Thread: Hyper Bichon

Hyper Bichon

My grandma has a Bichon Frise, named Jewl Jolie- AKA JJ, that is about 1 year old. JJ is a very hyper dog and will hop all over my grandma and tear her skin. I'm wondering how you stop her from being so excited all the time and hopping all over my Grandma. She keeps JJ's nails short so not to scratch her as bad but she still does damage to her arms. JJ does not get daily exercise so I'm thinking that could cause some of the problem. I'm moving near my grandma and will be taking JJ for walks with Molli. I will also be helping my grandma train her. Any thoughts?

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

yeah shes bored, she needs somthing to do...she dosent get any excersise at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Danegirl2208
    yeah shes bored, she needs somthing to do...she dosent get any excersise at all?
    Well she gets to romp around the house and play, but that's about it. My grandma's neighbor takes her on walks a couple times a week. Bichons are not demanding in exercise, but it would definatly be better for her to get more... that's why I will be giving her more walks.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

yeah..im sure she'll settle down once you start walking her

My dads dog is 4 years old she is a bischon and hyper as all get out. She tears me and Marissa up everytime we walk into the door even if it is only an hour gone....LOL She is the best dog ever but just gets excited. Abby gets lots of exercise playing with marissa every day but she is still like that!
    Michelle

Someone better give my bichon Sammy a heads up that bichon's don't demand too much excersize...she is 9, and still loves to go on a mile to 2 mile walk!!!
    Anyways, bichon's are hyper, lol, at least the 3 I have had have been! Training her not to jump would be a good idea though, and also, the walks will definetely help! If your grandma can't take her on walks, does she have a fenced in yard that she could just play catch (if JJ likes catch) or just run and play in?

Steph

Ever hear of Soft Paws? They are little plastic nail caps meant for cats so they won't scratch the furniture. You super glue them on and replace them as they fall off. They actually really do stay on!

Chances are that JJ was never taught not to jump, and I doubt Grandmom would be consistent in training her anyway.... just an observation I made from seeing the older folks in my classroom. They desperately want to stop a bad behavior but can't seem to bring themselves to be consistent about stopping it. I have a lady now with a 12 week old golden who offered her to me last week (and trust me I was soooooo tempted to take this puppy!) just because the girl nips. They are NOT doing what I told them to do about nipping, and its only going to get worse from here as the puppy grows bigger and starts jumping and pulling on the leash.

Anyway, IF you think grandmom would be 100% (not 95% or 98%, but 100%) consistent in training, I'll write a short novel here about stopping jumping.

I agree with the soft paws, but they can still be painful on sensitive skin, mind you they won't break the skin. You could try dog booties too if the pup will keep them on. IMO, bichons are very energetic and need lots of exercise, the only reason they are considered low demand is because of their size.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Steph, no my grandma does not have a fenced in yard.

catnapper... My grandma is surprisingly very constistant and strict with her dogs. She's always had the most well trained dogs I've ever seen... this is her first she's had problems with. I would love for you to tell me how to stop jumping, and I could tell or show my grandma about it. Thanks for the replies everyone!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

JJ is so lucky you will be loving out there!
    Have your grandma teach her something "cute" like spinning, dancing, or rolling over when she gets exited , so she'll have an alternative for jumping up. Still too, more exercise is obviously in demand!
    Good Luck!!!!!!!

Catnapper, I'm curious as to what technique you recommend that your dog
    parents use to curtail puppy nipping. I could always use a new method in
    my book as I'm adding a new puppy to the household of the same breed as
    I now have. You never know, the method(s) that worked for me in the past,
    with past pups might not always work on the next.
    But most herding breeds can be more notorious for the nipping than others.
    I'm also hoping that my older dog (only 15months old now) will be of some
    help in other ways pertaining to behaviour etc.. as he has and does play with
    LOTS of other dogs in a contolled atmosphere at our local doggie daycare.
    He plays beautifully with 4 lb Pomerainians equally as well with 210 lbs
    Mastiffs. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper
    Anyway, IF you think grandmom would be 100% (not 95% or 98%, but 100%) consistent in training, I'll write a short novel here about stopping jumping.
    Could you tell me how me and my grandma could train her not to jump? Thanks.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Smile Helping Hand

maybe your dog is losing his eye site be carful..it may think there is a bergler in the house. take it to the vet i hope he feels better
    I love My Chewie!!!! My Little Chihuahua!!

Quote Originally Posted by IloveMyDogs900
    maybe your dog is losing his eye site be carful..it may think there is a bergler in the house. take it to the vet i hope he feels better
    I'm sure JJ can see fine. It doesn't seem to be her eyes and because she's so young I don't think that's a problem. She just needs more exercise.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*