Thread: Medicating Nightmare

Medicating Nightmare

We've been having a few "issues" lately and I believe I've become an expert at medicating cats.

Scooter is having problems with blood in the urine and a terrible odor. They took a culture and it came back clear of bacteria, but suspect an infection. He also has ear-mite issues;

Beavis has an eye infection and ear-mites;

Gypsy has ear-mites;

Bo is having sinus issues;

Blaze is still having thoart issues that will be a lifetime.

So....Scooter started out with Clindamycin drops and Mita-drops for the ears. Now they've switched him to Baytril pills twice a day.

Beavis gets Neo-Poly-Dex Opth Ointment twice a day in his eye and the Mita-drops.

Gypsy gets the Mita-drops.

Bo is getting Batril and Chlorpherniramine for sinus.

And Blaze get Predisone paste in his ear.

I feel all I'm doing is medicating all day long! I do believe I've become an expert though!
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Ha! You are better than I am... If Giz wises up and realizes her medicine is in her treat, we will have a problem....

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I'd rethink the Baytril useage. It's been ban by the FDA for use in chickens because it's harmful to humans.
    I've read other places on line that Baytril has killed dogs and cats.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Have you ever tried Revolution to prevent earmites? We started using it a couple of years ago for the indoor-outdoor boys. It's once a month, liquid on the back of the neck - prevents fleas, earmites, worms - and it works. The boys ears look as clean and pink as the day they were born.

You need a prescription in the US; but I found a place in Winnipeg, Manitoba, that is cheap and no prescription.

Thanks everyone!
    Craftlady, I will check on Baytril. Bo's been on it forever and does well, but I don't like the sounds of it. I really have so much faith in our vets, but this does worry me. Thanks for the heads up.

Grace, thanks for the info on Revolution. One of the strays we rescued brought in the ear-mites. We had problems with this sometime ago and all our cats were given a shot for ear-mites. It cleared it up and we haven't had a problem until now. Fortunately (so far) only a few have come down with them, but you know how that can go in a multi-cat household!
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

I use if I can liquid meds as I find it esier to wipe on thier paws.
    Good Luck, and Prayers to you and Your Clowder.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Lisa, I'm sorry to hear that you have to do so much medicating. It sounds like me. Even though I only have 5 cats, it seems like I'm always having to medicate some one. Right now it's Sky. I sure hope that everyone gets better very soon. Good luck and please keep us updated.