Thread: what does it mean when a cat snorts...

what does it mean when a cat snorts...

I am a little concerned for one of my cats Ella, she was fine all day sleeping inside on the couch, as it was raining here and all the cats were happy sleeping inside, then she did this big yawn and snort, at first i just laughed as i had never heard a kitty do that before, anyhow she was fine until this evening, she started snorting all the time until she fell asleep again and stopped, is she ill? does it mean she has a cold or what, or something stuck in her nose, i have no experience with this and so i am hoping someone here can give me some advice, she is eating and drinking normally and seems ok otherwise, but she has never done this before, should i be concerned?
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I have heard mine do that from time to time and I think it is because they have something in their nose. I am alway pulling small wads of fur out of Amy's nose.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Carole,

Since she's eating, playing and pottying normally, I'd keep an eye on her. As long as she doesn't start sneezing, getting gooey eyes and major congestion, it could be nothing.

If for some reason she starts getting symptoms of a URI, (including a temp of between 102-104) I'd take her in for a check up with the vet.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Chuck does it all the time. He has allergies and was doing it last night. Sneezing too. I wish sometimes I could get him to blow his nose in a tissue! LOL

Sometimes he if he is meowing in rapid sucession, he will snort.

~Aki
    "The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched - they must be felt with the heart." ~~ Helen Keller
    ------------------------------------------------
    Chuck (rb) meowmie misses you!

------------------------------------------------

thanks kittycats_delights for the sig!

I wouldnt worry about it, as he could have a bit of dust, or fur in his nose.
    Moose The Magnificent snorts all the time.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Halo snorts too. She has asthma but she is basically healthy.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Thanks for the re-assurance folks, actually this morning she is fine no snorts at all, so i guess she must have had something up her nose or could be allergies, silly me for panicking, but what i don't need right now is another vet bill,between dentists and vets we are stoney broke,ah well all is well so far ,so fingers crossed that is all it was.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

What kind of cat is she? If she is a breed with a fairly flat face it's perfectly normal. Zsa-Zsa used to do it all the time.

Zimbabwe 07/13

No she is just a moggie as we call them here, no specific breed, and she has not got a squashed face at all quite the opposite, she is ok now thats the main thing, glad i came here to ask as i have never heard a cat do that before,but then Ella is an unusual kitty in some ways,has very different vocal sounds that none of my other kitties make, when you pick her up you would think she is in pain as she kinda squeals, but rest assured she is not , has always done that from day one.
    Furangels only lent.

I don't think its anything to worry about. Snowball does his snort routine everytime he wakes up from a sleep and/or yawns and he's been doing it for years. One of these days I'll have to try and get a video of it.

Brian
    Ontario, Canada