Thread: Oscar - good news and something worries me

Oscar - good news and something worries me

Poor Oscar has been on meds for a month...he had his last urine sample taken Friday. We had decided to send it into the city for a culture, in case it was needed.

The vet is a regular there, but taking over for another vet on holiday. He brought out the sample to show me, and it was easy to tell there was blood in it.

I called today (Monday) and found out that YAY! the infection is all gone, so no more pills and the culture won't be done.

The vet is sick today and will talk to me tomorrow. The tech did say that the bladder can remain inflamed even without bacteria.

I am giving him bits of cranberry powder in some plaing yogurt.

But I am panicking about kidney problems!!! Did your cat have a UTI and then have some blood in the urine for a while?

Oscar is happy, eating, playing, purring - feeling great! He is about 4 1/2 - 5 years old.

Would really love input on this, even if some of the news is not good.

Thanks!

Catty1

"Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Sorry I can't help much, but I do seem to remember some kitties here having blood in the urine even without infection. Did the vet check for crystals?

The only experience I have is with Peanut's bladder tumor. I knew within 3 days that her problem wasn't a urinary tract infection because there were bright red spots in her urine, not just a general redness to the urine. I took her back to the vet, he did an ultrasound and sure enough, he discovered her tumor. To be sure, you could ask your vet to do an ultrasound too.

Sure hope it's nothing serious and Oscar is completely healthy in no time!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Hi, T & P's Mom!

Oscar did have a few crystals at the beginning; the vet said in a "middle aged cat" (my BABY! how DARE he! ) the crystals can set up a good inflammation.

The crystals did disappear in the first week, because of the food change (Royal Canin SO). However, when he was retested over a week ago, 1/2 the bacteria were still there (and maybe a couple of crystals too - can't recall).

The urine sample was generally red...but that might be normal after an infection has just cleared up?

I'll talk to the vet tomorrow and see what he says.

Finger crossed for Ossiker!

AKA Oskafur!

thanks

Catty1

Sweet Oscar!

I'm sorry to hear that your Oscar is not quite allright and I can easily understand that you are worried. He is a gorgeous boy! "Middle aged"!!! My word! Hrmff!! In my view an indoor cat is not to be considered "middle aged" until the age of 8 or 10 - well, not in 2006 with modern medicine and everything!!

As for the UTI problems I don't know much about it (yet?!) but I think many PT'ers do...

Good luck Ossiker!!

Lots of love,
    Sus and Bella
    Sus

Be sure to post a update soon as you hear something. I hope he gets better soon so Mom can stop worrying.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Vet said it is an "interstitial" or "idiopathic" cystitis, OFTEN seen in "middle aged cats" lol after a real infection.

The vet and I discussed stress...and though Oscar is pretty mellow, he can spook easily. The vet is with me on using Feliway instead of a tranny (which I am glad).

He said to continue with the cranberry - and that this type of cystitis may flare up once in a while.

Wonder if I should change litter in about a month to see if there is still blood in the urine?

Thank you all who responded...just a MIDLIFE kitty thing!

hugs
    Catty1