Thread: Dog food

Dog food

I have read several times on this board that several of you get food from Petco, what was the brand again, I think Lou Lou needs to be switched to a higher quality food without the wheat and other items that you guys have made commets on that some dogs have allergies to. I live about 45 minutes for the pet stores around here so we have always given our dogs purina and ours vets have never told us that it was crappy food, so we thought it was fine, but since joining this board I have relized that I really do need to get to the pet stores to get their food. Thanks, Heather

You may not have to travel to Petco to find high quality food. most websites you can type in your Zip code and they will tell you the closest retailer for the food you want. You would be surprised that local kennels sell high quality food for other people besides thier own dogs. A decent All natural food can range from Chicken Soup Lovers For Pet lovers Soul, to Solid Gold Holistic Food. All depends on the price you want to pay.

http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/

http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/
    Tim ~ Majestic Collies

"Just when you think there are no Angels, a Collie comes into your life"
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take
    but by the moments that take our breath away"

GIVE ME THE HELPLESS, THE LOST, THE HOMELESS LITTLE ONES STRUGGLING TO LIVE; SEND THESE WEAK,
    ABANDONED LIVES TO ME, I OFFER HOPE, CARE, WARMTH AND MOST OF ALL LOVE,

Pledge of a Rescue Worker

I think the one at PetCo that people generally recommend is Natural Balance, here's their website with more about their food:

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/

As Tim said, sometimes other places will carry good foods too at feed stores or natural/holistic type stores. I get my Innova EVO from my vet's office.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Thanks to both of you, I requested a catolog for one. And for the Natural Balance it is in a small town 10 minutes away at Old Mill(never noticed this place before, it must be the oppistie side of town to where I normal go. I will have to check it out! Both my dogs shed alot, even with daily brushing and Lou Lou seems to have dry skin so hopefully changing their food to a higher quality will help.

My dogs are now on Nutro. When I went to their website and enter my zip code and sent me to a place just 10 minutes from here, the store is the oppiste way in town that everything else is and it is confussing from the outside, because it's just a pole barn looking bulilding, at at first it looks like it's just one store, A party store but it has the feed store and a dog groomer in the back of it with no real sign for the feed store and groomer! My dogs seemed to love the food. It will probally only cost me about $25 more a month in food and hopefully it helps with Lou Lou's skin and itchiness! Winchester also sheds alot so maybe on the better food his shedding won't be such a problem! Thanks for your help!

I feed Nutro too, and have noticed an incredible difference in Roscoe's coat and skin since making the switch. When we got him he was really skinny, dry skin, and his coat wasn't very shiny. Now he looks tons better.

My pups have only been on Nutro for less than a week and Winchester teeth look like some tater bulid up has gone away and Lou Lou doesn't seem to be itching as much. They have been eating it up at meal time so they must like it too! If I knew that switching them would make such a difference in short period of time, I would of switched them. Can't wait to see if the shedding decreases too. The store said I should notice a differece in about 3 weeks. I think I am going to figure out where to get Winchester a good raw bone to chew on to help with the tater build up. If I hadn't come across this board I would of never switched them off Purina dog food. Thanks everyone!

Yup my three are on Nutro as well and well I've ranted and raved about it so much in the past that I'll spare you all again. Let's just say I have no intentions of switching in the near future unless a medial problem arises that requires me to switch!

facebook

Nutro is certainly a step up from Purina. My dogs did okay on it, I found problems with their coats later in feeding it to them. I would feed it again if my current kibble (TimberWolf Organics) and RAW wasn't available to me.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

My local Petco sells several different brands of pre-packaged raw food, that would be my first choice.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Anyone have any suggestions for a PICKY, PICKY eater?
    Kibble, I mean.
    He is on Canidae now, he eats twice daily. He gets boiled chicken in his food and he's still picky. The dry is mixed with a little canned and then the chicken is mixed in. I'm telling you that at times you can hold a large piece of chicken in front of his face and he still has to sniff it, take a lick of it and then he really doesn't get all that excited.

He's been on Natual Balance and that really produced the GAS.......BIG TIME!!
    I thought I had a sewer leak at first and I'm not kidding! He's been on Nutro, and he didn't like that either, Chicken Soup...didn't like it. Eagle Pack...nope not that either. So I've just kept him on Canidae, he's not really excited about any of it. But Canidae does help give him an absolutely great coat and his skin is not dry. Collie's tend to get some flakey skin and he has none.

Oh, I've also tried EVO.........too rich and gassy too.