Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sarah's getting rid of Max :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Kfamr
    How stupid. Shedding is the MOST idiotic thing to get rid of a dog for. DUH, it's a dog. They're bodies are covered with fur, as are our's with skin - we shed A LOT too!

You can easily reduce pet dander and allergies, with many solutions.

Frequent bathing, allergy medicine, a better diet = less shedding, etc. There are far many more solutions than simply giving up a dog and getting another. How is getting a different dog going to solve the problem? It's not.

Please tell her family to actually think about this before exchanging their family companion.
    I will. She's coming over today and I'll be sure to show her this thread.

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    I hope Max goes or stays where he's loved and deserved.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by Kfamr
    How stupid. Shedding is the MOST idiotic thing to get rid of a dog for. DUH, it's a dog. They're bodies are covered with fur, as are our's with skin - we shed A LOT too!

You can easily reduce pet dander and allergies, with many solutions.

Frequent bathing, allergy medicine, a better diet = less shedding, etc. There are far many more solutions than simply giving up a dog and getting another. How is getting a different dog going to solve the problem? It's not.

Please tell her family to actually think about this before exchanging their family companion.
    Kay is completely correct. All dogs, regardless of breed, shed or give off dander. It's not fair to get rid of a dog just because someone in the family has allergy problems. They're are many things including medication,shots,ect. to help reduce allergies. Hopefully, this will convince them not to get rid of Max.

Kay, you're right, but I'm not the one who makes the choices in my house, you know. My dad's the one who decided it...

Well I don't think you should get another dog if you can't keep Max. But that's just my opinion. WHat guarantee is there that the new dog won't cause allergies. They aren't toys. I really think you should try to explain it to your mother that if you can't find a way to keep max that you don't want to get any other dogs because it's not fair to the dogs. I realize you don't make decisions, but you can contribute your ideas to the situtation as best as possible. If there is still nothing you can do to help convince them, since I know how parents can be, then I would tell them you are sorry but you think it's the wrong thing to do to get another dog and you don't want to take part in it. I'm not saying this to try to upset you, but since you don't make the decisions, you can only do what you can do, but I think that would be a good step and may even make them think harder about it.
    Last edited by Vela; 07-13-2006 at 03:36 PM.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

I remember being your age and having little to no say on pet related issues, so, you probably couldn't convince your dad to keep Max even if you showed him this thread and talked to him (I'd still show him the thread, though, it can't hurt). I know we had to rehome a cat when I was young, and, I had nothing to do in that decision making process. (although, being an adult now, and, hind sight being what it is, it was the best decision in our situation at the time) I will say that I agree with Vela in telling your parents that if they're going to get rid of Max, that they shouldn't get another dog. They may take that thought into consideration as it shows maturity on your part. Good luck, no matter what happens.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

THANK YOU Kari, FINALLY someone understands!

Quote Originally Posted by WarahGirl1995
    THANK YOU Kari, FINALLY someone understands!

Try not to take people maybe disagreeing with the decision or giving you a little crap about it as not understanding. Just because someone disagrees with you or gives you a little crap doesn't necessarily mean that they don't empathize. But, on the other hand, some people have (or had) a lot of say and a lot of pull in their family's decision making processes. No matter how young they are (or were). It just wasn't that way in my house. I could debate and research and argue and talk til I was blue in the face, it was never my decision on anything that had to do with getting a pet or keeping one. I had no choice in how my pets were cared for or anything like that. My pets were taken care of, but, not like they are now that I make the decisions. anyway, people just get passionate about this kind of thing and forget sometimes to show a little compassion for the person (or people) involved in amongst the "tough love." I'm sure most of the comments are made because the people genuinely care! I just hope Max is taken care of, wherever he goes.

Quote Originally Posted by finn's mom
    Try not to take people maybe disagreeing with the decision or giving you a little crap about it as not understanding. Just because someone disagrees with you or gives you a little crap doesn't necessarily mean that they don't empathize. But, on the other hand, some people have (or had) a lot of say and a lot of pull in their family's decision making processes. No matter how young they are (or were). It just wasn't that way in my house. I could debate and research and argue and talk til I was blue in the face, it was never my decision on anything that had to do with getting a pet or keeping one. I had no choice in how my pets were cared for or anything like that. My pets were taken care of, but, not like they are now that I make the decisions. anyway, people just get passionate about this kind of thing and forget sometimes to show a little compassion for the person (or people) involved in amongst the "tough love." I'm sure most of the comments are made because the people genuinely care! I just hope Max is taken care of, wherever he goes.
    i wish more PTers looked at it like this!
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by lute
    i wish more PTers looked at it like this!
    Well, people's upbringings, lives, and, situations are all so different, they are going to view certain decisions or situations a certain way. One thing I've learned (and, I've probably said this already in Pet Talk somewhere) is that you can't control what others say or do, but, you can control how you react to them. I was just trying to empathize somewhat. This is just one of those threads that can very easily turn ugly, and, I like to try to put some positivity out there. I mean, I think it's a crappy reason to rehome a pet, too, but, it's not Sarah's decision. I probably wouldn't bite my tongue if I could speak directly to her dad, though.

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom
    Sounds like maybe they shouldn't get another dog if they are getting rid of a dog for shedding.
    My thoughts exactly.

Why not try regular trips to the groomers? they have tools to get most of the dead coat out so that it wouldnt be as bad, I've heard about the furminator in USA maybe try that? if its a last resort even having the hair shaved right down? Poor boy..

Well, people's upbringings, lives, and, situations are all so different, they are going to view certain decisions or situations a certain way. One thing I've learned (and, I've probably said this already in Pet Talk somewhere) is that you can't control what others say or do, but, you can control how you react to them. I was just trying to empathize somewhat. This is just one of those threads that can very easily turn ugly, and, I like to try to put some positivity out there. I mean, I think it's a crappy reason to rehome a pet, too, but, it's not Sarah's decision. I probably wouldn't bite my tongue if I could speak directly to her dad, though.
    maybe enough positivity will make all the negative go away!
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by lute
    maybe enough positivity will make all the negative go away!
    It's a process called opposition thinking. It's worked for me. I don't know about making **all** the negativity go away, but, I've surrounded myself with people willing to at least try!

I agree with Kari!!

Kari, you always know what to say. I agree with you *partly*. I know she is 13-15 years of and has limitations on decisions made in her parents house BUT I think Sarah should at least attempt to tell her parents about the many medications, shots, ect out there that can control dog shedding and allergies. Trust me, Sarah, I have been in your situation, many a time, about pets and strays and other things. Sadly, limitations had to overule that.