View Poll Results: Do you leave your pets in your car while shopping?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I do it all the time

9 27.27%
  • No I never would do it

14 42.42%
  • I don't usually bring my pet on car trips

10 30.30%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaving pets in cars

Leaving pets in cars

I was wondering today how fellow Pet Talkers feel about leaving their pets in cars when they grocery shop. We all have seen doggies in cars parked outside of places of business and I in fact always go over and have a conversation with the little pupsters whenever I notice them. Can't help myself! I guess they are probably safe (providing of course they are not left in a hot car on a hot day), but I feel a little leary of doing that myself. My family always tells me that I worry too much, but I would be afraid someone might break into my car and take my Bella. How do you all feel about this? Am I paranoid?

The boys (my cats) only go to the vets. When we had dogs we never took them shopping. I wouldn't leave them in the car anyway. I'm too afraid of something happening to them. Besides the hot car, there's the danger of someone teasing them just to be mean, or them jumping out when the door opens and getting lost. I just wouldn't risk it.

I wouldn't risk it either.. I won't leave my animals alone in the car, god knows if they could be stolen.. or something worse? - Rachel
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

No, between the fear of them escaping when the door opens and being teased ... ew! Also, we've had several fatalities here of fur-kids and of skin kids. Many people just don't realize how hot car interiors can get.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

There are probably 3 days a year that qualify as not too warm...not too cold....aren't going to be in the store too long...able to park where we can see the car from where we will be, etc. Okay, I'm exagerating about the 3 days, maybe it is 5! Our dogs love to go along, but rarely get to go because of all the conditions that have to be met. When we bought our last car the primary consideration was having a sunroof that could be left partially open to allow proper air circulation. Tucker is a good car rider, so calm and collected, just looks out the window. Hannah is the kind that thinks she has to go potty 5 minutes after we leave the house, so that trait in and of itself keeps her from going along many times when she could.

And I am sure that we are quite a sight with my husband and I eating in a restaurant where we have a window booth with me waiving at the dogs who are in the car parked in front outside the window.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

I wouldn't leave my dogs in the car unless I had to. They are too big to leave in a car for too long!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Yes

I dont do it all the time.. only if we go to the store at night.. we leave the windows cracked and we dont have to worry about anyone stealing him... he wouldnt go with anyone.. we only leave him in there if were going to be a few minutes he loves going for car rides. in fact.. one of his favorite things to do is sit in my dad's car while we are outside working on the yard or something!

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I take my dogs with me whenever I can. In the winter, spring and autumn I take them and leave the windows open enough for ventilation, and not open enough for a hand to reach in and unlock it. Kersey is secure in her crate and Graham has the rest of the car. The rear windows also vent (I have a mini van) and that also provides some ventilation. I lock up the car and it does have an alarm system, so that is another detterent. Even when I step out to get gas and pay for it I always lock my car when I have my pups (and even when I don't out of habbit). I would never, ever leave them in the car, even for just a moment, when it's warm enough outside that my car is warm when I get into it.

The thing with mixed breeds is that I think they are less of a target with "dog-nappers", at least that's what I have been told. I was told that dog-nappers more often target the pure breeds, rather then the mixed breeds. Of course I still worry about them, but I know they will be fine. Kersey is not real fond of driving yet because she's so motion sick, but Graham simply adores a car drive, even if it's just to get my oil changed or to go to the grocery store

Yes, we leave ours in the car, but not for extended periods of time. Generally not more than 15 or 20 minutes at a time. Just make sure they have ventilation.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

We do it all the time--EXCEPT when it's above 70 degrees or so, or when we can't park so that we can see the car easily from inside the store, or when we'll be gone longer than about 30 minutes. We leave the car locked and the windows down about 5-6 inches, and we've never had a problem. They love to ride in the car and they wait for us very nicely!

