Thread: wild mushroom problem....

wild mushroom problem....

On Sunday my DH and I decided to do some yard work and in doing so we found this abnormally large sized mushroom growing in the back on a tree stump. It's hard to imagine with it's size that we missed it last time we did yard work, but we must have. So DH got rid of it, or so he thought. I took Bower out today to have a potty break and I noticed something in the yard, since we have a lot of trees it isn't uncommon to find dead birds (but it's usually spring time when the babies fall out of the nest) and that is what I thought it was. When I approached it I realized it was part of the cap of the giant mushroom. I was trying to pick it up with the pooper scooper (I don't know if they are harmful or not but have been told most are poisenous) but before I got it Bower ran under me and snatched it up. He ran around the yard with it for a brief moment and when I got it out of his mouth I noticed the insides were exposed. I did notice a couple puncture marks so I know he bit into it~so here is my question....I know mushrooms are bad for dogs so I can't imagine a wild mushroom could be any better but how sick can he get from that exposure? Are there any signs I should watch for? He hasn't changed his eating, drinking, sleeping or playing activities and it really doesn't seem like it affected him but after losing one pup I freak out over the littlest things. I just dread the day he goes to the vet and they tell me he has some incurable disease like our Bronxy.....Am I over-reacting? Thanks for any advice...Also I can take him the vet but I am not sure if I should or wait to see if anything happens....

Just watch him. Some mushrooms that grow on tree stumps are not at all poisonous, at least not around here. An old oak stump is the favorite growing spot for Chicken-of-the-Woods, a mushroomer's prize find.

Don't ever eat any wild mushroom without an expert's in-person confirmation, but not all mushrooms mean death.

Thanks for confirming my opinion....I live in michigan and I knew a family that went mushroom hunting (?)-not exactly sure but they hike through woods looking for mushrooms. Anyhow, I remember one said that there are only a few types of "wild" mushrooms that can be eaten. But like you said I am sure it wasn't hazardous....I'll watch him closely but so far so good. The mushroom was growing on an old oak stump...how'd ya know ? Thanks for the advice!

You and your husband probably didn't miss the mushroom, it probably just popped up since you last did the yard. They grow very quickly, some of them.
    We have field mushrooms pop up around here a lot in the grass. I know they are harmless for humans. Daisy always goes to sniff them, but doesn't eat them. I don't react. If I did, she'd probably want to munch down on them, (rebel that she is) But a couple of times some weird yellow mushrooms grew on my porch and i got rid of those, pronto.
    Religion is a smile on a dog.

It's raining cats and dogs!!!
    SPCA HOUSTON
    HABITAT FOR HORSES
    When it's in your best interest, practice obedience.