Thread: Chihuahua has slipped knee joint!* UPDATE* Pictures

Threaded View

Chihuahua has slipped knee joint!* UPDATE* Pictures

My son and daughter-in-law have owned a very sweet Chihuahua since January. Maybe a few of you have read my posts about our Miura.She is 7 months old now.

I have fallen head over heels in love with her since they got her!!!

Well, to get to the point, Miura injured herself last Thursday during a bath. She strained real hard , attempting to crawl out of the bath tub,(he also had his Springer/Lab dog, Lillie, in the tub as well) ,

After her bath,My son put a towel around her and took her outside. She let out a YIP after taking a few frisky steps, and since, has held her left hind leg up, walking on three legs. I'm sure Chihuahua owners have seen or heard of this condition. They brought her down to our house soon afterwards, and, I told them to make an appointment with their Vet ASAP!!!

They finially got the chance to get an appointment at their Vet. Miura has been diagnosed with a slipped knee joint. The Vet could feel inflammation as well and gave them an anti-iflammatory medication .,But wait, there's more.

Their Vet advised surgery to correct (I'm guessing the patella) joints' position. I wish I had accompanied my daughter-in-law this morning

My question: With the information I have given, is there a chance that this surgery can be avoided? As, their Vet was momentarily able to put the knee joint back in place --I am just hoping that the quadricep muscle, once relaxed, will allow Miura's knee joint to stay in place. I wish I had seen the x-ray. I have so many questions to ask their Vet now. I'm wondering if the ridges of her femur bone are too shallow, or, if she has suffered an injury that went un-noticed.
    Last edited by Dorothy39; 07-15-2006 at 10:02 AM.