Thread: Flyball

Flyball

I have a 12 lb dog who loves tennis balls even though they are too big for her to hold comfortably in her mouth. I was wondering if small tennis balls can be used in flyball competitions, anyone know?

Yes we use small tennis balls all the time. Are you in training with your pup? What breed is she?

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

She is not in any training right now. I didn't really consider it until now, I thought that only standard size tennis balls could be used and they are too big for her to carry.
    I have another question too. Who loads the box with the ball during competitions? Does a team member or someone unaffiliated with the team? How do they know when to put the small balls in box, or would the entire team have to use small balls?

Each team has usually has their own box loader, someone that the dogs know. The box loader gets to know each dog and what type of ball they use, what way the dog turns etc.

People sometimes take the box loader for granted, but they just have to remember without them we would not be able to run .
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

the box loader is usually a team member but sometimes others will help out, before the run the team compan uses hand signals to let the boxloader know what order the dogs are running in and the direction they turn, they are told beforehand if any of the dogs require special balls. boxloaders over here are never taken for granted at all the tournys have special prizes and draws that are just for the boxloaders. the club I was a member of tried to avoid using small balls if possable, but they are allowed. Happys moms refused to take a ball if it was not popped lol so we had to keep broken tennis balls in a pail just for her
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

LOL, I know, I'm horrible at loading! I get way too distracted if a dog bobbles or if a ball flies at me, and I have completely forgotten what side dogs are on.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

LOL i used to box load for a dog who could easily fit 3 - 4 tennis balls in his mouth at once and he would get his own ball then wander over to the other lane and take their ball ... you would think he would be pulled from comp but nope it was "funny".. people sure dont think sometimes.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*