Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What breeds have your dog/s been mistaken for?

What breeds have your dog/s been mistaken for?

I got this idea off of dogster.

Molli has been mistaken for a Shih Tzu. I think she looks nothing like a Shih Tzu but ok. Someone stopped me on my walk with her and asked if Molli was a male shih tzu because she was looking for a male to breed her female with.

Sammy has been mistaken for a Springer Spaniel many times. People don't know that Cockers can come in black and white with ticking.

How bout' your dogs?
    Last edited by dab_20; 07-21-2006 at 01:04 PM.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Autumn is often mistaken for a springer. That's right, a springer with an orange body and a few white spots. The other two people say are a golden retriever mix or a cocker.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Goofy is a black and white cocker with a FULL coat and she has been mistaken for a Shnoodle??

Vizslas
    Ridgebacks
    Labs (with a winter coat?!)
    Labradoodles
    Weimaraners
    Mutts

Winston:

- German Shepherd
    - Pitbull
    - Great Dane
    - Rottweiler

Morgan:

- Labrador
    - Doberman
    - Pitbull
    - Coonhound

Tia:

- Chihuahua

Tango:

- Golden Retriever
    - Golden/GSD mix (this is whatI get most often)
    - Lab

Wolves mostly!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Molly
    Rhodesian Ridgeback(not sure how though, she looks nothing like one)
    Irish Setter
    Lab

Astra
    A wolf
    Alaskan Malamute
    American Eskimo

Prince
    Rat Terrier

I'm having a brain fart right now so I probably missed some...
    Sparrabeth- Never say we Die!

No matter what Ted and Terry wrote, Jack and Liz love each other.

Malakai: Giant Lab (all the time!), pointer, greyhound, pit bull, English Mastiff, GOLDEN RETRIEVER!! (Lmao it was only one time but i still cant get over it, last time i checked he was black, not golden! )..Most people have no clue he is a dane..why? "because his ears aint' pointy and he isnt tan with a black face" yes i get told this all the time, ive given up arguing with people about it though, i just smile and walk away. Most people have a set image of what a dane is "supposed" to look like in their ignorent little heads, they are not born with cropped ears and they certainly are not all fawn colored!! ..*sighs* some people

Chloe: she gets called a big beagle and Basset hound..most people around me have NO clue what a treeing walker hound is, and certainly not a red tick..i remember arguing with this lady once, she swore chloe was a basset, oh and she KNEW she had raised beagle for 40 years

No one can be sure what breeds Niņo is but I've heard some way out ones like
    "He's a pure bred Dalmatian, right?"

TOTALLY different conformation!

Niņo & Eliza

Spunky was mistaken for a cat at the airports.

I've been asked if Visa is mixed with these, or is a purebred one of these:

Wolf
    Lab
    Flatcoat
    Border collie
    German shepherd
    Chow
    Collie
    I've been BOO'd!

most people know Happy is a BC, I just had one person ask if she was a greyhound puppy lol most people justthink she is too skinny cuz of her build, she could be obese and appear underweight lol

Misty, has been mistaken for a pit bull mix(because of her head, the colouring makes it appear rather broad), GSD mix(her smooth coat) and a ACD mix(because a BC cant possably have ears like that! lol) but most of the time is just "look at the pretty little puppy!" ..she's 3 lol thankfully most people are willing to listen when I educate them about smooth coat BCs, but there are certain people that inisist she is a mutt, despite my telling them, she she is from a breeder, I have met the parents and I have papers from the breeder stating that she is a purbred BC lol

Ripley.. everyone tries to guess his breeds, its funny lol everyone knows the schipperkie part, but the bosten terrier, most people either guess as bosten terrier or french bulldog(because his ears are rounded) but both is breeds are pretty clear, the schip is just obvious to anyone, the bosten is obvious by the way he stands.

Perky..well WE dont even know for sure what she is lol we have had guesses from everything from borderjack to corgi mix, but a LOT of people think she is a border collie! some kids who saw her doing freestyle thought she was the dog they had to give up, but when my mom sent pics to the kids mom, it turnes out their dog was a border collie, I posted her pics on a BC board and people thought she was my 3rd BC lol and my friends little sister was like "well you have 3 BCs!" somedays I wonder is she is part BC lol at the same time we sent pics of her too the president of the JRTA who detremined she was a dencent quality pure bred JRT.

Blair is a mutt or a terrier, 99% of the most dog savvy people on earth have never heard of a pyrshep so thats to be expected lol
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Perky looks like a good quality purebred jack to me too. You may not be used to seeing them in b+w but what if you turned the black into brown. Everybody would know what she is then.
    Observe
    Last edited by IRescue452; 07-21-2006 at 09:40 PM.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I guess I shlould shame Rusty the amazing felon (purebred dobie) as well as his fursis, I have had a lot of ppl ask if he is a hound mix of some type(he has natural ears and is a red) and if he is a vizla cross

Everyone recognizes that mine are poodles, but I had to smile the other day when I had a workman in my home. He saw Bella and said "I see you have a full size poodle." That sort of reminded me of a car - full sized, compact, sporty.... I guess Ripley must be a compact model.