The hairy kids' photo album

Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.
    -Pythagoras

Rarely

But I have, just to run in and out somewhere. Honey and Lilly are both wonderful about staying put in their part of the car, never jumping over the seats. I would really worry if they did because one might try to slip out when I opened the driver's door. Never a concern, but here, heat is, so I don't do it very often, and if I have to run in and out real quick, and it is hot, Helen will stay in the car, with doors locked, a/c on.

Nothing is worse than seeing a dog in a car on a hot day.

I've left Kia alone in the car, but it's never for a very long extended period of time and only if I feel the weather is mild. If it's a hot summer day, I won't leave her in the car alone... I'll run my errands later when she's not with me.

Just this past Friday, Andy and I took Kia to a local State Park but we had some quick errands to run first. All of them were quick in and out trips, bank, grocery store, ect. (Some stops, either he or I would stay in the car... it was only the places where both of us had to go in that she was alone, obviously)

We did however swing by Taco Bell to have a quick lunch. We sat where we could see her thru the window. She was probably in the car for 15 minutes. The longest I've left her.... but I was comfortable with it because she could see me and I could see her.

I'll never purpously go shopping and take her with me just so I can have her in the car with me on the drive there and back.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I leave the girls in the car, but always for a quick stop. If I know I will be more then 5-10 minutes they stay home. If I get inside and it will be more then 5-10 mintues, (long lines etc) I would take them back home and stop later. When I can, i try to make at least 1 stop that they can get out...the pet store, a park, the dog bakery...somewhere o the trip is for them too. Also, if if is at all hot out they stay home.

If the weather is cool, I will leave
    Rocky and Sheba in the car for quick stops.
    I never leave Pepper alone in the car unless
    the big dogs are with her. I would be afraid someone
    would steal her.

----<---<--<{(@

Didn't answer b/c RARELY isn't a choice :)

Shaianne LOVED car rides and rode wonderfully from the day I got her. She never gave me any problems. I could leave her in there for upwards of a half hour or more and no problem.
    The day before she died I needed to run back home for an errand and I just kept thinking "take Shai with you, take her with you" and I did. Thank God b/c that was the last car ride she had while she was alive, she got to enjoy her favorite thing. I do not regret that at all.
    Keegan is another story b/c she is still so young. She has peed on my bed twice the last time was just a month ago, so I don't figger the car seat would be any different!!!! When she was very little she rode in a cat carrier that I bought for her and Kylie, when she couldn't fit in that anylong I tied her leash to the door handle to keep her in one spot. (she rode in the front seat) Now she has outgrown the front seat tho she doesn't seem to agree.
    So I have a sheet tucked around my back seat for her (had one for Shai too). She does pretty good so far! I try to never leave her for longer than 15 min if at all possible b/c I don't want her to destuff my car seat like she has her stuffies.
    I specifically bought a 4 door car for my dog/s. I looked at the 3 door Saturns but knew that Shai wouldn't like the way the back seat was so that shot that idea. I have considered trading my Alero (which I LOVE) in on an SUV for Keegan, but haven't taken that step yet, b/c I still love my car and its only a year old.
    I try NOT to take them very many places in the summer and if I do I roll down all the windows at least a little bit and beat it in the store and out asap. But when Shai and I traveled to MI last year with my parents she was only left in the truck outta necissity when we stopped to eat and we ate as fast as we could since it was warm out. We also stopped at Cabella's in Dundee MI and my mom purposely stayed out in the truck with her (she had already been in there before) so I could go in and enjoy it and not have to hurry thru.
    Both my girls have loved car rides but I don't make a habit of taking them places just because. I did occasionally with Shai b/c she was so good but Keegan is so hard to calm down and keep in the back seat for the first 10 min that it wears me out to fight with her and it simply isn't worth it just to run in and get milk. If I happen to be going somewhere and need to run an errand before I go I usually leave her at home and then run back and load her up unless it is too far outta my way. Both girls love/d going thru the bank b/c they get cookies and even the local carry out/drive thru store has them too!!!!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..