Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sarah's getting rid of Max :-(

Sarah's getting rid of Max :-(

Sarah (WarahGirl1995) has to get rid of one of her boys, the GSD, Max because he apparently sheds too much, and since he sheds so much, her dad (allergic to dogs) keeps sneezing, he never had problems with Rupert before, just when Max came. Sarah's devistated she has to get rid of her dog, and her mom wants her to find the next one. Sarah wants my help. They want a dog that doesn't shed as much and will play with their other dog, Rupert. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by zoomer; 07-13-2006 at 01:40 PM.

Hair is not what people are allergic to. Dander is the problem. Heavy shedders can be fine for people with allergies. I suggest they try the dog on a different diet and maybe try a new dog shampoo before getting rid of the dog.

No specific breed is good for people with allergies. All people are different. I am fine around almost all dogs, but around shepherds and huskies I sneeze a lot. If they want a dog then he should ask to spend time with that breed or that dog to see if his allergies act up. Even individual dogs of a breed can cause different reactions. A poodle (supposedly a low allergy breed) fed a cheap brand of food might make him sneeze up a storm while another poodle fed a quality diet won't cause any reactions.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Isn't she already getting another dog?

Quote Originally Posted by luvofallhorses

I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

why get another dog if he's allergic?? every dogs sheds.. all of my dogs shed even though their coat isn't that thick..Jenny's is the thickest. I am not trying to be rude at all.

ETA : I am allergic to dogs and cats (not that severe) but I get allergy shots and it helps. I'd rather get allergy shots the rest of my life rather than having no dogs/cats at all.

I just hope you don't take this the wrong way, Sarah. It's clear how much you love your dogs. I am hoping the best for Max that he'll get a good home.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltese_Love
    Isn't she already getting another dog?
    No they decided not to get Tessa...

All dogs shed. Yes, even poodles and similar 'hypoallergenic' breeds. Molli sheds clumps at a time, especially when I brush her.

It's dander that causes allergies. It's true for some people 'hypoallergenic' breeds will cause less of an allergic reaction, but not for all people. Can't her dad take allergy medication? If sneezing is the only problem, medication will definatly help. I do, because I'm allergic to Sammy.

I'm very sorry for Max, I hope he goes to a good home, if that's the final word.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

How sad....
    It's not like it's a shock that a GSD sheds.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Sounds like maybe they shouldn't get another dog if they are getting rid of a dog for shedding.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I' sorry for Max and for Sarah but when you still live at home you have to live under the rules of the house . Just a shame dad didn't take a test drive with the dog before she got in love with him.
    I've been boo'dMerlin my angel

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom
    Sounds like maybe they shouldn't get another dog if they are getting rid of a dog for shedding.
    I agree.

if they bathe and brush Max on a regualr basis shedding wouldn't be much of a problem. Gracie is finally ending the worst shedding i've ever seen. she never clumped up. i brushed her out 2-3 times a day. there are shedding control meds that help the dogs not to shed as much, but i think it's an unneeded medication.

yes, all dogs shed, BUT some breeds shed a lot less than others. like a siberian husky is one of the worst shedders, but a poodle, bichon, yorkie, schnauzer, etc shed a heck of a lot less. they are also hypoallergic. i don't believe the desighner breeds that are suppose to be hypoallergic are any good. when i worked at the petstore my had a litter of "non-shedding" black labradoodles. i had never seen so much black hair! it was everywhere. i think it's stupid that people spend $$$$$ on these dogs when right now there is a 10month old schnoodle on death row in my local animal control. his adoption fee is $65! (sorry, i got WAAAY off topic )
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

It is very sad that Sarah's family is doing this, with seemingly no efforts to solve the problem. -_- Poor Max... they're already looking for a new dog before the even find a home for him??

I know for a fact that any dog's shedding will improve with a better diet. Gonzo sheds MUCH less on a raw diet, and shedded much less even on Evo. What is he eating? Are they adding any coat and skin-strengthening supplements, like fish oil & flaxseed? How often is he being brushed? He should be brushed with an undercoat rake and a bristle brush every single day, it is not that hard or time-consuming. Is her Dad POSITIVE it's the dog that is causing allergies, not just a reaction to seasonal allergens? Has he even looked into allergy meds?

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Quote Originally Posted by bckrazy
    It is very sad that Sarah's family is doing this, with seemingly no efforts to solve the problem. -_- Poor Max... they're already looking for a new dog before the even find a home for him??
    I agree. I was going to say the same thing. I can't believe they are already looking for a new dog when their other poor dog hasn't even found a home yet, and the reason they are finding a home for him is even sadder, when there is a lot of ways to help improve the problem.