have worked at many jobs in
    my lifetime & can honestly say I never hated any one of them.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I really don't hate my job. It's a great place to work. However, I am going through a mid-life crisis and don't know what I want to do with my life for the next 26 years (that's how long I have till I retire). I want to do something meaningful & make a difference in somebody's life. But I just don't know how. I wish I could win Powerball & become a professional phylanthropist.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

Jen I salute you! I have two dogs to groom and I only do each of them monthly but I know how physically demanding it can be. I prefer to do one dog per day, a far cry from the schedule you must maintain. The hardest part for me is bathing Bella just because of her size. Do you do all aspects of grooming or do you have people who just give the dogs baths and you do the rest? Of course when I do mine they know me and listen. I don't have to deal with barking, peeing or biting. I think so many of us would love to work with animals but we can tell from your average work day that it is not all fun but lots and lots of hard work. I am so glad you posted this because, if nothing else, it creates an awareness about how difficult your job can be. Maybe some people reading this now will increase the size of their tip the next time they take their dog to the groomer.

Jen--how long have you managed to do this? What endurance you must have.

I know many people think it would be cool to work with pets all day long. But for over a year I stood outside the grooming area at PETsMART as I volunteered for the cats. (Smart, huh? Cat Shelter next to dog grooming. )

Anyway, I was always astounded at the behavior of the dogs and their humans. Poop! Pee! More Poop! Many didn't bother to control their dogs at all.

The last time I was there, a woman was letting her dog urinate on the bottom shelf of Nature's Miracle bottles. When I alerted her to the problem, she pretended she didn't know it.

Since these dogs are so poorly behaved, I'm not surprised that your job is a nightmare!

Frankly, I would have wimped out a long time ago.

Take a deep breath and repeat after me...It's only a job It's only a job It's only a job....
    Spoiled child, bad
    Spoiled cat, good

My boss' ex-wife has decided she doesn't like me.
    She is still on the business account for whatever reason, but doesn't do a damn thing to help the business. She thinks she can come in and ask nosey questions and treat me like i'm beneath her. She lives in the house next to the business so i have to see her. she is an alcoholic and a rude and unhappy person. She'll do whatever it takes to make my life miserable b/c she gets a kick out of it. My boss won't let me go b/c he knows i do good work. It makes her really angry. He says that's why he divorced her.
    She won't let things go. He's in a much healthier relationship now, so that's good.
    Religion is a smile on a dog.

It's raining cats and dogs!!!
    SPCA HOUSTON
    HABITAT FOR HORSES
    When it's in your best interest, practice obedience.

As if I didn't have enough respect for groomers to begin with. I now have a new understanding like nothing I had before. I think alot of us actually believe that our pets are perfect angels when they go to the groomer. My hat goes off to you Jen--a thousand times. It's unbelivable what you people have to go through. You deserve a million huge pats on the back for continuing to do this job and your tips should be 50 times more than they are

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Don't ask me how to fix a bad behavior and ignore everyting I told you... then don't come back telling me it didn't work because its obvious you never even tried.

Don't ask for advice on something and totally ignore it, trying something else instead, and don't come back to me asking AGAIN for a solution that you are not willing to try, just because you either don't want to spend the time or money on the proper solution. Speaking of which, don't buy shock collars because you want a quick fix. Having a dog means you have a commitment to take care of them.... that includes dedicating time to ensuring they are properly trained. I don't buy the "I don't have time" excuse. Then why the **** did you get a dog if you didn't want to spend time with it????

Don't tell me your dog is getting PLENTY of socialization because you have another dog at home and so does your neighbor and your mom. They need more than that... then don't return to me in 6 months with saying you've had enough with your barking/growling/jumping/timid dog and expect me to fix it.

Don't miss class because you want to enjoy the nice weather... then expect me to take an hour away from someone else to make up the class one on one.

Shut your dog up during class. SOOO many people just let their dog BARK BARK BARK BARK all class long and don't even TRY to calm their dog down. I repeatedly show them HOW to stop barking and they don't even TRY. If they can't be bothered to try in class, right in front of me, how much do you think they try outside class?

Don't threaten to get rid of you dog and take class as a last ditch effort... then don't quit after one or two classes. I know you took the class to appease your guilty conscious.... to tell yourself you at least tried. You didn't. (though I DO want that 14 week old Golden... you've been threatening to give her up for weeks. I sure wish I had the money to take your sweet, loving little girl off your hands. Shame on you for giving up just because you don't like the nipping and won't do what I tell you to do... and I know you don't because you don't do it in class)

