Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pit Bull Tale

Pit Bull Tale

Hi all,
    This is just a story about a close encounter that I thought I'd share. Enjoy.

On a lovely day in May Baley (my big, black Greyhound) and I went to the park for a nice long walk. We were far back on the trail and hadn't seen anyone for a good twenty minutes. At the intersection of two trails in front of us was a *big*, unleashed, unaccompanied, Pit Bull.

Now, I'm sure you've heard of Pit Bulls. They are fighting dogs and they tend to hate other male dogs. I thought: "@#$%!" I mean, really, what am I going to do if this dog decides to attack us? No Greyhound (and certainly not Baley) would ever win a fight with a Pit Bull. Now a Pit probably couldn't kill me, however, I was in definite fear of a few holes and a rabies shot or two. But Baley was in real trouble.

So the Pit Bull comes running full speed at us. I put Baley between me and the Pit and put my knee up (Pits often jump up when they go to attack so the best thing to do is knee them in the chest when they come at you to knock the wind out of them, of course it just buys some time and pisses them off). The Pit screeches to a halt and starts wagging his white tipped tail.

To my utmost surprise he was friendly! Thank all the Gods, because there was seriously no way I could have won a fight with a 60 pound Pit. So, now what? Well, the dog starts to follow us. He and Baley seem to really get along. The run around peeing on thing and smelling each other all over. And I mean *all* over. Dogs.

Then it comes time to turn around and go home. Well, I can't leave such a sweet pup in the woods. I was sure that he'd eventually find his way to the near by highway and: Smack! But at the same time I couldn't grab his collar (which did have tags) because if it is one thing that will get a Pit to snap at you it is going for his neck. They hate that.

Well when we turn around I tell the Pit to "come" out of pure optimism. And it worked! He turns around and runs at me, jumps up, and receives a knee to the chest. He didn't seem to mind, afterwards I realized that he wasn't attacking, he was just pleased to be asked along for the ride. Still, what I wouldn't have given to have a rabies stick with me (the sticks with the loops at the end to catch dangerous animals, I've actually never used one, I just dive in there. That's why I get bit). When we got to my car he jumped right in.

So I took Bubba (I got a look at the tags) to the local animal shelter. We pulled into the parking lot and he started to whine. I got the feeling that he'd been there before. I was right, he'd been found by someone else just seven days before and picked up by the owner. Now he'd gotten away from him, again.

Unfortunately the number on the collar and the one the guy had given (same number) was disconnected. So Lord only knows what is going on with the owner. Very strange. It the guy wanted to dump the dog don't you think he would have taken the collar off?

Anyway, I'm sure if the original owner doesn't come forward that they'll find him a home. He has to be the sweetest Pit Bull ever born.

Lucky me.

Cheers,
    Tigeress
    No matter what happens at least my pets still love me.

Make a fast friend -Adopt a Greyound!!

Thanks for shareing.
    Thius goes to show.. never judge a book by its cover. Pit Bulls are my favorite breed...
    Last edited by Kfamr; 05-19-2002 at 12:59 AM.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Aw.. wow, sweet story - Rachel
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Well I don't like to run into *any* unleashed dogs anywhere, especially if I'm walking my dogs. I know Reggie tends to make other dogs aggressive, so I always end up having to pick him up and hurry off (which he is a big schnauzer and kicks like a rabbit). It's hard to know if the dog is friendly or not. But you really cant judge the dog as mean just because it's a pit bull. Actually every pit I have met has been friendly. I wish some breeds didn't have such a bad reputation. It is the owner that creates a mean dog! Anyway, I hope that the owner comes and picks him up...and did not abandon the poor dog.

I hope Bubba finda a good home, where someone will keep an eye on him!!!

Isn't sad that society has turned a beautiful breed of dog into one that is feared upon sight? Thankfully there are a lot of wonderfull Pits out there that may help change this!

That's such a moving story, I mean really! Everyone gives them such a bad rap, that your scared to death of them. I'm so glad he was an exception, and you didn't end up getting hurt! I hope he finds a good home, if his owner doesn't come back that is.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

It is a shame that many breeds have been created with the sole purpose to fight. Pit Bulls, Chow Chow, Akita, all of them orgianly bred to die in bloody fights. People are sick. They estimate that 40,000 people in America breed and fight dogs today. Of course they are aressted if found, but they still do it. Sigh.

Thank you all for your responses. You're right, you can't judge a book by it's cover. But in this world you can't trust everything you read either.

We have a Pit Bull Resuce Socity right here in town they assured me that if the owner wasn't back in two days (and this time they are going to do a house inspection before they give him back) that Bubba will be going to the Resuce Socity and be given a special home with people who can properly care for Pits.

Cheers,
    Tigeress
    No matter what happens at least my pets still love me.

Make a fast friend -Adopt a Greyound!!

It's nice to know that your city has a pit rescue. Fort Wayne doesn't and any unclaimed Pit at the shelter goes down after 3 days...it makes me sick that the breed has been stereotyped so badly. They don't care if it's friendly or not...I REALLY hate that policy and have let them know over and over again how I feel. I'm glad Bubba will have a second chance of a good life.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Originally posted by Kfamr
    Thius goes to show.. never judge a book by its cover. Pit Bulls are my favorite breed... [/B]
    Me too! That was a wonderful story!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Yes lucky you is right Tigeress. I know there are some good and bad Pit Bulls out there. Unfortunately i have encountered the bad ones. That is why i fear them.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Re: Pit Bull Tale

Originally posted by Tigeress
    . Now a Pit probably couldn't kill me
    I'm glad your story had a happy ending but please don't assume that a Pit probably couldn't kill you. We had an incident not too far from where I live where a Pit did just that to someone who stopped by the house where the Pit lived. The guy bled to death.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Kaitlyn (the human)

Kaitlyn (the human)

I love Peanut!! I much prefer natural ears to cropped. Even with our 2 not so wonderful experiences with Pits, I still contend that they are great dogs! They are rated in the top 10 best breeds to have with kids.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Sorry, messed that one up!

"Nico"

"Sandi"

"Cocoa"

Kaitlyn (the human)