Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon Powershot S2 IS: photography, help and advice

Canon Powershot S2 IS: photography, help and advice

As many here seems to own the Canon PowerShot S2 (and as it seems, several others are planning to get it ), I thought we could start a discussion thread here were we can share photos and help each other to get to know the camera better. We could share our experiences and maybe learn from each other.

What do you think about it?

I got my camera two weeks ago, and I'm still practicing. Here are some examples of what I've tried so far (some of them were already posted in other photo threads).

Indoors, close up of Lily:

Macro shot, outdoors

Landscape

Zoom, landscape

Zoom, small objects

Here, the camera definitely reaches its limits! Even though the 12x optical zoom works great, I didn't manage to get a clear picture of this stork family. It's appr. 200 meter away and tried to take it from a little window in the roof of the bathroom in my office. I never managed to get a clearer picture.

(On shorter distances, the zoom works fine! The other day, I took a nice close-up of my neighbors daughter from my window on the second floor. )

Select one color

This is fun! In the Color Mode, you can select one color which you want to appear in the picture, and the rest of the photo will be black and white!

I would love to see YOUR photos made with the S2, and read about experiences!

Kirsten
    Last edited by Kirsten; 07-04-2006 at 01:06 PM.

Another one: You should definitely try this! (12x optical zoom + 4x digital zoom):

Can't wait for the full moon now!

Kirsten

Oh Kirsten, I'm so glad that you posted these! I'm searching right now for my replacement camera (in case mine doesn't show up in a pawn shop within a few weeks) and I was liking the reviews and features on this camera! That and the S3... of course bottom line price will be the determining factor in which one I ultimately choose. Looks like the S2 is a winner! Can you post more pics?

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Wow, I especially like the shot of the bees (or flies), that's incredible! My boyfriend is looking to buy me a camera, and, he's looking at a Canon. I would love to be able to take macro photos that good!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Wow Kristen, you read my mind. All of your photo's are absolutly stunning. Here are some of my pictures, I am definently still learning, since I have only had this camera for two full days.

As you can see, I've mostly been playing around with the super macro and the Color Mode.

Super Macro

Super Macro w/ Color Mode

Super Macro

Macro w/ Color Mode

Macro *I think*

DeviantArt
    Beth-
    Maggie [lab x germanshepherd], Autumn [Cattle dog x chow], C.P. [Domestic short hair] Henry [domestic short hair] Mittens [siamese/ x ], Buck [paint horse], Indy [Paint horse]

Kristen (and any other S2 owners) what size do you take your pictures in? And do you use, Fine, Super fine *I think that's what its called*, or normal? Also, what battery brand are you using?
    DeviantArt
    Beth-
    Maggie [lab x germanshepherd], Autumn [Cattle dog x chow], C.P. [Domestic short hair] Henry [domestic short hair] Mittens [siamese/ x ], Buck [paint horse], Indy [Paint horse]

I like this thread! I am an intruder though I bought the S80 and not the S2! May I still join you? Both cameras have similar functions, so I should be able to follow the discussions.

I have chosen the S80 because I wanted a good digital camera to replace my 4 year-old Nikon, that I could bring everywhere, and I like very much the format of the S80. In the same time I also wanted to have manual functions that allow a lot of creativity. I am very happy with this choice. The only regret I have when I see the moon picture of Kirsten, is that I do not have the zoom tele of the S2!

I have also started playing with the Macro mode and the color functions, the result is sometimes so funny! I just have to find time to post the pics, it is a problem for me because I am on PT at work, most of the time. But I'll try to do my best to share my first pics with you

@Toby's my baby: Wow!! Your photos are awesome, you have learnt quickly to use that cam!

I especially love this one, it's great:

Well, the manual recommends "Fine" for photos, and "Superfine" for videos. I've tried both, and I don't think it does any harm if you take photos with the "superfine setting".

I'm using rechargeble Ni-MH batteries, the brand is called Bilora.

Another thing: as the camera came only with a 16 MB memory card, I had to buy another one. Got a 1 GByte card from amazon for only 20 Euro, that should be enough. But don't use those by Hama, they're not good.

@Kim: I'm sorry that you have to look for a new camera under these circumstances. Heard that the S2 and the S3 are very similar. Of course the S3 should have some more features, but it's 150 - 200 € more!

I posted a link for finn's mom that should also be interesting for you. You'll find a list of all digicams, and when you click them, you'll see photos made with them. The page is in German, but that should be no problem:

Canon cameras

All Digicams

Hope this helps!

@Sonia: Of course you can join! It will be interesting to see your pictures!

Kirsten

Thanks Kristen! I'll have to find some new batteries, as I always need more than one set of batteries. I bought a new mem. card yesterday, 1G, for $50, and a new camera case.

Kari, both links that Kristen provided are great, you can also check out: www.dpreview.com

I read somewhere, that the S2 and S3 were so similar, that your best bet was to get the S2 because of its price, unless money isn't an issue
    DeviantArt
    Beth-

I have also ordered a camera case, it should arrive the next days.

As Kim has asked to post more photos, I'll post two more:

A formation of clouds today:

And another one of the moon, this time without the digizoom (only 12x optical zoom), and in the landscape mode. Seems to be a little more clearer in landscape mode:

And here's one I took last weekend in the dawn, without using flash.

Kirsten

Amazing pics everybody! I think it's awesome what you can all do with the S2... I'm getting more and more convinced that I won't consider any other brand when I get a new camera (hopefully it's gonna be this year)
    Lola, the mutt, 2 years old

Anita, the dachshund, 7 years old

Ah, you guys take such beautiful photos. I want either the S2 or S3, but since I've seen all these photos, I think the S2 looks pretty good.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

I see Canon is getting more and more fans here!

I just took a picture that was really difficult to make. It's far from being perfect, I know, and unfortunately, the lightning isn't more centered. I used ISO400, that's why it's sort of "dirty", and I have no tripod. I tried to vary the aperture and the exposure time, but it wasn't working, so I used the P-mode, which worked much better (looks I really have to learn a lot about photography):

Kirsten

Ah, I love the picture, except for the bottom part. Would have been much better if the lights hadn't showed up in that one section, but I still love the pic
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

You mean, like this?

I think you're right, the lights were disturbing...

Kirsten