Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Beau's vet appointment...not good news..Updated again--better news!

I'm sorry to hear that Beau is not feeling well but I think with your plan of action he will be very happy.

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

My new vet just called again--new in a couple ways--literally she looks like she just graduated from high school and she's just started working for my regular vet(he's away on paternity leave, the proud daddy of a baby girl born last week!). Dr. Lise may be very young, but she seems to know her stuff!

She called me at work this morning and said she'd been thinking about Beau's liver numbers and what would cause them to be so high. She thinks hyperthyroidism is a possiblity. The thought occured to me last night too! Fortunately, she took enough blood last week that Beau doesn't have to go back for another appointment. Part of me hopes that it is hyperthyroidism. At least I can treat that with medication(Radiation therapy isn't available here). Will update again when she gets me the test results.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I'm so glad that Beau is with you now and enjoying a wonderfully comfortable life; I hate to think of him wandering alone when he's feeling so rotten. He looks like a handsome and cuddlesome cat, one who likes to tuck himself against you when you lie down.

Sometimes liver values can be high due to an infection, at least that's what happened to one of my elderly cats. After antibiotic treatment, they went back to normal. I don't really want to say this, but hyperthyroidism and renal failure can be a difficult combination to treat. I went through this last year with my very special Artful Dodger (who also had heart problems). Hyperthyroidism actually forces more blood through the kidneys and so makes them work more efficiently and keeps the values closer to normal. When you treat the hyperthyroidism, you can increase the renal failure. However, since Beau still has "within normal range" kidney function values, the hyperthyroidism treatment may make them go up only a little - and extra sub-q fluids should help there. Hoping for the best for you both.

I am so sorry to hear that Beau has not been feeling well lately... but it sounds like "the plan" is a great one for everyone! Beau's face is so very kissable! I could just smooch on it all day! What a cutie patootie! Give him a kissie from me, and Tabitha, Sasha, and I are sending lots of prayers your way from Indiana.

Beau is hyperthyroid! My vet just called to confirm his test results. A normal result is around 35. Beau's t4 level is at 51!

I know it's still not great news. He's still ancient and sick, but I can treat this--just a pill every day! I'm so happy that I can do something! That he has a chance to get better! I will be picking up his medication later today. He'll go back in a couple weeks for a progress exam.

Thank you all so much for all your support! Beau and I both appreciate it very much!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I am SO glad it is something treatable! Like you said, of course, he is still old, but hey! this could help him have so much more time with you than you thought. Hugs to Beau!

That's great news that you can help him with one pill a day.Prayers still coming Beau's way for a longer life filled with love with you.

Thank You Kim for this wonderful siggy

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power ,the world will know peace" jimi hendrix

So happy to hear this news! Now Beau, be a good boy, and take your medicine when Meowmie gives it to you. No spitting it back out at her. It is to help you feel better!

What great news!

That is good news, that it's something treatable.

From Decker with Love

Sorry I'm so late with this post, best wishes goes out to Beau, and you for being a great cat-mom!

Fluffy, our senior is also going through pretty much the same problem, and let me tell you, a month after his sub-q's started, he is back to his same ole self!
    He even has started to put a few ounces back on (we are working up to a full pound!) Hopefully you will notice a quick turn a round in Beau, from what I have been told, they can live for many years this way

All fingers & paws are crossed over here for you! Get well Beau!
    Bunny & Kitties:

Taz - F (7); Majerle - M (4) & Loki - M (8 months)
    (pronounced: Marley).

Ya hoo!!! Some good news for dear, sweet Beau and his loving meowmie. I'm glad your new, young vet kept him in her thoughts. Give that sweet boy a big, gentle hug!!
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Finnigan hopes Beau will take his pill and get well, he doesn't like to see his Canadian cousin so ill.

Where theres life, theres hope.
    When I took in poor Smokey, it was thought taht he would last 6 months, he lasted almost 7 years.
    We wish you the best of luck with Beau.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

YA HOOOOOoooooooo! I am happy dancing now!! WAY to GO BEAU!!! May you turn around and be back to normal very soon!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Oh Happy Days!!! How wonderful that the new vet took the initiative to do some further testing.

Well Beau, it's up to you now dude ... take your meds like a good boy and let's hope it makes you feel better

Betty
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu