Thread: Can dogs see 2d?

Can dogs see 2d?

Can dogs see 2-dimensional? (sp?) I have heard they can't. How come they react to their reflection in the mirror? Isn't that two dimensional? Sorry, I've just been wondering that lately.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I'm not sure either. I think I asked the vet once, but don't remember his answer. I have friends whose dogs sit and stare at themselves in the mirror and even sit in front of the TV like they're watching it. I think they see motion. I'm still wondering if they see in color. I know Cody went nuts with the color red. If I tell Logan to get her green fish and not the yellow, she'll get the green. Hmmmm.

I've been Boooo'd!

I'm quite sure they can.
    My dog Snowy saw a poster of a cat at the vet one day and she was barking mad. She must have thaught that was a real cat staring at her

thanks k9krazee for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by K9karen
    I'm still wondering if they see in color. I know Cody went nuts with the color red. If I tell Logan to get her green fish and not the yellow, she'll get the green. Hmmmm.
    They see color but it is not vibrant. All of the colors appear pastel.

i belive i read somewhere that the color green stands out to them the most?..or maybe that was cats? i really dont know...my 2 watch TV, its actually sort or creepy, i was watching the dog show a while back and chloe was chewing on her bone and then stopped, looked up at the T.V , and watched the Bull Terrier being judged lmao she watched it for about 10min..Malakai watches animal cops with me, i think he reacts more to the sounds though, he'll sit right by me and cock his head at all the sounds

(O.T.. This is my 444th post! lol that a lot i havent even been here a month yet certified major yapper! )

Sierra once jumped up at the TV watching a pack of coyotes chasing a prairie dog!
    She watches Animal Planet all the time!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Teddy watches TV all the time

His favourite thing to watch is a Dog Show. He also watches hockey sometimes but most of the time it gets his attention because of a noise he hears.

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

Of course dogs can see 2d - in fact 3d, or they'd never be able to negotiate their way in our three-dimensional world!

If a dog could not see 2-d, they would have one heck of a time navigating if all the could see was either the length or width of an object.

Ok, thanks for the replies. I've been wondering that for awhile! I suppose it makes sense that they have to be able to see 2d.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I took the question just the opposite way from Karen and Lady's Human. My understanding was that you obviously knew that dogs could see in three dimensions but you were asking about their ability to discern the length width and/or actual essence of the object in less than three dimensions. Was that your question? I am not sure how well they see two dimensional objects that are not moving (as in on the screen or in the mirror). I think they have the ability to see it (like the shadow of a chair on the wall), but absolutely no understanding of what the actual shape is or that it is not actually part of the three dimensional object it is a part of. Did that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger's Mom
    I took the question just the opposite way from Karen and Lady's Human. My understanding was that you obviously knew that dogs could see in three dimensions but you were asking about their ability to discern the length width and/or actual essence of the object in less than three dimensions. Was that your question? I am not sure how well they see two dimensional objects that are not moving (as in on the screen or in the mirror). I think they have the ability to see it (like the shadow of a chair on the wall), but absolutely no understanding of what the actual shape is or that it is not actually part of the three dimensional object it is a part of. Did that make sense?
    Yep, it did. And it pretty much answered my question. Thanks.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*