Thread: New mother cat help

New mother cat help

My cat just had her first litter and she is wanting to move them to a hiding place. She seems to think they belong under the cushions of the couch and i can't convince her to keep them some place else. I've had this cat since she was born and she is very trustful to me. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
    Cbacus

Other folks here have way more experience with kittens than I do..but if she wants to hide them, you might try a closet with a big quiet corner and maybe borrow a litterbox cover - the ones that look like a little house?

Like a kid - wants a Secret Hiding Place!
    Catty1
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by cbacus
    My cat just had her first litter and she is wanting to move them to a hiding place. She seems to think they belong under the cushions of the couch and i can't convince her to keep them some place else. I've had this cat since she was born and she is very trustful to me. Any help would be great.
    This is perfectly normal. You need to make a place for her to hide them. Kittens that are that young are extremely delicate and vulnerable. Mother cats always want to protect them and hide them until they are walking. Make a box for her, or like Catty suggested, a closet with a litterbox cover, but with lots of blankets underneath. It doesn't matter how long you've had the mother cat, it's instinct and they generally know what is best for the babies.

Also, are you feeding Momma kitten food? If not, you need to start, it will help fortify her milk and make it more beneficial to the babies.

If you can, isolate her and the babies in a quiet room with the door closed. Make sure she has all the emenities of home. This way she and her babies will feel safe.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thanks for the advice. I was trying different boxes all night, but what finally helped was to have a box right next to my bed. For some reason she felt very safe next to me. I tried this idea when she decided to bring a kitten right on me while i was trying to sleep.

Aww...that sounds so very sweet! We would love to see pictures of your cat and her kittens. What is her name? Have you named the kittens yet? And we love pictures of cats at Pet Talk!

Spoiled child, bad
    Spoiled cat, good

My cats name is Zelda. The pic of the kittens is when she tried to keep them under the cushions of the couch. I don't have names for them yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zelda and Kittens.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	28961   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zelda.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	28962  

After she is done nursing this litter, PLEASE PLEASE get her spayed! There is so much more health benefits involved for her, plus there are already millions of animals in shelters who need homes and every kitten and puppy born takes away from their adoption.

i do plan to. this wasn't supposed to happen, but she got outside once and this happened.

i do plan to. this wasn't supposed to happen, but she got outside once and this happened.
    Good that's great to hear. Believe me, after growing up on a farm, I understand why people don't want to spay them, but it is better to do it, they turn into better pets.

Thanks for the advice. I was trying different boxes all night, but what finally helped was to have a box right next to my bed. For some reason she felt very safe next to me. I tried this idea when she decided to bring a kitten right on me while i was trying to sleep.
    At least she trusts you enough to want to share her babies with!

That's a high honor indeed!!!
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~