I'm only in highschool but I worked at Walgreens and let me tell you, it made me depressed again. Every task required of me was a big disaster. I had to work the buissy front register and I can't read numbers. I'd stare at the final amount due and try to come up with the words for it for a few seconds, finally mumble and spit it out, usually wrong. I'm bad with numbers, to me they are just like symbols I guess, when words are my real strong point. I also had to answer the main phone while at the only register dealing with anxious customers in line and people on the phone who didn't seem to realize I had to do all that. They'd call for the pharmacy, I'd tell them to hold while I told the pharmacy to pick up and if they didn't in about 60 seconds the'd just hang up and call again and re-explain everything in the same voice like there could really be anyone else working the phone one minute later. Some would do that 2 or 3 times in a row. If the phone malfunctioned, they would get mad at ME all while I was trying to tell the customer in front of me that the item was not on sale because this or that. This store also jackedup the prices from the suggested retail price because the place I live is more upscale. That is not fair, because I know a lot of people who most of their income goes to rent to live in this school district.
    I also at the jovb had to help people find things and put up tags on the right product, and for that I had to match a code of 7 teeny tiny numbers to the sign. It was a disaster, I quit really quickly. I HATE customer service!!
    *this is full of typos that I will fix later*
    Last edited by Suki Wingy; 07-27-2006 at 10:24 PM.

Niņo & Eliza

I don't really hate my job as a groundskeeper on a golf course, but I hate some of the weather conditions that I work in: 90 degree heat, 100% humidity, heavy rain ("that's what rain suits are for, says the boss!), sometimes snow, amy kind of weather. Also the fact that I'm 58 years old and the boss thinks I can keep up with 18 year old kids! One thing I do like about woring there. It's a private course, but most of the members treat us workers like we're regular people and don't look down on us (Longue Vue is not like the country club in Caddyshack). On that basis I like my job.

I had to laugh, Im training to be a groomer and I've been at it for 2 years now and I DEFINATLY wont be giving it up I think its a fantastic job, Although it can be very demanding and extremely hard work and I can defiantly see where you are coming from! Especially when you get the dogs scratching your arms while you are trying to cut them and the flea bites are just not nice!

Things I dont like about my job..

1. Excuses... "oh we went to the park on the way here and he got attacked by a dog." Thats the reason he hasnt been in for a year and is matted solid? must of been some dog! Seriously some people just give such stupid excuses and you have to pretend you believe them. I would much prefer someone just to come out and say I dont brush him/her so we can sort out a regular grooming or show them exactly how to do it theirselves.

2. Owners calling their dogs whilst they are on the table! " Charlie Sit down!!" aint going to work and its even more dangerous when we are trying to scissor around the face which is mainly when this happens! Another thing when we tell the owners to wait out of sight if they come back earlier and they stand right at the door when the dogs can see them..

3. One thing that really gets me.. people who blantently lie to your face and say their dog is not vicious then are too scared to move them theirself.. I have nothing against vicious dogs but I would love to have the warning BEFORE it manages to take a slice of my skin off! I would do any vicious dog because I know it is mainly nerves that get them but I will do them with a muzzle! and another thing.. when people tell you not to muzzle their dog when it need to be done. I say that you are giving me your dog to look after and I will do my best to prevent that dog getting stressed but I WILL NOT let myself get injured in the process.

4. People who dont brush their dogs. Short haired dogs yeah not as bad but long haired dogs, I just think its plain animal cruelty and then to have to cheek to ask us to brush it out of the dog! So many people dont understand that if you brush on matts on skin it WILL pull and it WILL hurt the dog, We keep records of dogs like this and it always seems to be the same people doing it over and over again even with us telling them and showing them the correct way and then they wonder why we charge extra for doing their dog.

5. People who book appointments and dont show up on time then show up a few hours later still expecting their dog to be done and when we refuse because we are busy they start hurling abuse at us as if it is our fault! We had one man calling me every name under the sun because I wouldnt do his dog, He was 4 hours overdue and we was due to close in about an hour and he brought in a huge! GSD very hairy and overdue and he had the cheek to start swearing at me because he fell asleep and missed his appointment.

Well thats just a few I must say though I love the thought of seeing dogs I like especially when you are out and about at the park and one spots you, I guess it just makes you feel special in a way! I also enjoy seeing regulars because you do bond with them and I find it alot more easier to talk to them.

Ok I love my job but I can relate as years ago I worked as a groomer to support my furkids! In defense of some of us clients (maybe cause I have been there and know how really awful some days can be?) I keep our cocker in show coat, so that means I see my groomer 3xs a month. No I am not kidding. We bring her crate so we can drop her off early (yes we know how busy they are ) and we pick her up at closing that way she can be worked on at Ginnys leisure. Goofy is a great dog on the table but she is a real Mamas girl so I am well aware that coming in if she is being worked on leads to disaster! Jumping whining trying to get to Mom. Dropping her off on her leash and letting them crate her in their crates Ginny said makes her bark and whine all day looking for me to appear. Ginny does a beautiful job and spoils her rotten so we go out of our way to make it easier for her to di that job. Goofy is always beautiful and happy to see her and I am thrilled that she means enough to her groomer to work with us and her anxiety issues. My hat is off to you ladies truly, and maybe if you presented some of the more ignorant owners with mind set of "gee your pup loves you soooooooooooo much that her excitement at seeing you makes it tough for her to finish her beauty regime?" I don't know though some ppl are plain ignorant and it may not work. ::Sends Balloons and some Ace promazine.........j/k::