Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Beau's vet appointment...not good news..Updated again--better news!

Beau's vet appointment...not good news..Updated again--better news!

I took Beau to the vet today as I was concerned about him. He seems to have lost a noticeable amount of weight in a very short time. He doesn't eat much and he drinks alot! I thought I was prepared for not great news, but Beau is worse shape than I expected.

His kidneys are extremely small and the vet thinks they aren't functioning much at all. He weighs a mere 7.5 pounds! She took some blood and urine today. He got some fluids as he was a bit dehydrated today. She'll have the results on Monday. I have another appointment for one of the dogs then so I'll get the results then. The vet is already talking about admitting him next week and pumping IV fluids into him for a few days. I'd much rather do sub-q fluids at home. We'll decide on Monday after seeing the test results and how he does over the weekend on which way to proceed.

He also has a broken canine tooth, (just the tip is missing) which explains why he doesn't like to eat kibble. I bought every kind of canned renal diet food they had at the clinic. He's not a big fan of the Medi-Cal kind I already have at home for him. Maybe he'll like one of these ones more.

I'm a little suprised by my reaction. I am much more angry than sad. I had a little cry at the clinic while the vet was getting the blood sample. Now I just feel like kicking something! Just doesn't seem fair. He just got here! He's such a nice, laid back cat. I wish I'd taken my camera to the clinic. When I let him out of his carrier, Beau sprawled across the exam table like he owned the place! Never seen a cat so relaxed at the vet! He was even purring and making biscuits!
    Last edited by Glacier; 07-18-2006 at 03:21 PM.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Thats always a terrifying time when your Vet comes out with a sad face, and says I have some bad news about your Cat.
    You feel guilty, at least I did, and felt like a Bad Cat Dad.
    We are praying hard for Beau, and if he has to stay at the Vets, there will be Guardian Pets 24/7.
    Please get better Beau, there have been too many new Angels this month.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Sorry to hear this news.. I will remember to say a prayer for him tonight. Hope he gets to feeling better.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

<picks up Prayer Line> <dials God>

Hi God ~

Need sum Help Up North fur Beau Kat - anna {{{God's Hug}}} for Momma Glacier!

Please let Beau *like* wunna the new foods an want to EAT more.

We'll be Krossin Klawz & Pawz an sendin Purrayers fur Beau!

Thanks, God!

/s/ the KAT anna Prayer Pups
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Oh, I hope the wet food and sub-Q fluids at home make all the difference for Beau!

He is a gorgeous special boy...and SO loved, I am sure that will carry him a long way.

HUGS HUGS HUGS and prayers to you and Baby Beau!

Catty1
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Hugs to you and to Beau. I understand how you must feel - life is so not fair. This sweet little guy has finally landed a great home and should have nothing but glorious days to look forward to.

I hope Beau rallies with the new food and can be as comfortable as possible. There is consolation in knowing that he will be cared for and can live out his life with dignity. Thank you so much for being the person that you are and making this possible for Beau.

Betty

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.
    ((( hugs )))
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

I have LES! Beau, I sure hope you can hold your own for a while with some supportive care. You deserve all the quality of life that you have left.

Fingers and claws crossed here that Beau is going to be ok for a long time yet.

Thank you all for your kind words and support for Beau. I've shed some tears, kicked a few rocks around the yard and yelled a few trees--trees are good for that! Then I drove back to town and bought every flavor of baby food I thought might be vaguely appealing to a cat, a case of Fancy Feast fish flavors, some catsip milk, and some Pepcid AC. I'll find something he'll eat this weekend! He can have all the deli ham and cheesey noodles he wants too!

When his test results come in, if the vet recommends it, I will let him stay at the clinic for a few days to get fully hydrated again. I've done lots of sub-q fluids on Paxil(a dog with chronic pancreatitis). I can do them on Beau too.

I knew when I adopted him that I wouldn't get years and years with him. That is the problem with adopting seniors, but I'm not settling for six weeks. As long as he's comfortable and happy, as he is right now purring on my lap while I type, I'll do whatever it takes to keep him that way! When the time comes and he has to go, he will leave this life knowing nothing but love.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Oh, sweet Beau, I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you and praying that all will be better. NOT FAIR!

Doesn't it make you angry and sad at the same time to hear something like that? Beau is supposed to be happy, healthy, and ready to start on the rest of his 9 lives.

And, wouldn't you know that Beau would act like such the gentleman even at the vet's?

Please give him some gentle scritches from me (and HUGS to you).
    Loving meowmie to Archy & Binky (RIP my sweet boy 10/13/10)

=^..^=

I

Oh noooooo Beau, I just fell in love with your sweet old face when I saw you, you have to get better. You're an old fighter and have to get through your rough sick patch. Try and eat the food that you're given, you have to stay longer in your new home for your mum's sake and so we can see lots of new photos of that old sweet handsome face of yours.
    Paws and fingers crossed you get better soon...we are thinking of you old guy.
    Love Kate , Jack & Sunny

Oh no, poor Beau!!!

I'll keep you in my thoughts and hope the sub-q-fluids will help him to recover.

Please get better!

Kirsten

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier
    Thank you all for your kind words and support for Beau. I've shed some tears, kicked a few rocks around the yard and yelled a few trees--trees are good for that! Then I drove back to town and bought every flavor of baby food I thought might be vaguely appealing to a cat, a case of Fancy Feast fish flavors, some catsip milk, and some Pepcid AC. I'll find something he'll eat this weekend! He can have all the deli ham and cheesey noodles he wants too!

As long as he's comfortable and happy, as he is right now purring on my lap while I type, I'll do whatever it takes to keep him that way! When the time comes and he has to go, he will leave this life knowing nothing but love.
    Tamara,

You are the best meowmie Beau could ever have hoped for and he knows it. Lots of prayers and gentle hugs coming your way. Let's get that baby feeling better.

Betty

With all that love and care that Beau is receiving from you I can't see how he could not get better. Hugs to you both, prayers too.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21